• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    As I am gearing up for deer camp my tent will no longer due. I am tired of getting dressed bend over. I have one of those ez-up canopy and I am thinking about using some tarps for the sides. I have looked online and didn't really see anything that I wanted to pay for. (yes I am a tight ass) however i do have some tarps laying around that would make good sides....maybe so ingo let me know what you think.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    that would probably work. I've seen tarps real cheap at places like Menards, you could zip tie them to the poles of the canopy for a make shift tent.

Give you lots of room to stand, lol. You could probably hang towels and clothes on the top crossbars too!

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    When we use to set up Deer Camps, we had a tarp something like that we used as a cook tent, a place to eat or just to get out of the wind/rain. We just used the cheap blue tarps from Walmart. I believe the one we had was 12x12, we used spring clamps to hold the cheap tarps to the top.

We still slept in our tents, but got up in our long johns, made coffee and go dressed under the cook tarp while waiting for the coffee to get done.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    sounds like a good plan. You could definately make it water and wind tied with the above suggested clamps and zip ties. I seen tarp claps of such to tie them to stakes if it gets super windy. good luck with that and your hunting season.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    ez-up style tents are pretty handy when your camping style allows for it. we used one last weekend as our 'dining fly' and slapped some tarps around its perimeter when the rain came. worked fine. just make sure your tarps are plenty big to cover from canopy to the ground and do make sure to test it out ahead of time so you know how to attach the tarps, stake it out, etc...

if you are ditching your regular tent altogether and are considering 'living' in your ez-up, i'd pay particular attention to where you place the thing so you don't get flooded out seeing as it doesn't have the bathtub style floor your current tent probably has. sleep on a cot, maybe? keep your stuff up off the ground, too.

have fun and be safe.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    We always used an easy up and used the biggest tarp we could get. We would actually put tarp over the easy up and use it to enclose three sides. Usually put the open side facing east. Stretch the sides out as far as you can, then the shorter covered area outside easy up is good for gear storage.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I think in a 60mph wind you will have no base camp left.

Just hit Campmor and buy whatever 4-6 man tent they have on sale. You can make a $100, 3 season tent work to zero degrees by tossing a tarp over the top and a small heater buddy inside. I have left tents like this up for months at a time. FYI padded blue furniture pads make great floor mats in a winter base camp.

If I was using tarps, just use ropes and trees and make something more study than an easy up.

PS for the sake of disclosure I should states that a 60mph wind destroyed our easy up last week. It looked like Sputnik had crashed on our patio.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom