Cancer patient told she had to abide by dress code. What says INGO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Then why do they exist at all if "sometimes" they don't apply. And, why aren't the exceptions listed where they don't...............

You make exceptions because you can't foresee every situation that might exist and make a rule for it.
    That's why you allow judgement to recognize the greater good.
    Like not giving a speeding ticket to the guy driving 45 in a 30 mph zone because he was taking his bleeding kid to the Emergency Room.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    All the "exceptions" can't possibly be listed. Everybody wants exceptions which apply to their personal situation. As alluded to previously, "zero tolerance" rules are for people who can't, or can't be trusted to, make a reasonable decision. Sometimes exceptions should be allowed. If you can't make that distinction, you shouldn't be in a position which requires you do so.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    All the "exceptions" can't possibly be listed. Everybody wants exceptions which apply to their personal situation. As alluded to previously, "zero tolerance" rules are for people who can't, or can't be trusted to, make a reasonable decision. Sometimes exceptions should be allowed. If you can't make that distinction, you shouldn't be in a position which requires or allows you do so.

FIFY

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Cheese and rice! Let her wear the dam hat.

Speaking of chemo.. . . My mommy goes next Wednesday for a mastectomy. Prayers and good vibrations appreciated. She is 79. Any surgery at that age is major. Sorry for the hi-Jack. Just caught me thinkin about it.:hijack:

Best wishes to your mom! and your whole family too!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Spirit of the rules vs. the letter of the rules.

Chalk this one up to a bunch of wimps who have grown up in zero-tolerance atmospheres...who cannot think for themselves.

However - their place, their rules. Bad form? Sure.

But I'd rather a business be free to practice bad form than to be artificially barred from it by an overreaching Federal or State government.

I'm pretty much with you on this one... zero tolerance is stupid, but in the end, their place, their rules... and let folks make their own decision if they want to spend money there or not.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Would a hat with a brim keep her head warm?
    Did she bring a hat with a brim?

Some classy clubs keep a couple of sport coats and ties around for those few patrons that might not fit the dress code.

Maybe this place needs to keep a few assorted hats with brims for these occasions.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Some classy clubs keep a couple of sport coats and ties around for those few patrons that might not fit the dress code.

Maybe this place needs to keep a few assorted hats with brims for these occasions.

Do "classy" clubs usually need to specify:

"skullcaps, bandanas, brimless hats and stocking caps..."?

I'm just a country bumpkin, but I think I see what's going on there.

Anyhoo, glad she avoided any additional embarrassment.....by going wide with the story.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    FYI

Business Apologizes After Chemo Patient is Asked to Leave Due to Hat | 21Alive: News, Sports, Weather, Fort Wayne WPTA-TV, WISE-TV, and CW | Local

Letter sent to the person.

"Rachel, I wanted to reach out and sincerely apologize for the way you were treated the other night at our Indianapolis venue. It is unfortunate that our door greeters and managers decided to enforce our dress code under your current condition. They have been spoken to and they know now that in special circumstances like yours that the dress code can be interpreted as to allow special considerations. Please don't judge our entire company on the actions of a few. We all make poor judgment calls from time to time in our life and a poor judgment call was made with you Rachel. The President of our company and our graphic designer who works 3 doors down from me in Jacksonville have both beat cancer and I realize what they went through. Our company was very supportive and sensitive to their needs and those of their families. Our company has supported many many charitable organizations from cancer to autism to combat veterans. If there is anything I can do to make you feel better, don't hesitate to call me."

Top Bottom