• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    Well I am going to attempt to can some deer meat tomorrow morning. I had a friend do this a few years back and surprisingly it was good. Nice thing is you do not need to refrigerate or freeze it, just sit it on a shelf and it will last for years. The lady that told me how to do it said she opened a can from 3 yrs ago and it was just fine. Let me know if anyone is interested in how to do this and I will let everyone know how it turned out.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Heard about this lately too, and if I get another deer in the late season I intend to try it. So I'm very interested in how it turns out - and how to do it.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    Ya I have my wife's pressure cooker and I took my deer to the Knightstown Locker and had them cube up the meat into chunks. I was told to put 2 beef bouillon cubes with 1 tsp of salt in the mason jar and stuff the meat 1 inch from the top of the jar. Then put 1 tbsp of white vinegar in the pressure cooker (prevents cloudiness in the jars) with the water. Get the pressure up to 10 lbs and cook it at that for 90 min. Open up the pressure cooker once cooled and set the jars out to seal and your done. It looks gross inside the jar but it is very good eating. Wish me luck!! I'll post the results.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    This is a really good idea. I can all kinds of things. One thing that all canners should have is a ph meter. With a ph meter anything can be canned.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    What is a ph meter?

A ph meter is a way to can foods without a canning recipe. I have enclosed a couple of links that might be helpful.

Long version:
    http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/What_is_pH.pdf

Short version:
    How to Test PH in Food for Canning | eHow.com

This link is to the USDA complete guilde to home canning. A must have for the home canner.
    USDA’s Complete Guide to Home Canning is Available

Hope this helps with a ph meter and alittle know how you will never buy another can of campbells chicken noodle soup ever again.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    A ph meter is a way to can foods without a canning recipe. I have enclosed a couple of links that might be helpful.

Long version:
    http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/What_is_pH.pdf

Short version:
    How to Test PH in Food for Canning | eHow.com

This link is to the USDA complete guilde to home canning. A must have for the home canner.
    USDA’s Complete Guide to Home Canning is Available

Hope this helps with a ph meter and alittle know how you will never buy another can of campbells chicken noodle soup ever again.

Awesome, I will look into it. Thanks.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You have a pressure CANNER correct, not a cooker? Canner has a weighted or dial gauge.

Make sure you vent all air from the canner for 10 min, before putting on your gauge then put it on. Once it starts rattling then you start your timer.

Always bring canned food up to a boil for at least 5 minutes, as a practice I do this.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I have been canning venison for years. I always take any meat I can to 15# pressure, then cook for 45 minutes.

For venison: press cubed venison into jars, add salt (onion too if you like), add boiling water to jar rim. Don't forget to release any air bubbles in jar. Put on lid, and place in pressure canner. Just a word of caution; allow the canner to cool and don't take the jars out too soon. Sometimes the extreme change in heat will cause you to lose liquid from the jar. I let the canner sit for a while, off the heat but with the lid on, before I remove jars.

Your venison wil be very tender and quick and easy to use. You can add any seasoning you like before or after canning.

I have canned just about anything (from veggies, to fruits to pie fillings, and meats and even leftover soups) for the last 30 years. Oops! My age is showing.:D I will admit I just this year read about canning bacon, but have yet to try it.

If I can be of assistance to anyone on the subject of canning am glad to help.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    Well I did 7 quarts this morning. I had to go to work so they were cooling when I left. I am going to do more tomorrow morning. Let me know guys, I am thinking about doing a short video on it and posting it on my Youtube page. It was very easy.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Well I did 7 quarts this morning. I had to go to work so they were cooling when I left. I am going to do more tomorrow morning. Let me know guys, I am thinking about doing a short video on it and posting it on my Youtube page. It was very easy.

Go for it, I'll give you a +1 view count to it =D

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Quarts? WOW. You better be hungry when you pop that one. We can meat in pints around here, makes it easier to cook smaller batches when its just us.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I've been canning beef like this for years. I usually put a 1/2 teaspoon of salt in with the beef(venision)quart size jars. Do not add water to the meat and can it for 90 minutes at 10# of pressure. The most tender roast you've ever eaten. Amazingly I've never thought about doing venision this way. :facepalm: Maybe next year.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    Quarts? WOW. You better be hungry when you pop that one. We can meat in pints around here, makes it easier to cook smaller batches when its just us.

Hmmm....ya know I never thought of that, lol. I guess we can have eggs and venison, venison sandwich and then roast for supper. But I do have 5 kids, 4 could eat it but I don't think my 3 month old would enjoy it. But yes, next time I will try smaller jars. Good point Pistol Bob.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You will be fine with quarts, canned at 90 min, 75 min for pints. We used a quart last week for Venison Barley Soup. So good it did not last but 2 days. One meal, lunches and leftovers.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    I have been canning venison for years. I always take any meat I can to 15# pressure, then cook for 45 minutes.

For venison: press cubed venison into jars, add salt (onion too if you like), add boiling water to jar rim. Don't forget to release any air bubbles in jar. Put on lid, and place in pressure canner. Just a word of caution; allow the canner to cool and don't take the jars out too soon. Sometimes the extreme change in heat will cause you to lose liquid from the jar. I let the canner sit for a while, off the heat but with the lid on, before I remove jars.

Your venison wil be very tender and quick and easy to use. You can add any seasoning you like before or after canning.

I have canned just about anything (from veggies, to fruits to pie fillings, and meats and even leftover soups) for the last 30 years. Oops! My age is showing.:D I will admit I just this year read about canning bacon, but have yet to try it.

If I can be of assistance to anyone on the subject of canning am glad to help.

About how long would you think the venison would stay good for if stored in a cool dry place in the dark. My friend that told me about it said she opened up a jar that was done 3 yrs ago and it was fine. Just curious on your thoughts?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Hmmm....ya know I never thought of that, lol. I guess we can have eggs and venison, venison sandwich and then roast for supper. But I do have 5 kids, 4 could eat it but I don't think my 3 month old would enjoy it. But yes, next time I will try smaller jars. Good point Pistol Bob.

With that many mouths to feed, stick to quarts! <grin>

We have always done meat in pints, mainly because it was easier to portion up. We use wide mouth pints, and we even can meatloaf in those things. No kids at home nowadays so it's just me and the boss. However, I found it was easier to take pints camping and backpacking. You can get a BUNCH of pint jars in a 22 qt pressure canner...we can more chicken and pork loin than anything else...seems like it is the stuff that goes on sale. We add about a 1/4 teaspoon of salt...have never used bullion cubes but that sounds like a good idea at times...we don't add any water. Just lean meat.

I tried canning up a bunch of bluegills I had a couple of summers ago...don't. The flesh is too soft, the stuff turns to mush. Still tasted good but looked just awful.

Top Bottom