• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Kirk...several years ago,travelling and speaking in churches in Ontario province,and Alberta,I became aware of laws that prohibit "hate" speech in Canada.It is entirely possible to be arrested for saying certain things in churches.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Kirk, you are absolutely right about Canada being held up as some kind of bastion of the ultimately evolved civilization, never mind the lack of freedom and the fact that their defense spending is relatively negligible on account of living in our shadow. That said, if the First Amendment proves to hold as much weight as the Second, we might as well get ready for the fight now.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Kirk, you are absolutely right about Canada being held up as some kind of bastion of the ultimately evolved civilization, never mind the lack of freedom and the fact that their defense spending is relatively negligible on account of living in our shadow. That said, if the First Amendment proves to hold as much weight as the Second, we might as well get ready for the fight now.

A few points:
    - Canada does not have a separation between church and state like the US does. They do have freedom of speech, but hate speech is not accepted. That is the same in the US. I am not familiar with this author, so I will refrain from speculating if she could qualify as hate speech. I'm also curious if this event is truly Gov't sanctioned or a one off incident by an overly eager LEO.
    - Canada is more free than the US in some areas, and less free in others. In fact, in economic freedom, Canada is generally ranked as "more free" than the US.
    - I'm not sure why defence spending is a topic in this thread, but Canada does not live in the shadow of the US. They just don't stick their noses in everywhere and to the same extent that the US does. They also have 1/10th the population, so I would expect that their spending is reduced. The US overspending does not mean that other countries are underspending.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A few points:
    - Canada does not have a separation between church and state like the US does. They do have freedom of speech, but hate speech is not accepted. That is the same in the US. I am not familiar with this author, so I will refrain from speculating if she could qualify as hate speech. I'm also curious if this event is truly Gov't sanctioned or a one off incident by an overly eager LEO.
    - Canada is more free than the US in some areas, and less free in others. In fact, in economic freedom, Canada is generally ranked as "more free" than the US.
    - I'm not sure why defence spending is a topic in this thread, but Canada does not live in the shadow of the US. They just don't stick their noses in everywhere and to the same extent that the US does. They also have 1/10th the population, so I would expect that their spending is reduced. The US overspending does not mean that other countries are underspending.

First, Canada is very restrictive with 'hate speech'. For example, I have read several complaints from ministers who cannot even read the Bible from the pulpit without being in violation. As for the individual at issue, she has a long history of being very critical of Islam's wrong-doing, particularly the encroaching influence of Sharia. I have yet to hear her say anything incorrect in any sense of than being 'politically incorrect'.

As for mention of the military, my point was that our leftists hold this up as being a sustainable model (which it isn't in the absence of a powerful friendly neighbor) and as a justification for gutting the defense budget (which could use some attention but not in the way they would do it) and use the money for social programs for which there is absolutely no constitutional authority. While I was broadening the scope, it fits well with the general argument that we should aspire to be more like Canada with its minimal defense spending, massive social programs, greater police authority, fewer rights, and prohibitions against 'hate speech'.

I absolutely disagree regarding other countries underspending. Unfortunately, this is largely a product of our overspending to subsidize their defense--a problem which really does need corrected.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree there is something wrong with this instance,but as a general rule free speech in Canada far exceeds the US standard.They have laws that protect free speech,the right to assemble(very large crowds),and no permit is EVER needed.

There was a big stink about it last year when some politicians tried to pass a law requiring permits for groups larger than 50.In response over 400,000 people protested,and the new law was killed.Of course you heard zip about this in the land of permits for free speech.I posted about it at the time here.... https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ebec_and_total_silence_from_the_us_media.html

Top Bottom