• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What kind of accuracy does one hold themselves to as "good" with the Glock 19?

For slow fire where accuracy is the objective and time is not a concern, I would say at 7 yds everything in the head "A" zone. 25 yds in torso "A" but certainly could say everything in "C" would be effective. 50 yds everything on paper for sure, and if you can get in "C" that is fantastic.

As part of a course I took this spring we shot what was close to an FBI qualification, and that was also a good test of practical accuracy in a timed setting. It ranged from contact distance to over 25 yds and I think the hit zone was roughly the torso "C".

Would welcome someone like Rhino or Coach or others to weigh on on that. I may be unrealistic in my longer range expectations.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What kind of accuracy does one hold themselves to as "good" with the Glock 19?

factory crap sights, or something better?

I'd say "Good" would be 5-8" @ 25yd, 1.5-2" at 7 yd.
    I'd say "Great" would be 3-5" @ 25yd, 1-1.5" at 7 yd.

add 25% to those group sizes w/ factory sights.

I've been chasing a <2" 25yd goal w/ my 34/35. Can't seem to do better than 2.25-3". Vary the pressure on the trigger or grip just slightly and it opens up... very unforgiving.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    factory crap sights, or something better?

I'd say "Good" would be 5-8" @ 25yd, 1.5-2" at 7 yd.
    I'd say "Great" would be 3-5" @ 25yd, 1-1.5" at 7 yd.

add 25% to those group sizes w/ factory sights.

I've been chasing a <2" 25yd goal w/ my 34/35. Can't seem to do better than 2.25-3". Vary the pressure on the trigger or grip just slightly and it opens up... very unforgiving.

-rvb

My marksmanship with Glocks vs. what I can with 1911s is embarrassing. I'd have to be able to shoot a group at 25 yards to measure a group at 25 yards. Looks more like a hit from 000 buckshot!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why not just carry 1911's then?

For me, I'm attempting to learn to be effective with your platform. So I can use your ammo, your mags and your gun, if I need to.

I'm finding that the 1911 trigger was pretty forgiving and the Glock, not so much. I'll learn it though.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    For slow fire where accuracy is the objective and time is not a concern, I would say at 7 yds everything in the head "A" zone. 25 yds in torso "A" but certainly could say everything in "C" would be effective. 50 yds everything on paper for sure, and if you can get in "C" that is fantastic.

As part of a course I took this spring we shot what was close to an FBI qualification, and that was also a good test of practical accuracy in a timed setting. It ranged from contact distance to over 25 yds and I think the hit zone was roughly the torso "C".

Would welcome someone like Rhino or Coach or others to weigh on on that. I may be unrealistic in my longer range expectations.

Coach runs everyone that teaches any class above the basic pistol course at Parabellum through the FBI course and 90% or better is required to teach the upper level courses. Pistol accuracy is not an issue on that course IMHO, just a matter of practice. I wouldn't be concerned about passing it with a Glock 26 although I went through it with a 19.. I've said it before but I'm convinced that the limiting factor it always the operator. Anything mechanical can go haywire but I've never had a pistol that limited my accuracy potential. A terrible trigger can have an adverse effect on the shooter but I doubt that ANY modern platform in inherently inaccurate.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For me, I'm attempting to learn to be effective with your platform. So I can use your ammo, your mags and your gun, if I need to.

I'm finding that the 1911 trigger was pretty forgiving and the Glock, not so much. I'll learn it though.

So what you're saying is that I should buy a 1911 so I can be effective with your platform as well. :)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This was my last 25yd group from a couple weeks ago, 2-3/4". I see a lot of groups like this where I have 3 or 4 grouped together, then 1 or 2 off somewhere else. Either mid group I slightly changed my trigger pull, or the gun shifted in my grip from recoil, something. If I could be consistent, I'm sure I could get it to <2". But like I said, glocks are just unforgiving to the slightest error or inconsistency. It took a lot of work to get to this point... When I first switched to glock, I thought sure something was wrong with the gun, it was brutal!

this was my G35, taran connector kit and sights. Standing, unsupported.

-rvb

H15mAf.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I never flinch while dry firing at home, but find myself doing it sometimes with live ammo. Randomly load a snap cap in several mags and you'll find out quick enough if you're flinching or pulling left or right on the trigger.

Good suggestion. The other one would be to balance a spent case on the front sight. Get to where you can squeeze the trigger without it falling off. ** Note this does mean you need a flat front sight like the factory front.

Last year, I was helping a new shooter out and she was having a terrible time hitting paper at 7 yards with a Glock 19. No matter how I tried to explain the flinch to her, she was not getting it. Then I pulled out the iPhone and did a slow motion video of her shooting and you could clearly see how just before she pulled the trigger, her whole grip tightened and she pulled the barrel down. Once she saw that, she was able to be more consistent with her grip and actually shot pretty well fro the rest of the range trip.

OP: Have someone do a slow-mo video of a close up of your grip to see what might be going on.

Top Bottom