• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    Like the title says. I can't decide between the P30 or the USP. I've owned a usp in the past and it was a superb gun. I really like the way the p30 feels. I've got large hands so the grip on the usp is not an issue with me. The easy answer is "buy both" unfortunately I can't do that. Every time I decide on one I look at the other and change my mind. It's driving me crazy.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Like the title says. I can't decide between the P30 or the USP. I've owned a usp in the past and it was a superb gun. I really like the way the p30 feels. I've got large hands so the grip on the usp is not an issue with me. The easy answer is "buy both" unfortunately I can't do that. Every time I decide on one I look at the other and change my mind. It's driving me crazy.

I have a couple of USP 40 S&W, one is a compact, what is the difference between the P30 & the USP:dunno:

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    The P30 is not as blocky as the USP. I like the way they both look. Does the P30 utilize the double recoil spring system like the USP? Or are they set up like the uspc's with the plastic bushing?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The P30 is not as blocky as the USP. I like the way they both look. Does the P30 utilize the double recoil spring system like the USP? Or are they set up like the uspc's with the plastic bushing?

I have some H&K, but I think the H&K P9S are the most accurate H&K, The USP shoot good, but I can't shoot the H&K P7M13 accurately:dunno:, but hardly ever shoot them

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

If I ever get a P30, I want the 9 MM with the long slide:yesway:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    SInce you already owned a USP you know what it's like. I'd try out a P30. If you don't like it you can always sell it. If you buy it at a good price you won't even lose much money.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I really like the HK USP pistols, both full-size and compact. With this series, I highly recommend the compact. The compact pistol has a shorter barrel given its overall size, but that really isn't that big of an issue. For me, the full-size USP is just too big. I thought I would like the full-size USP, but ended up not liking it because it is more of an open carry/duty type weapon. The USP compact is far better due to it being easier to double as a CCW firearm.

I've never shot or held a P30. They look nice. I'm not sure about the rear slide de-cocker button/slide lever. I also would rather have the P30S. This is the model that has a safety lever on the side. I mostly would get this for something to possible help with re-selling if the need came.

Out of both, I would lean towards the P30S. Even though I have never shot one, I know it is an HK, and therefore more than likely a quality pistol. I give the edge to the P30S because:

#1: This has a safety lever, which could help with re-selling if needed. There is a contingent of gun owners who don't like guns without external safety buttons/levers. Having the safety lever opens up the possibility of selling to this group of gun owners.

#2: The Picatinny rail. I hate the fact that on the USP, HK didn't include a Picatinny rail. Obviously this was so they could sell their own handgun mounted lights, but this is one thing that drives me nuts about HK. Yea, they molded the USP with a light rail alright, too bad it sucks. Yes, there is a fix with light rail attachments, but if you have ever seen them, they add a lot of that part of the gun. I think a Picatinny rail should be standard on any firearm that might be used as a primary night time, home protection device. In addition, I always suggest investing in a quality handgun light.

I would go with the P30S if you can find one.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I am meeting with another INGOer next Saturday so he can try out my P30, either at Bullseye in Kokomo or Applied Ballistics in Lafayette. Anybody that wants to meet us is welcome.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I wasn't a big fan of the rear mounted decocker until recently. I had an opportunity to handle one and play with it for a few minutes and realized that it made alot of sense. If you're carrying cocked and locked in a high stress situation you could inadvertantly flip the safety off and decock in one stroke. It's just as easy to place one shot "minute of dirtbag" double action, plus I have the added benefit of not remembering to flick off the safety. Different strokes for different folks I guess. That's why they offer it in different variants.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Why not shoot a P30, before buying one, then you can make up your mind:yesway:

I agree that you can shoot a gun and sometimes make up your mind right away but other times you may need some time with the gun. About 7 years ago I shot an AK and didn't like it...I didn't spend enough time with the rifle and I was wrong.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Out of both, I would lean towards the P30S. Even though I have never shot one, I know it is an HK, and therefore more than likely a quality pistol. I give the edge to the P30S because:

#1: This has a safety lever, which could help with re-selling if needed. There is a contingent of gun owners who don't like guns without external safety buttons/levers. Having the safety lever opens up the possibility of selling to this group of gun owners.

#2: The Picatinny rail. I hate the fact that on the USP, HK didn't include a Picatinny rail. Obviously this was so they could sell their own handgun mounted lights, but this is one thing that drives me nuts about HK. Yea, they molded the USP with a light rail alright, too bad it sucks. Yes, there is a fix with light rail attachments, but if you have ever seen them, they add a lot of that part of the gun. I think a Picatinny rail should be standard on any firearm that might be used as a primary night time, home protection device. In addition, I always suggest investing in a quality handgun light.

I would go with the P30S if you can find one.

:dunno:

#1 My USP has a safety lever (Variant 1)
    #2 GG&G makes an adapter for about $20 that gives you a Pic rail on the USP.

@OP - Either would be a good choice. [STRIKE]I believe the USP is still made in Germany and the P30 is made in the states. Not sure if that matters, but that's another difference.[/STRIKE] Just kidding, apparently its only the HK 45

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    :dunno:

#1 My USP has a safety lever (Variant 1)
    #2 GG&G makes an adapter for about $20 that gives you a Pic rail on the USP.

#1: The P30 doesn't have a safety lever. I really flip-flopped my reasons. I should have said go with the P30S first because of the Pic rail. Then I should have said to get the "S" model for the safety lever...so long as it doesn't costs an arm and a leg more.

#2: I'm not sure of the brand, but I have one of the smallest adapters you can get (at least that I could find on-line). I'm actually surprised at how much it actually adds the frame.

This is one area that bothers me about the HK USP pistols. They should have incorporated a Pic rail on the USP models, but they didn't. My understanding is that they wanted folks to have to buy the HK tac light. Obviously, someone was smart enough to come out with an adapter, but I think it just adds that much more to an already large gun. I haven't seen any adapter that wouldn't cause an issue with the molded holsters. For generic holsters, one might have to go up a size bigger, at least with the adapter I have. Another thing, they should have made it so full-size USP mags could work in the USP Compact of the same caliber. I see they did make it so USP Compact mags will work in the P2000 SK.

Thankfully it appears that these exclusive HK only features are going away. Both the P30 and the P2000 SK have Pic rails. The P2000 SK also takes the compact USP mags.

I am now going to have to check out the P30. Appears to be a little bit bigger than a compact USP, but decently smaller than the full-size USP.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    The P30 is made in germany. The only US made HK's are the HK45 , HK45c & MR556.

When did pic rails become fairly standared? The USP goes back a ways and maybe it's design is simply before the rails were standared. I dont think HK did it to make you buy a light that they did not even produce.

Although i have both, the P30 would be my first choice.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom