• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They, unlike the US, are getting rid of their penny. It's costing them too much to manufacture and it costs businesses too much to count and transport. They'll be rounding to the nearest 5 cents and saving money. Ours costs too much to make and process, too, but our politicians have no will to get rid of it. Probably too many penny wrapper lobbyists in DC don't want it to go away.

Canada to take penny out of circulation - Yahoo! News

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Speaking of things that cost much more than they are worth, I wonder how much we might save by getting rid of fearless leader.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And what? replace him with someone who gets just as big a paycheck? Spends just as much, but differently? You assume there'd be a significant difference between him and a replacement from the establishment. And we'd still be stuck with the useless penny.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    And what? replace him with someone who gets just as big a paycheck? Spends just as much, but differently? You assume there'd be a significant difference between him and a replacement from the establishment. And we'd still be stuck with the useless penny.

We're busy preparing to debase our nickels. Give 'em time, they can only do one money-saving thing at a time.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011

You're making a good number of assumptions about my assumptions.

What we do know is that fearless leader has outspent every executive that came before him. He is worse than a useless penny. He is a bad penny..... he is a marxist pig.

The real question is whether or not the republic can survive a citizenry that would elect fearless leader or another of his ilk.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Who was the last real leader to occupy the White House?

It is certainly not fearless leader. fearless leader is neither fearless nor a leader.

The last real leader? Reagan would be the most recent closest thing to a real leader in my lifetime, but I would have to go with Washington.

Of course, he never occupied the White House. Given the White House restriction, perhaps I will go with Jefferson.

Last edited:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    It is certainly not fearless leader. fearless leader is neither fearless nor a leader.

The last real leader? Reagan would be the most recent closest thing to a real leader in my lifetime, but I would have to go with Washington.

Of course, he never occupied the White House. Given the White House restriction, perhaps I will go with Jefferson.
    Well none of them are on the ballot, so we'll need to manage our expectations.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Well none of them are on the ballot, so we'll need to manage our expectations.

Indeed.

I expect the ballot will offer two options. ****ty and ****tier.

Clearly, citizens of the republic have very low expecations.

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Replace the penny? Everything will be rounded up, never down. Just the trick to set off a new inflationary cycle.

Besides, we always see those postings where some one says "That's just my :twocents:." :n00b:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Replace the penny? Everything will be rounded up, never down. Just the trick to set off a new inflationary cycle.

Besides, we always see those postings where some one says "That's just my :twocents:." :n00b:
    If it's rounded to the "nearest" 5 cents then sometimes it will fall in favour of the store and sometimes it will fall in your favour. It all works out in the end and we save millions of dollars.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I expect the ballot will offer two options. ****ty and ****tier.
    I couldn't help but laugh at that one.

Back on topic, there are plenty of studies and reasons to eliminate them. The most compelling is the drawers full of them that many of us have. They cost physically more than they are worth and the man hours necessary to count and manage them is also significant. I'm sure if Congress can find a way to line their own pockets in the process, they'd probably go for it. Besides they have more important things to concern themselves with, like re-election.

Maybe we start smaller and eliminate the .9 cent on each gallon of gas?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If it's rounded to the "nearest" 5 cents then sometimes it will fall in favour of the store and sometimes it will fall in your favour. It all works out in the end and we save millions of dollars.

I'd bet the remaining stash of pennies that it will never be rounded down. Evar!

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Not intending to offend anyone here, and this is just my take on this..... WHO CARES???? Don't we have MUCH more pressing issues to get our collective panties in a bunch about other than worrying about the penny?:dunno:

Again, just my :twocents: HOO.... I just made a funny!:D

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Butter's I am so happy you are now at least finding people in the New World that are better than us dumb Americans. You are getting so much closer to the greatest, smartest country in the world. Just a little bit further south and I think you will have it.

Seriously though, congrats for crossing the Atlantic this time to find another country you think is better/smarter etc... I hope one day you will hold your fellow citizens intelligence up there with the citizens of Guatamala or Mexico. Fingers crossed!!!!

Last edited:

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Over 95% of transactions are done electronically. Cash is becoming obsolete. It's not just the penny. Of course the only reason some one would want to use cash is if they are up to something shady :) Also, the government and banks love electronic money. Much easier to track and steal!!!

Top Bottom