• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Well, I she has came around. She is now into stocking up for SHTF. She would like to learn the how to's of canning. She learns better with hands on, so we are looking for a canning class. Anyone know where we may get some hands on experience?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Check with your local 4-H or the Purdue Extension office in Brown County. They've likely got a lot of literature and may even have some classes available. In the meantime trot on out to the bookstore or your local Meijer or Walmart and get her a copy of the Ball Blue Book. It's about the best source for canning info there is and is indispensable as a source of canning knowledge. You really won't need classes if you have this book on hand.
    Amazon.com: Jarden Home Brands 21400 Ball Blue Book: No Author Noted: Kitchen & Dining

Or check with Ball for info.

Canning | Canning Jars | Preserving | Ball Jars

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    I started with a simple magazine at the check out counter. Started with strawberry jam with store bought fruit. Took it to work for the guys to take home and try. I was told it was terrriable and that they should take all that I have so they could "destroy all traces". I only made a small batch the 1st time and it was time consuming but if you were doing more as you confidence grow it would be much more worth the time.
    Prep work is by far the most time in the process. just remember clean clean clean.

Kory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    The guides on pickyourown.org have been super good she post recipes from trusted sources and includes good pictorials as well as giving you info on on local pick your own farms. I am a huge believer in buying local so this has been a big help. DOWN WITH MONSANTO.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Check with your local 4-H or the Purdue Extension office in Brown County. They've likely got a lot of literature and may even have some classes available. In the meantime trot on out to the bookstore or your local Meijer or Walmart and get her a copy of the Ball Blue Book. It's about the best source for canning info there is and is indispensable as a source of canning knowledge. You really won't need classes if you have this book on hand.
    Amazon.com: Jarden Home Brands 21400 Ball Blue Book: No Author Noted: Kitchen & Dining

Or check with Ball for info.

Canning | Canning Jars | Preserving | Ball Jars

:+1:on the Ball Blue Book of Canning. We have used this book for years.
    I highly recommend the jalapeno jelly recipe. Put some on some cream cheese , give me some crackers and I'm happy.:):

Madine85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I started with a simple magazine at the check out counter. Started with strawberry jam with store bought fruit. Took it to work for the guys to take home and try. I was told it was terrriable and that they should take all that I have so they could "destroy all traces".

Blueeagle is always telling me how terrible my cooking is and how he'll eat entire pies or batches of dumplings so I don't have to suffer. ;) He's so thoughtful like that.

Back on topic. Any of the above books are good ones. I'd just suggest making something that can be boil water canned, like tomato sauce, for the first couple times just to get the hang of it. Then if she still likes it, you know spending the money on the pressure canner would be worth it.

If the local 4-H or extension office, maybe check the local community college. Many offer adult Continuing education classes on things cooking and canning. She might just have to pay a small fee and provide her own jars or something.

Top Bottom