• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I was running a little early while driving South the other day, so I decided to swing into Walmart in Paoli to kill some time. I went back to the sporting goods section just to browse around, and when I saw how their guns and ammo section was laid out, I was truly impressed.

In all Walmarts I have visited, the ammo sits on two shelves right off the floor behind a sales counter. You have to bend over and squint to see what calibers they have and what the price is. Not in Paoli. The ammo was on shelving by itself right out with the rest of the merchandise in sporting goods. They kept it locked up of course, but you could clearly see what calibers they had and what the pricing was. In fact, they possibly had more variety in that store than any other I've seen. I bet they had two four foot sections of shelves that were six feet tall, and they were almost fully stocked to boot. Good job to a tiny little Walmart in Southern Indiana.

Even with their impressive layout, you will still know you're in a Walmart because during the time I was in that department, I don't know if I could have gotten anybody back there with a bull-horn and flare-gun if I wanted to make a purchase.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I agree, they do have a nice set up there. Plus (when I've been there, anyway) there's usually somebody in the department to wait on you.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I've been to a few Walmart's for ammo lately, all located in Central Indiana and it's been pretty hit or miss. It seems that the ones I go to outside of Indianapolis generally have a better selection, where as I've been to one in Indy that didn't sell any ammo other that some Super X .22 (56th st) but another one just a few miles north (86th st) had a full cabinet (No one around to open it). I still frequent one in Brownsburg where there always seems to be someone around to open the cabinet and have recently started to go to one in Noblesville.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    That is the same layout they have at the ones in Westfield, Noblesville, and Fishers as well. No problems buying ammo at any of the three.

Mark

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I buy a lot of ammo there. There is about a 50% chance of finding the place manned by an employee. If Ruby is on duty, she is usually hovering somewhere nearby. If she is off the clock, good luck on anyone else making an appearance short of you aetting off a bomb.

I usually start messing with the cash register or playing with the telephone. Even then, there is no guarantee of assistance.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I always go to Wallmart in Ft Wayne to buy practice ammo. The ammo case is where u can walk up and see it (locked of course) and I get a box of 100 rounds, Federal 9mm 115gr FMJ for $20. Cannot beat that!

jkirby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Kokomo/Bunker hill
    The new Walmart in logansport is set up like that. its part of the normal isle (locked up) and its all real easy to see and the selection is amazing. I really like this new set up and hope they all eventually go this way

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Plainfield, Brownsburg, and Avon all have the full displays as well.

Greencastle does not. And they never have the Federal 100rnd 9mm boxes either.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The stores at 96th & I 69 and the Pendleton Pike store have ammo but no guns yet, sometimes hard to get help. When I was living in Round Rock TX there were 2 Walmarts close with good ammo supplies but no guns. The Round Rock store SG clerk would call me or my partner when 45s came in and hold 500 each for us. Nice guy especially when supplies were short.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I bought 2-100 count boxes of Winchester .45 ACP hard ball at the Evansville east Walmart yesterday. It was in the hard-to-see case but I was waited on within 30 seconds. The shelves were pretty bare. I paid a little less than $36/100 for them, plus tax.

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    The Clarksville WalMart is set up that way now and the last time I was there they had a pretty good selection. Loaded up on .22LR and .22WMR. Still didn't have any WWB in .357 though.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I bought 2-100 count boxes of Winchester .45 ACP hard ball at the Evansville east Walmart yesterday. It was in the hard-to-see case but I was waited on within 30 seconds. The shelves were pretty bare. I paid a little less than $36/100 for them, plus tax.

You're a brave man, sir! Because of both my past and current job, I spend a lot of time dealing with Walmarts in South Central/Southern Indiana, and I will say that is the busiest Walmart I have ever seen. The last time I was in the River City, they were in the process of building the one in Newburgh just four miles down the road to take a little pressure off that one.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    I went to the WM in Seymour yesterday they had a good selection of ammo and guns but waited 10 minutes for anybody to show up. One lady finally came over but she didn't work in that dept waited 5 more minutes then left and went to Acme they had the same prices on ammo and better service.

Top Bottom