• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The laws in the Canadian province of Newfoundland resemble that of a Police State. Their Law Enforcers need no reason to stop drivers. The legal limit for alcohol is now 0.00 BAC. It is illegal to text message, talk on a cell phone, or even think about using an electronic device.

Its pretty ugly up there. We have the 4th Amendment for a reason.

CBC News - N.L. police need no reason to stop drivers

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That's 0.00 for someone accompanying a "novice" driver, and 0.05 for all others (from your link). I'm not sure what a "novice" is, but I assume this is for adults teaching their kids how to drive.

These new "safety stops" sound almost like our "sobriety checkpoints" here in the states. Is Canada catching up to US?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i do not see a problem.
    hey it is illegal to run out of fuel on the Autobahn... kinda seems more loss of freedom there dont you think?

side note, here cdl drivers are allowed only a .04 bac

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Really not much different than here. Does a US cop really need a reason to pull somebody over? technically yes, but the way around that is to put just about everything that has to do with a car, or driving a car, under strict control. Oh, and let's not forget the huge amounts of money brought in by cops enforcing these strict controls. What you get as a result is, as the title of your post states, no rights and no freedom.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    i do not see a problem.
    hey it is illegal to run out of fuel on the Autobahn... kinda seems more loss of freedom there dont you think?

Yes it does seem like a loss of freedom. I, for one, have a problem with losing my freedom.

Really not much different than here. Does a US cop really need a reason to pull somebody over? technically yes, but the way around that is to put just about everything that has to do with a car, or driving a car, under strict control. Oh, and let's not forget the huge amounts of money brought in by cops enforcing these strict controls. What you get as a result is, as the title of your post states, no rights and no freedom.

You're right. At least they are honest in Canada; Government is in control. You have no rights.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i like my freedom of not being in another crash and going home tonight because somone was on their phone again as well. (not the way it ended up in 2 past crashes where people had hit me)

so if its a freedom we can talk or text on a cell phone while driving, is it a freedom brain surgeons can talk or text on their phones while performing brain surgery on you? would you be ok with that scenario?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    i like my freedom of not being in another crash and going home tonight because somone was on their phone again as well. (not the way it ended up in 2 past crashes where people had hit me)

so if its a freedom we can talk or text on a cell phone while driving, is it a freedom brain surgeons can talk or text on their phones while performing brain surgery on you? would you be ok with that scenario?
    I know what your saying, I will occasionally answer my phone if it rings while I'm driving, but I don't dial, and I certainly don't text. However, when a cop can stop you because you have a broken lens on a tail-light, I see absolutely zero risk to other drivers, and an obvious "keep digging til I find something good" angle being worked. We have let this crap grow and grow, not only on the highways, but everywhere else in our lives, too, and I really can honestly say, we are not much different anymore than any other ****hole country in the world.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I know what your saying, I will occasionally answer my phone if it rings while I'm driving, but I don't dial, and I certainly don't text. However, when a cop can stop you because you have a broken lens on a tail-light, I see absolutely zero risk to other drivers, and an obvious "keep digging til I find something good" angle being worked. We have let this crap grow and grow, not only on the highways, but everywhere else in our lives, too, and I really can honestly say, we are not much different anymore than any other ****hole country in the world.

the part about light lenses being broken and that kind of stuff i can agree with you on that part...

if i recall coreectly in germany, cars do not come equiped with cup holders because a car is for driving, not a place to set drinks or talk on the phone (i want to say its illegal too on the autobahn to drive and talk at the same time but i cant find anything on that at the moment)

i know most people dont want truckers talking and texting on their cell phones... and i know when im driving my school bus i dont want to deal with the idiots that cut me off because they cant pay attention with the phone shoved up their face... not much fun trying to keep a 40+foot 40,000 pound vehicle under control because of distracted drivers... only imagine if you double the weight with a semi... some people will never understand that though...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

It most certainly is a freedom. We don't need laws dictating every single activity in our lives. That's not freedom. That is Big Government.

I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. I can also drive and talk at the same time. Its actually different than brain surgery in a few ways. No, I definitely will fight against giving Government another reason to ticket/tax me, search me, and harass me.

if i recall coreectly in germany, cars do not come equiped with cup holders because a car is for driving, not a place to set drinks or talk on the phone (i want to say its illegal too on the autobahn to drive and talk at the same time but i cant find anything on that at the moment)

Is that due to customer demand or because of laws? If customers in Germany don't like to buy cars with cupholders, then good for them. Personally I like to have cup holders. Hell, sometimes I like to put drinks in my cupholders. Anybody have a problem with that?

I don't believe it is the right of government to tell manufacturers where they can have cup holders and where they can't. That is Big Government.

i know most people dont want truckers talking and texting on their cell phones... and i know when im driving my school bus i dont want to deal with the idiots that cut me off because they cant pay attention with the phone shoved up their face... not much fun trying to keep a 40+foot 40,000 pound vehicle under control because of distracted drivers... only imagine if you double the weight with a semi... some people will never understand that though...

People get into this mindset that there needs to be a law against every little behavior, no matter how ridiculous and unenforceable it is. Please, don't be one of those people. I don't want to roll around in a plastic bubble, sheltered from everything dangerous. We cannot have laws banning everything.

A law about truckers text messaging would be completely unenforceable, and stupid. Are cops going to fly around in helicopters to try to see if a trucker has a phone in his lap?? Nobody can see what they are doing, so creating one more useless law is not the answer. I believe truckers have more than enough incentives to drive safely, some stupid traffic ticket isn't going to be more scary than crashing a semi and losing your trailer, killing people, losing your job, etc. They already know the responsibility they hold. If they ignore that responsibility, they will ignore a ridiculous law.

I posted this so it would make you enjoy and appreciate what freedom we still have left in America. Not try and hurry the process of us becoming a fascist Police State.

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    lets face it, most of us could not pass a euro driving test. hell in finnland you HAVE to know how to powerslide a car, in order to pass the test. when was the last time anyone has driven 130+ down a highway, not a lot of room to sip a starbucks then. both hands, both eyes and 100% of the weapon your are responsible for should be focused on the task at hand. not your taco.

the laws you should be worried about are helmet/seatbelt laws. you want to kill yourself, thats your choice.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Let's weigh it in then. What costs more money?

Someone talking on their phone and hitting other drivers or paying a whole new branch of government to monitor and control every road on the planet and hand out expensive tickets for violations that caused no damage?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you get pulled over in Canada and they ask you to blow for a field sobriety test and you refuse it is a legal admission of guilt. Game over, you have a DUI.

Top Bottom