Can't run NICS with paper Driver's License?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    What part of this is not understandable?

From the ATF website:

The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee,, as well as ...

I put the info above. I pulled it from the ATF site.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You assume the Gun Store Employees would know the rules, but not always the case. Last time I got a gun the clerk told me that if I checked multiple Race on the paperwork I would a delayed. :):

RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    Utah Firearm Permit would work - govt issued photo ID - as long as the name and address are current.
    (Fun to use this at the airport when they ask for a government ID...)

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I would guess it would be pretty easy to fake one of the temporary paper ids? Much easier than faking a real id. I guess that wouldn't help with passing an NICS check though?

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    How do the Amish buy new Guns? No Photo's (Graven Image). I know the DMV will issue driver license and ID Cards to them with no Photo for Religous reasons. So FFL Guys, how does that work?

MSS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2014
    Westfield
    LGS owner here - I'll weigh in:

We routinely take temporary paper ID's as acceptable forms of identification for 4473 purposes, SO LONG as the buyer has their original plastic ID with them. This is usually not a problem, as the BMV will give you back your plastic ID, as well as your paper temp ID. The two can be used together to complete a background check. The reason a temp paper ID cannot be used alone, is because your DLN on the paper form is incomplete (the first several digits are X'd out). So we use your old ID to get the DLN. We must write your license number, in its entirety, on the 4473.

Commercial drivers are usually out of luck, because the DMV will not give a commercial drivers license back to the driver... The driver will only get the paper document, therefore they will need to wait for their license to come in the mail. But as for everyone else - no problem.

Keep in mind, any gun store is within their rights to demand any combination or forms of documentation, which they are comfortable accepting. I know it can be aggravating at times, but us gun store owners have alot on the line if we make a mistake.

Hope that helps!

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    This came up in a conversation with my ffl recently,he said he would not take it. He just felt that it was safer not to accept them, i just take it as the old " we have have the right to refuse service" and understand why he would say no just to be safe.
    Very similar to how many ffl's wont accept a transfer from a private individual. It's legal, they just dont want to.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I filled out my address on a 4473 one time and forgot that I had not updated the address on my license so the guy at the gun counter at MC Sports denied me, rightfully so. I came in the next day with my paper copy from the BMV and was good to go.

Top Bottom