Can't run NICS with paper Driver's License?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Friend of mine, he's Indiana driver's license expired a week ago and he went to BMV got it renewed and was issued a paper one while waiting for the plastic to arrive.

No address and name change just the expiration date.

He showed up with the old and paper licenses to get his gun, was turned away by the FFL, was told come back after he receives the new license. Is it some laws/regulations disqualifies the paper/temp license for gun purchases?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Sounds like someone is being disenfranchised while trying to exert a constitutional right to me? If you don't have to have ID to vote, then...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Friend of mine, he's Indiana driver's license expired a week ago and he went to BMV got it renewed and was issued a paper one while waiting for the plastic to arrive.

No address and name change just the expiration date.

He showed up with the old and paper licenses to get his gun, was turned away by the FFL, was told come back after he receives the new license. Is it some laws/regulations disqualifies the paper/temp license for gun purchases?

I'm guessing the problem was that in his case, the old license was not valid (it was expired), and because the temp license did not have the full license number on it, it could not be used on its own for ID purposes.

Yeah. Must be a government photo ID. Passport would work.

Passport would only work if he had something else state or federally issued with his current address on it, as well (the passport does not).

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yes. But that's pretty easy to do with a utility bill, etc. The hurdle is a government foto ID.

I will run a NICS check with a completed 4473. You must have the foto ID to take the firearm home.

Carey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Mentone
    I did the online renewal a month ago. And the page I was told to save to prove I did it had no information on it at all. I also had to wait for the plastic to show up.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I recently went in and got a chauffeurs license. They gave me a paper license (took my old plastic one) and said "it's as good as your other, the other will be in the mail soon." They also wrote my license number on there. I'm pretty sure I purchased a gun with it, but I could be mistaken... It had nothing to do with the "old" being expired, just that I technically had a new license. Nothing could be done if this was the case, I had no choice in the matter. Should I have not ben able to buy a gun?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    From the ATF Website:

What form of identification must a licensee obtain from a transferee of a firearm?

The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license.

A combination of government issued documents may be used to meet the requirements of an identification document. For example, a passport which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of the holder may be combined with a voter or vehicle registration card containing the residence address of the transferee in order to comply with the identification document requirements. A passport issued by a foreign government is also acceptable so long as it has all of the required information.

Whether a hunting license or permit issued by a retailer meets the definition of an identification document is State law specific. This license or permit meets the definition of an identification document if the State in which the retailer is located has authorized the retailer to supply State issued documents. If the State recognizes the hunting license or permit as government issued, then this license or permit would qualify as being government issued for the purposes of supplementing another government issued identification document.

A description of the location of the residence on an identification document, such as a rural route, is sufficient to constitute a residence address provided the purchaser resides in a State or locality where it is considered to be a legal residence address.

Those are the rules.

Last edited:

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    A few years ago I bought my first pistol with a paper license. I told them up front that I had a temporary license as I had recently moved to indiana. The only thing they asked was if all the information was correct. Btw, the paper license did have a photo and a complete DL #.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have been told a state id is not accepted by some FFLs in Indiana. Must be a drivers license.

How does that work for someone who may not be able to, or choses not to drive?

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    The paper ID is a valid form of ID in Indiana. Along with driving its acceptable for use as ID for new jobs, voting, and excise police also allow businesses to accept for people purchasing Cigarettes and Alcohol. Although I thought that when they first came out you were supposed to get the old license back plus the paper one and you had to carry both of them for it to be a valid ID.

As for purchasing a gun, I'd imagine its more along of what the FFL is comfortable with rather than anything expressly prohibiting it. It wouldn't be exactly hard for someone to make up a paper one. I could understand some of them saying no just for that alone.

Top Bottom