• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    So I was reorganizing my stuff the other night, and had some family stop by while I was in the middle of it. They saw my breakdown kit and looked at me like I was nuts. I've carried some form of extra stuff with me since I started driving. I got a chuckle because I'm the one they call when their butts are in a sling, but I digress..

Besides the obvious spare tire, jack, and tire iron that came with the vehicle, I have a 25 gal. tub that lives in my trunk. Inside the tub are:

Blankets, head cover, food, water, several types of gloves, hand warmer packs, a tyvek suit (no reason to dirty my nice clothes), duct tape, a full metric socket set, multiple screwdrivers, box cutter knife...Jumper cables, spare fuses & bulbs, 5lb short sledge, propane torch, short pry bar multiple flashlights chargeable by cell cord, and a cold steel kukri machete.

I continue to add things as I come across stuff I think might come in handy some day. Basically whatever I can think of to stay mobile and avoid the need for a tow truck.

This is strictly automotive, middle of nowhere, roadside repair stuff in addition to my normal edc and medical stuff. So what sort of breakdown kit do you guys have? Anything I should add? Well, there's always stuff to add. Whaddya think?

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Car Kit Inventory
    String bag backpack
    Bag of bags
    Knife
    MRE and energy bars
    Stormproof matches
    Lighter with gorilla tape wrap
    Triox stove
    Water bottle, metal, full
    Candle
    Toilet paper
    Webbing strap
    Paracord rope
    Hat and gloves
    3 space blankets
    Wool blanket
    8x10 blue tarp
    Tire repair can
    Headlight with spare batteries
    Shovel
    Fusees (flares)
    Waterproof raincoat/poncho
    First aid kit – bandaids, acetaminophen 500 mg, pencil with medical tape wrap, hydrocortisone 1% cream, antibiotic cream, sting-ease, benzalkonium prep pads, 2 pair nitrile gloves

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't keep a kit in my car all the time, but whenever I go on a long road-trip, I put a tool bag with tools, duct tape, wire, hose clamps and some other basic car repair stuff.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I keep the standard tool kit, cables, etc and two flashlights. 1 in the glove box and one in the trunk. I have duct tape as well,along with a roll of splicing tape that is kind of pricey but enough wraps tightly enough I think it will repair a radiator hose better than duct tape. Thankfully haven't had to put it into practice but if nothing else it's eight dollars worth of confidence. I also keep some stake on terminals as well, mostly butt connectors but have a little assortment. It sounds dumb but I ruined a wiper blade pulling it loose from ice in a fit of impatience so I keep one for the drivers side as well because the passenger side is a different side. Great post I think I might the trunk a second look.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I keep both repair stuff and the "survival" type stuff. I had some variant of a kit issued to me when I got my license, and have never gone without since.

It's nice to always be the guy with the toolset in his trunk. Helping a stranded stranger is a good conversation starter for you single bucks out there too :naughty:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am a career auto mechanic, there is almost nothing on my truck that I cannot service or repair myself.

My breakdown kit is a AAA membership. In the winter I add a bag with some warm clothes, should I need to wait for AAA.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I am with you Paul. Just because I can doesn't mean I should or will repair what breaks. Although I am mostly bald I wouldn't want to mess my hair.

MuddyINGOGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Demotte, IN
    You should add a tow strap.

I currently only have a "mini kit" that entails:
    small folding knife
    tow strap
    four way tire iron
    flashlight
    spare tire
    orange emergency roadside triangles
    lighter
    jumper cables

Too bad some people think being prepared is crazy. I am apparently the only woman out of an office of 50 that carries a four way tire iron. I found this out when someone had a flat in the parking lot at work.

I think I may add a gallon of water though, especially when summer rolls around.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I am a career auto mechanic, there is almost nothing on my truck that I cannot service or repair myself.

My breakdown kit is a AAA membership. In the winter I add a bag with some warm clothes, should I need to wait for AAA.

I used to do the AAA thing too, until I needed them and it took them over 5 hours to get me a tow truck. The one time I needed them was also my last. That was the beginning motivator for me to be as self reliant as possible. If i need to call someone, friends and family are way better... at least for me.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Both trucks have tow straps,HD rope and shackles for if they or someone else gets stuck. Road flairs are a must, if you have ever rolled up on them in the dark you know why. Assortment of tools, zip ties, tie wire, tape etc. Both pack small air compressor and tire plugs. One has a portable battery jump pack, this has came in handy a lot. Coveralls,rubber & leather gloves, large piece of tyvek to lay on. Various flashlights and headlamps. Factory jack with a few short 2x4's or 4x4's for cribbing, wheel chalk. Extra belts, keep the old ones that were changed before they failed and stuff under the hood.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I keep a survival /go bag in my Jeep, plus a medic bag, broken in boots, wool blanket, food, water, rifle/ammo, axe, shovel, sledge, fubar, bolt cutters, fire extinguisher, etc etc.

For breakdowns:
    Tool kit: screwdrivers, set of wrenches, pliers, set of allen wrenches, and torx bits, multitool, tire pressure gauge, battery post cleaner, jumper cables, 2 tow straps, self priming siphon, duct tape, stainless wire, bulbs and fuses, hose clamps, spare belt, tire iron (cross), 3 gallons of fresh fuel, headlamp, gloves, coveralls, safety vest, flares, strobe

I also have a HAM radio in my rig and AAA membership. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't keep a kit in my car all the time, but whenever I go on a long road-trip, I put a tool bag with tools, duct tape, wire, hose clamps and some other basic car repair stuff.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In and around the city I roll with the knowledge that my son drives a roll back for the largest recovery outfit in the city. I will not be stranded long anywhere in the state.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have jumper cables in each car, but not tools. I have my EDC tools, but placing them in our cars wouldn't work - all other members of my family are mechanically disinclined. I might put a few in for someone who stops to help to use.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My #1 item - I keep our cars in good repair.

I don't keep a full repair kit in the vehicles normally. When we travel, I do throw in my recovery bag (straps, clevis', gloves) and my trail bag (tire plugs, common english/metric tools, duct/electrical tape, wire, fuses, and other assorted tools/items). My pickup does have a "roadside" kit under the seat (flares, triangles, orange vest, jumper cables, fuses, ether, etc...) and a first aid "boo-boo" kit. Of course, I also have my get-home-bag in whatever vehicle I am driving.

Top Bottom