• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    This evening I needed to stop and pick up some milk, so I stopped at a local gas station. Before entering I stepped out of my car and put on my jacket to cover my howitzer. Upon entering the store an employee stopped me at the door and said I could not come in because I was carrying a gun.
    I was seen putting my jacket on outside the store. I asked if that is the policy here.? He said he has been robbed and he does not allow handguns in the store. I asked, "Do you have a sign posted somewhere to let people know this?" "No I don't need to post a sign' LEAVE HERE NOW!!"
    Ok, now what's the deal? Or I mean the law? I use this station all the time. "I asked when was the last time you were robbed?" "He said, well not here. Where I used to work." "Now he said' he will ask his boss about posting a sign, but said if I was an off duty police officer or a retired officer it's ok!" "So I said, no problem, I just retired last year from our local department." "Well then your OK." He rang up my milk and off I went. He did not ask to see prof of retirement or anything of the likes. What's up guys and dolls??

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I recommend a conversation with his supervisor. Not only is this an irritation to you, but given the absence of any posting, I would guess that the owner does not have a problem with it, and this has potential to cost him business. Besides, did the little dumb*ss stop to think that if you were of criminal inclination, you would have used it on him by then?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You Can't come in, You have a Howitzer on you.
    Boy if I only had a nickle for every time a woman said that to me.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    No, I did not retire from any local PD. I just said it too see what his next question would be.?? May I see your retirement PD photo or ID?? He seems like he would have a very hard time spelling his own name. I for the life of me do not understand people like this. If it was "MY" business I would welcome ALL persons that have a license to carry. My mistake was putting on my jacket allowing my firearm to be seen. My BAD!!! Oh well.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sofor legal clarification, is it legal to impersonate a retired police officer?

I don't think his comment that he's a retired LEO fits the criteria spelled out in the IC:

IC 35-44-2-3
    Impersonation of a public servant

Sec. 3. A person who falsely represents that the person is a public servant, with intent to mislead and induce another person to submit to false official authority or otherwise to act to the other person's detriment in reliance on the false representation, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor. However, a person who falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer; or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.57; P.L.6-1987, SEC.21; P.L.214-1997, SEC.1.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    Ty... i wouldnt push the issue though. :twocents:

I don't think his comment that he's a retired LEO fits the criteria spelled out in the IC:

IC 35-44-2-3
    Impersonation of a public servant

Sec. 3. A person who falsely represents that the person is a public servant, with intent to mislead and induce another person to submit to false official authority or otherwise to act to the other person's detriment in reliance on the false representation, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor. However, a person who falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer; or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.57; P.L.6-1987, SEC.21; P.L.214-1997, SEC.1.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Perhaps a better way to have put it would have been: "And what if I'm a retired law officer, do you have a problem with that?" And say it in an authoritative slightly PO'd voice. That way you are not identifying yourself as such but merely asking a question.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My mistake was putting on my jacket allowing my firearm to be seen. My BAD!!! Oh well.
    Not so fast!

I must respectfully disagree with you on that one. The problem was the :sheep:working there, not with you!

Last time I checked it was perfectly legal to open carry.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Maybe you guys could comprimise and build one of those lexan shields around the pay area like I see in the really safe areas of town. Then you could slide your money into a metal drawer, he could get it safely and return change to you.

Next time I'd leave the gun in the car but put on the ski mask. You can't have those security cameras stealing your soul all the time

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This evening I needed to stop and pick up some milk, so I stopped at a local gas station. Before entering I stepped out of my car and put on my jacket to cover my howitzer. Upon entering the store an employee stopped me at the door and said I could not come in because I was carrying a gun.
    I was seen putting my jacket on outside the store. I asked if that is the policy here.? He said he has been robbed and he does not allow handguns in the store. I asked, "Do you have a sign posted somewhere to let people know this?" "No I don't need to post a sign' LEAVE HERE NOW!!"
    Ok, now what's the deal? Or I mean the law? I use this station all the time. "I asked when was the last time you were robbed?" "He said, well not here. Where I used to work." "Now he said' he will ask his boss about posting a sign, but said if I was an off duty police officer or a retired officer it's ok!" "So I said, no problem, I just retired last year from our local department." "Well then your OK." He rang up my milk and off I went. He did not ask to see prof of retirement or anything of the likes. What's up guys and dolls??
    Did he think if you were actually there to rob the store and he stopped you and said "You can't come in because you're wearing a gun" that you would just say ok and turn around and leave?

I don't think it's that easy to stop a legit armed robbery. :dunno:

Top Bottom