• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've got me eyes on 2 different guns and can't decide which one to buy. The purpose of the gun will be for fun at the range.

1. Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44mag 2.5in barrel
    Pros: I already own a 44mag rifle so I already have 44mag ammo. Could use as a woods gun while im out hunting.
    Cons: Hand Cannon that probably wont get shot as much as my other guns due to the amount of recoil.

2. Springfield Range Officer 9mm
    Pros: Its a 1911 :rockwoot:. I already have 1911 holsters so I could put it in my daily carry rotation if I wanted to. Could shoot Friday Night Steel with it.
    Cons: I don't own any 9mm guns so it would be one more caliber I would have to buy/reload. Buying a 9mm 1911 is blasphemy.lol

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If you're looking for something to take to the range to shoot, the RO in 9mm would make more sense I would think. All of my handguns at this point are 9mm and I think they're a lot of fun to shoot. Shot a few 1911's last week in .45 and will probably pick one up soon, but my 9mm handguns will definitely get shot more often.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I would opt for a little longer barrel in a 44 mag. Not much you can do at the range with a small barrel. If you had something with a 5" to 6 1/2" barrel, it would be more versatile. Or even a 7 1/2" Redhawk. Hunting, target shooting, plinking, etc. If you reload, the 44 becomes a very versatile caliber. I have loads from 165gr cast RNFP to 300gr SWC. At the range you can shoot plinking loads and then break out the big stuff.

Right now I have a 5" S&W 629 and a 7 1/2" Redhawk in 44 mag. I have shot bowling pins and 200 meters steel silhouettes with them. Carry the 5" in my woods. I even shot the Redhawk at Camp Perry the 1st year they had the Harry Reeve's revolver match. It was the only revolver I had that fit the criteria at time. A 44 revolver would make a good companion to your rifle.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    " The purpose of the gun will be for fun at the range." In my experience, snubby .44 magnums cease to be "fun at the range" fairly quickly......

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The 625 is another good way to go. I have two 5" 625s. One set up with fiber optic front sight for steel plate matches. The other has a red dot and set up for bullseye. That is my CF and 45 gun for BE. I have shot it for the past 3 years at Camp Perry. They are fun guns. The moonclips are great and very fast to reload. I can reload my 625 as fast as I can reload my 1911s. Also, moonclips make it easy to pick up your brass at the range or at a match. Last time I bought some at Ranch Products, they were $35 for 100 clips. I believe that includes shipping, too. Load them up before shooting and no reloading mags or speedloaders. They are pretty handy.

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If you are looking for a range gun have you considered either a Glock 34 or a Walther PPQ long slide? Both are 9mm. Both shoot really well and both are designed for target shooting.

The Glock has a lightened slide for ballance, 5.3 inch barrel, ext mag & slide release and 4.5 trigger that is much smoother than a regular Glock trigger and a adjustable rear sight. Often used in sport shooting, USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, GSSF. Not that costly, a gen 3 is $569 and gen 4 I have seen for around $629. It also uses a standard Glock 17 mag, which are fairly inexpensive as well.

The PPQ M2 long slide has the Glock beat (and every other polymer gun) beat in the trigger dept. A fantastic trigger, they call it a pre-cocked trigger. It also has a lightened slide, 5 inch barrel, American style button mag release and adjustable rear sight. I own the Glock 34 and have shot the PPQ long slide, both are great guns but the PPQ is amazing to shoot and I would choose it over the Glock. I also own a PPQ M1 and the triggers on both guns are the same quality.

I am sure you would enjoy either at the range. But the PPQ M2 long slide is hard to find. If I were looking for strictly a range gun it would be either of these two.

Oh yeah you mentioned recoil. If you are shooing commercial ammo put 124 grain bullets in these and the felt recoil is negligible. You said you would reload I am sure you could find a load that would be soft shooting.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Advice from a guy who has owned or shot a lot of pistols over the years. 9mm 1911 is super fun for the range. It is a crowd favorite when I pull it out of the safe and let others shoot it.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Having to stock/reload another caliber is a valid point. That is what is keeping me from buying a 45 1911. The 1911 pistol is fun to shoot and looks really cool.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Having to stock/reload another caliber is a valid point. That is what is keeping me from buying a 45 1911. The 1911 pistol is fun to shoot and looks really cool.

That should not stop you from a 1911 in 45. Like a good friend is wont to say; "If you are an American and p standing up, you should own at least one 1911. And that should be a 45." I tend to agree with that statement.

If I let caliber stop me from buying a gun, I would have far fewer and would be unable to shoot many of the types of matches I enjoy now. There are just certain guns that should be in a certain caliber.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    That should not stop you from a 1911 in 45. Like a good friend is wont to say; "If you are an American and p standing up, you should own at least one 1911. And that should be a 45." I tend to agree with that statement.

If I let caliber stop me from buying a gun, I would have far fewer and would be unable to shoot many of the types of matches I enjoy now. There are just certain guns that should be in a certain caliber.

I disagree. I am down to three 1911's. I consolidated calibers to two, .45 acp and 9mm. All the BS artificial shortages are a real concern. Shooting is not a job, its a hobby. Fighting and struggling to find ammo is BS. In 2013 I shot zero .45 acp. Caliber is a very valid concern. It is not the 1920's anymore. I rely on my 9mm's and not my 1911's even though I grew up with 1911's. Availability of ammo plays a big part of that. My carry gun now is 9mm, my go to gun now is a 9mm, my range guns are 9mm's because that is what first I can afford to shoot and second the only caliber I can usually find ammo for.

I remain a fan of the 1911, always will be. But things change, you either change with them or go the way of the Model T. Who knows maybe some time in the very far future the ammo shortages will go away then more might come back to the 1911.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I disagree. I am down to three 1911's. I consolidated calibers to two, .45 acp and 9mm. All the BS artificial shortages are a real concern. Shooting is not a job, its a hobby. Fighting and struggling to find ammo is BS. In 2013 I shot zero .45 acp. Caliber is a very valid concern. It is not the 1920's anymore. I rely on my 9mm's and not my 1911's even though I grew up with 1911's. Availability of ammo plays a big part of that. My carry gun now is 9mm, my go to gun now is a 9mm, my range guns are 9mm's because that is what first I can afford to shoot and second the only caliber I can usually find ammo for.

I remain a fan of the 1911, always will be. But things change, you either change with them or go the way of the Model T. Who knows maybe some time in the very far future the ammo shortages will go away then more might come back to the 1911.

The shortage may slow down people's shooting, but not if you reload your ammo. I realize shooting is not a job. If it was, I would not be doing it on the weekends. :): The only ammo I buy is 22 LR and 17 HMR. I reload for 24 cartridges, plus shotgun. I have loaded and shot 10,000 rounds each year for the past two years . While not a hoarder by any stretch, I always have components on hand. I have been shooting long range pistol silhouette since the mid 1980s. I could not have been close to competitive with either 9mm or 45. My T/Cs and XP-100 pistols fire bottleneck cartridges that do not even have factory loads available. It would also be tough to shoot cowboy action, bullseye, and many other disciplines I enjoy, by relying on factory ammo.

I shoot for fun with my friends, but whether it is a local match or Camp Perry, we are pretty competitive with each other. I guess if you don't do that, consolidating ammo might be useful. There is nothing wrong with that. I did not mean to imply that there was. I am just saying there is a lot more out there than plinking at the range. Shooting several calibers opens the door to a lot more shooting fun and that's what I like.

mattinindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    cant imagine a .44 would be a fun range gun. it has its value with many functions but not a fun to shoot range gun.

Top Bottom