• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    I am going on a fishing trip in june to red lake. Just thought I would see if anyone had any experience fishing up there. I have never been up there so what kind of bait should I use?We are gona be fishing for walleye and northern . Also what is a good pole to use a light or medium?

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    Bring a good selection of rattletraps. Its full of pike and most are in shallow water near cabbage. Burn rattletraps over the cabbage and you will have a blast! I thought crawdad was one of the better colors both natural and red craw.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I love it up there, you will never want to fish here again.

Your gonna need some bottom bouncers, I've had pretty good luck with neon green and Orange synthetic grubs. We do a lot of trolling for walleyes, they're good eating. I use spinner bait for the smallmouth. We max out every day we are there. The old fisherman wind rule seems to stay true up there too

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You are gonna LOVE Red Lake! We have been up in that general area several times, and my FIL has fished Red Lake for years.

My Northern and Bass lures have been:

- Mepps #4 and #5. Various colors, but white, black, and red/yellow (with or without bucktails) seem to work for me.
    - Jointed Rappalas in trout or chartreuse.
    - Daredevils in red/white or copper
    - Johnson Spoons for fishing the weed beds for HUGE Northerns.
    - I've had a little luck with weedless worms and bass or small pike in thick cover. I just don't use rubber stuff that much, though.
    - I've always done minnows or leaches and jigs for Walleye.

I've got some medium-weight rods, about 6-foot or so, that have worked really well. I also have a heavy 7-footer, but don't end up using it much. 6# or 8# line and steel leaders. We have also used our fly rods for bass (TONS of fun) or even pike (holy COW that's a blast).

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Btw make sure you pick up some steel line leaders, pike love to bite your rigs off.

He speaks the truth. My mother was born up there so we used to go there for 2-3 weeks every summer. I lost the biggest pike I ever had on the line due to a worn leader. Got it up to the boat and snap.... I liked red&white spoons the best for pike.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    - Johnson Spoons for fishing the weed beds for HUGE Northerns.

Johnson Silver Minnows work great. I also like the Northland Studfinder and Booby Traps for big pike. Both can be had at the Indianapolis BS&T show next month. Suicks also work great, which can be had on eBay. The "Ye Olde Tackle Box" in North Webster, Indiana has most of these items as well.

I prefer 80-100 pound test fluorocarbon leaders for pike and muskie becasue they last much longer. You can get them on eBay.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I love using white 1/4oz jigs and find flowing water around rocks in a narrow channel or where a river flows in or out and bounce them thru the current for walleye. We went up to Chippai lake in Ontario and my cousin and I and another guy caught 300 walleye in a day. We used night crawlers on the jigs in a deep channel. I love fishing for walleyes.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I have never been to red lake but I used to go to lac suel every year.
    1.) a northern will hit about anything and they will tear it up make sure you bring a bunch of clasped lures I also found that the floating mice and stuff worked great. you will find them mostly in the thick stuff. what ever you go with make sure you have a steel leader on it.
    2) walleye are a little harder to catch do not use a leader so you can feel them bite and you will always hook them in the same spot so you don't need one anyway. you should be in about 12-18 ft of water use about 6lb test. I always just used a jig tipped with a night crawler your best bet would be to buy a flat of night crawlers while you are here.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    I agree with everything said You will love it wether you catch anything or not. Make sure you have steel leaders and i prefer the kevlar lines not sure you want to take a light pole unless you are also looking for pearch

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    A group of us went up to Trout Lake (just NE of Red Lake) a few years back. I used an Ugly Stick (medium rod) for both walleye & pike. Its a versatile rod and worked well. We used minnows and jigged for walleye. One of our guys used a very light rod while jigging and said it was a blast. As far as the pike, the best luck was had on a pink & blue Mepps spinner (#4 or 5).

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    I go up thru lac sul almost every year to Minaki,ON we fish the Winnepeg river system. 1/2oz rattle traps silver and blue or black cant be beat. If you want nice big pike, just go buy some cheap 1/2oz bass spinner baits in chartuese or white, and you may use 2 per day before the pike so gracefully remove the skirt. At $3 each at walmart who cares. I use Chartruese, or Firetiger Storm Wiggle warts, and the silver/blue rattle traps for walleye and fish points maybe with a few weeds in 3-10ft of water. I don't use live bait up there anymore. We almost always took 12doz crawlers but always brought 11doz home never had much luck on them. so!
    1/2 oz silver Traps with blue or black
    1/2 oz bass spinnerbaits white or chartruese
    Storm wiggle warts firetiger, or chartruese.
    #5 Mepps inline spinners in 3 diff colors, white, black, and bucktail
    and a Rapala shad Rap chartruese goes a long way.
    steel leaders, I prefer black.
    Red Lake is known for big muskie I believe, Muskie are very territorial, so if you get a follower 1 day and he don't take it, hit that spot the next day, and the next. They seem to be anywhere that the wind is not for me. When Im fishing Muskies up there, I hit the dark coves and usually without wind. I'll be up in Minaki the last week in June.
    Good Luck!

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Never been to Red Lake..... but fished Simonhouse Lake in upper Manitoba a few times. Very similar fishing and catches, from what I understand.

Like IndyColtsFan.... I used an Ugly Stick for one. And it's not over-kill as far as a rod goes.... cause you can hook some pretty hefty Walleye up there..... not to mention the Whites.

We always ran the boat to an area across the lake from our campsite, and found a spot where (both morning and late afternoon*) the trees on the shoreline of a 'point', threw a shadow on part of the water. Casting your lure right at the line where the sunlight and shade met...... was awesome fishing. You won't be disappointed once you experience the Canadian fishing.

* Now that I sit and think about it, it wasn't really late afternoon. It was more like mid-evening (about 7-9PM), as the sun didn't set until about 10:30PM that far north, in June and July.

Last edited:

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I was in Canada fishing last summer with my family. We always have success with Johnson spoons - the bigger the better. This summer I had a lot of success with bait that looked like whitefish

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Big Pike? Large weedless silver spoon with long split tail white pork rind trailer.

Walleye? Chartreuse jigging spinner rig, 3/4 oz weight with minnows.

My target? Small-mouth, the prime-rib of Canadian shield lake fish!

Muskeye ? Figure eight trolling moderate deep lipped artificial over a long underwater shallow rock tongue.

Google Totem Lodges and Yellowbird. I can see them from the dock on our family island on Long Bay, Lake of the Woods.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I wasn't able to go, but a couple of buddies went up about 5 or 6 years ago and each caught lake trout over 30 lbs. It's on their list to revisit and I'm hope I can swing it next time around.

Top Bottom