• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Is that classy? I personally WON'T sing the national anthem of of anyplace but my own. Ill stand up and show due respect, but songbook only has room for one national anthem. I find it odd that anyone would even commit time to learn it. I know I'm being a bit of hater, but it just seems so strange. Could the crowd have been mostly American?

All due respect...

Ok, seriously, I completely respect your stance, but I see it differently.

Canada, our neighbor to the north, has been a strong ally for decades. Sure we likely don't see eye-to-eye on everything, but that doesn't mean they aren't our friend. Their soldiers have fought alongside our soldiers in the trenches. They backed us in wars and conflicts that they may not have wanted to, but they did because we're "friends" and friends will do anything for one another. I don't feel that singing another country's anthem is a sign of split allegiance, or a lack of allegiance to your own country, but rather a sign of strong respect for the other country and it's citizens. Like you clap for an opposing player when he gets up from an injury at a sporting event, the Canadians sang the remainder of our national anthem for us when technical difficulties stopped it prematurely. They didn't sing it because they like our country better, some of them may not even like us at all; they sang it because they hold a great level of respect for us.

If I knew the words to O' Canada I would absolutely reciprocate in a similar situation. I'm about as American as they come, huge pride in our country and it's people, and most importantly our heritage... but I would sing O'Canada if I needed to.

Just my thought... you're entitled to your thoughts too...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    All due respect...

Canada, our neighbor to the north, has been a strong ally for decades. Sure we likely don't see eye-to-eye on everything, but that doesn't mean they aren't our friend. Their soldiers have fought alongside our soldiers in the trenches. They backed us in wars and conflicts that they may not have wanted to, but they did because we're "friends" and friends will do anything for one another. I don't feel that singing another country's anthem is a sign of split allegiance, or a lack of allegiance to your own country, but rather a sign of strong respect for the other country and it's citizens. Like you clap for an opposing player when he gets up from an injury at a sporting event, the Canadians sang the remainder of our national anthem for us when technical difficulties stopped it prematurely. They didn't sing it because they like our country better, some of them may not even like us at all; they sang it because they hold a great level of respect for us.

If I knew the words to O' Canada I would absolutely reciprocate in a similar situation. I'm about as American as they come, huge pride in our country and it's people, and most importantly our heritage... but I would sing O'Canada if I needed to.

Hey, I'm not saying I'm right. It's possible I could be swayed... it's a remote possibility, but you guys are providing solid reasonings.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    All due respect...

Good stuff for me to think about tonight :yesway:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've spent a lot of time in Canada and my family owns property there. I've always felt like the people and the way of life in the little town we go to is more like they used to be in this country a long time ago.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Very possibly. ...but when I sing the anthem, or hear a good rendition, I get chills. I song has a powerful effect on me...

There have been several times that I have heard our National Anthem and thought that the singer (s) did an awesome job. There are 2 that stick out to me, Whitney Houston's and Madison Rising's renditions.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There have been several times that I have heard our National Anthem and thought that the singer (s) did an awesome job. There are 2 that stick out to me, Whitney Houston's and Madison Rising's renditions.

Odd that the most famous crackhead... sorry cokehead... of all time gave one of the best, if not THE best, renditions of the national anthem.

Top Bottom