• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shotbyspike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Sellersburg
    Hello, I'm interested in getting into black powder cap and ball revolver. I don't much about it and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about what I should get.:dunno:

thanks

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Visit the link in my profile. The best association for traditional muzzleloading. I'm the state rep for Indiana, so let me know if you have any questions, though I don't have any real experience with C&B guns.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I bought a Ruger Old Armey, 7 inch barrel, stainless steel with adjustable sights.

I wouldn't change a thing if I was to do it over and would buy another one if I see one at a reasonable price.

shotbyspike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Sellersburg
    yeah from what I've read the old army seems to be one of the best options. Too bad they aren't made anymore. Would definitely be interested in a used one. I was hoping not to spend too much, but no one seem to have a high of an opinion of the brass revolvers.

ps If I have a black powder handgun sent to me, if doesn't have to go to a FFL it can come straight to my house right?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    yeah from what I've read the old army seems to be one of the best options. Too bad they aren't made anymore. Would definitely be interested in a used one. I was hoping not to spend too much, but no one seem to have a high of an opinion of the brass revolvers.

ps If I have a black powder handgun sent to me, if doesn't have to go to a FFL it can come straight to my house right?

No. You can order from a catalogue shipped straight to your house and carry it with no government permit crap.

Check this out. Says I can still get one.
    GalleryofGuns.com - Gun Genie

Open the Genie and select Ruger, then Old Army, ...

I just took it all the way to the point of entering a credit card number to buy one from Harder's Gun Shop in Shoals for $479 before I decided not to spend the money. It said there were 24 of them available.

Use the 47446 area code to get Harder as a shop in your area if you don't mind driving there.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    +1 for Harder's. Stopped in whilst visiting my M.I.L. during turkey season last year. Good shop, good prices, good people.
    PS The old Army's are the best, and if you can afford one, do get it. You won't be sorry. If price is a big issue, don't be afraid of the old brass frame models, I've got two navies, one in .36 and one in .44, and do like them both. Not as strong or as great a quality as the Ruger, but not the price, either.

Last edited:

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I've been wanting to get back into muzzle loading as well. Only thing that has kept me from it is the price increase, I gave 75 dollars for the last old army I owned, That was 15 years ago though. and of course you can't do that anymore. Or at least I haven't had luck finding one that cheap.

I haven't shot one since I was pretty young and reading this has made me miss the bore butter.

What do you guys think a fair price for a .36 navy is these days?

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    cabelas has it all I suggest the colt 1860 army All you need is powder, the correct primers number 11 by the way, powder, black or some equivalent of fffg the cloth patches are the easy way to go cabelas has those as well. The pistol capper is convienient as well as the reloading stand. Using grease patches is a little messy and if it is hot out it melts. The powder flask will have the proper powder measure if you get the right flask for the gun. You will need a funnel for the powder flask,and last but not least you need some BALLS.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just shot and cleaned up an Italian replica 44. It's been loaded for several months when some kids were over here shooting them and never fired the last cylinder. They were not capped all that time. I decided to take it to Friendship this weekend and wanted to empty it and clean it up.

Capped all six nipples, took it out side and all six fired, no problem.

Stainless steel is the only way to go.

Easy to clean. Just learn the easy way and it's a piece of cake,

Capandballclean.jpg

shotbyspike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Sellersburg
    Thanks for the help. I was thinking of just us Crisco over the ends of the cylinder instead of the cloth patches. Has anyone else tried this. I also saw someone using 10w-40 motor oil on youtube instead of patches. That didn't sound like a good idea.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks for the help. I was thinking of just us Crisco over the ends of the cylinder instead of the cloth patches. Has anyone else tried this. I also saw someone using 10w-40 motor oil on youtube instead of patches. That didn't sound like a good idea.

You don't need cloth patches on top of the ball on these. I use crisco.

I don't know of any thing motor oil would be good for on one.

Dump the powder in the cylinder. Set a ball on it. Push it in. It should scrape off a ring of lead. That should really seal it but I put a dab of crisco on top to be sure. Then I push the crisco down as far as I can with my little finger and wipe off the extra back in to a film canister. This leaves just a ring of grease you can see most of the top of the lead ball with just a ring of grease around where the ball meets the cylinder wall. Turn the cylinder and repeat.

Squeezee a cap together just a little and force it on the nipple. Repeat for the next five shots. Set the hammer down in the notch between the cylinders. Put it in the holster and snap the strap. Put all your possibles back in the bag on your pistol belt.

Get a nasty mean look on your face.

Now yer set for 6 or 7 bad guys.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I would suggest finding some genuine fffg blackpowder rather than the pyrodex or goex I believe it is. There is nothing like the cloud of smoke and the sharp crack that real black powder will produce.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got a Traditions 1860 Cowboy Special cap and ball that's sat untouched in its box for over 10 years. I've thought about shooting it but just never have.

Top Bottom