Normandy
    Get one of those.

18-194-IMG1_T.jpeg

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    They make water tight bags for gear in all sorts of sizes. They also make cases that float even when filled with stuff. I think Pelican makes some of them. I know Plainoe makes some. I have one that I keep my keys and wallet in when I am fishing so all that stuff will not get wet. It even has a lanyard to tie to my fishing vest so it don't get away.

When I am back packing I vacuum pack ammo to keep it dry. On the water I would think you would want it to float or in a water tight case. What ever you keep it in you should have your gear tied to the canoe.

Have you ever been on a canoe trip before? That is the first question I should have asked. I will assume not . Every thing that is put in the canoe needs to be in a water tight case or bag. Then all that stuff needs to be tied to the canoe. Now for some stuff such as meds, food, papers and ammo need to be packed in water proof bags such a vacuum bags or zip lock bags then put into the water proof case or bag.

If the canoe flips you will be happy to be able to get into dry stuff. Also if it is tied to the canoe than you don't have to go swim for it or stand the chance of losing it. If you think you will not flip one you haven't spent much time in a canoe. Some people will flip one just for fun.

Good luck on your trip I hope that I helped.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Honestly a dry bag is what I have stored my firearm in while around water. In a canoe I lash the bag around the Seat or deck; That way if the canoe does flips it won't float down the river.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Is this seriously a thing??? That's awesome.

You never saw that before? :dunno:

That's the reason why there is a hole on the grip of the Glock.
    It was requested by the Austrian military so that they dont lose their gun in the snow.
    Not sure if it's used a lot in the US but in Europe many police and military agencies use lanyards on all their duty handguns.

On that pic you can notice the police officer on the middle has two Glocks both attached with kevlar lanyards.

12.jpg

dcfa35d93.jpg

610xvc1.jpg

They're always ready for canoe trips. :):

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    OOOHHHHH! No, no, and no. I thought it was an ankle strap, like for a surfboard but for a pistol. I knew about the lanyard. hahaha

You never saw that before? :dunno:

That's the reason why there is a hole on the grip of the Glock.
    It was requested by the Austrian military so that they dont lose their gun in the snow.
    Not sure if it's used a lot in the US but in Europe many police and military agencies use lanyards on all their duty handguns.

On that pic you can notice the police officer on the middle has two Glocks both attached with kevlar lanyards.

12.jpg

dcfa35d93.jpg

610xvc1.jpg

They're always ready for canoe trips. :):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    OOOHHHHH! No, no, and no. I thought it was an ankle strap, like for a surfboard but for a pistol. I knew about the lanyard. hahaha
    I guess you could use it that way if you're carrying with an ankle holster.:lmfao:
    I have seen some INGOers who never heard of a lanyard for a pistol.I guess it's not widely used by police agencies in the US. :dunno:
    I have seen US Marines with their guns attached with lanyards so that they dont drop it in the water though, but never saw deputy sheriffs or regular cops with them.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I guess you could use it that way if you're carrying with an ankle holster.:lmfao:
    I have seen some INGOers who never heard of a lanyard for a pistol.I guess it's not widely used by police agencies in the US. :dunno:
    I have seen US Marines with their guns attached with lanyards so that they dont drop it in the water though, but never saw deputy sheriffs or regular cops with them.

I vaguely remember seeing a officer working at Lucas Oil Stadium who had a lanyard hooked up to his duty gun but that's the only time I've ever seen one in use in person. I can see the benefit if you're holster doesn't have much retention but otherwise I just think it's something that would catch on gear, get tangled up, or even prevent the adequate use of a sidearm if it were to get caught on something. :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I vaguely remember seeing a officer working at Lucas Oil Stadium who had a lanyard hooked up to his duty gun but that's the only time I've ever seen one in use in person. I can see the benefit if you're holster doesn't have much retention but otherwise I just think it's something that would catch on gear, get tangled up, or even prevent the adequate use of a sidearm if it were to get caught on something. :twocents:

It's all about training.You get used to it.
    It gives you retention when you're actually holding your gun while doing other stuff and drop it by accident.Like if you're on a roof, jumping a fence, climbing a facade or something (it's more useful for SWAT type of stuff I guess).

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I use the rolled up dry bags for clothes and a Pelican case for my phone, GPS or other electronics. Ammo can probably survive a short dip in water but a dry bag (secured to the canoe) would save you from having to clean and dry out your firearm and mags.

Top Bottom