• ...and so much more!
  • rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    My work is a C-TPAT facility. I can't bring any weapon of any kind through the door(instant termination). Because of this my M&P 9c lives in a Remora holster in the glove box with a spare magazine. If it's not there it is on my hip.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    So would having a gun permanently in the glove box be frowned upon??

Do you frown upon it yourself? If not then do it. Everyone here will have their own opinions but in the end none of that matters. If you want to have a dedicated vehicle gun then do it.

Personally if I'm driving for long periods my G19 is on me and I've got another Glock under the console. I carry appendix and due to the seat belt crossing my waist I cant easily get my gun out if needed. That being said when I get to were I am going that second gun comes with me. (into the hotel/relatives house) It really depends on where I am going. I cant carry at my full time job so my G19 sits in my truck all day until I get off work.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I hadn't thought about "car carry" other than to and from a range. If I felt a need to carry in the vehicle for self protection, it would probably be on my person rather than in the vehicle. Where I live and travel on the highway, the probability of needing to defend myself with deadly force is infinitesimally small, unlike a few small areas of Indiana. I've yet to encounter anything in this state that rises to anywhere near what I did in Compton, CA during the 1990's, and East St. Louis, IL in the mid-1970's. Those are two locales I would not venture into any more without an easily accessible concealed handgun, legally carried or not.

If I stashed it there for the drive, it would probably be under the driver's seat, where I would not have to reach if stopped for a traffic infraction. IMHO, in the glovebox or the center console is dangerous. If it's spotted while accessing registration documents, it could result in panicked officer pumping you full of lead from a full 9mm or .40 caliber double stack magazine with the predictable "justifiable homicide" ruling after you're dead and cannot contest it. Wherever anyone else decides to stash a "car carry", think about how you would keep from panicking a high-strung LEO while producing your DL, registration and insurance docs. It's unnerving to encounter a twitchy LEO pumped up on a max adrenaline dump for reasons that remain inexplicable, which I have experienced on a couple of occasions.

John

I wish I had your crystal ball! :D It's not the odds; it the stakes.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    As others have said...goes with me everywhere. And ALWAYS on me...not merely "in the car". I don't like the idea of having to grab my gun every time I am in and out of the car. Now, on long trips, where I am traveling for longer than a couple of hours, I may put it in its holster in between the seat and my console. In my Tahoe this works well; secure, readily accessible, provides a little more long distance comfort. BTW...I almost always carry AIWB, which is a bit uncomfortable on long trips, but shorter trips, around town, etc...it never changes.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Do you frown upon it yourself? If not then do it. Everyone here will have their own opinions but in the end none of that matters. If you want to have a dedicated vehicle gun then do it.

Personally if I'm driving for long periods my G19 is on me and I've got another Glock under the console. I carry appendix and due to the seat belt crossing my waist I cant easily get my gun out if needed. That being said when I get to were I am going that second gun comes with me. (into the hotel/relatives house) It really depends on where I am going. I cant carry at my full time job so my G19 sits in my truck all day until I get off work.

I haven't done it yet, my new job requires me to drive through some rough areas, and I can't carry into work. Definitely considering a dedicated car/truck gun.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I haven't done it yet, my new job requires me to drive through some rough areas, and I can't carry into work. Definitely considering a dedicated car/truck gun.

Sounds like that might be your best option. Look at the G Code Vehicle mounting system.

It uses adhesive Velcro to holds a panel that will allow you to lock a holster onto the inside of your vehicle. Kind of pricey but probably worth it.

You could have it mounted while driving then when going into work unlock the holster and throw it in the glove box and not have to worry about taking it out of the holster.

I am considering this in the future since its not a permanent modification to the vehicle and no holes need to be drilled.

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    I would only off-body carry as a last resort. You want that draw stroke to be completely automated. No fumbling when you need it.

Endrin2113

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Plainfield
    I'm not comfortable with leaving unsecured weapons in my vehicle. However, I'm literally never not carrying, so I guess I have a weapon in the vehicle when it matters.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've never been comfortable leaving a gun in a vehicle if I'm not in there with it. I have no problem with off body carry in a vehicle since the dynamics of the seating position could render a holstered weapon difficult to present if needed quickly.

Quick question to our LE members: How do you guys manage a full size OWB pistol when spending the bulk of your day behind the wheel? I have a hard time in a vehicle when carrying a full size gun for even a half hour. I end up with a back ache. Is it that the seats are much more forgiving of a pistol than buckets seats are or do you rotate the holster forward a bit when driving?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm reluctant to admit it, but i keep a gun in the center console of my vehicle, and only rarely on my person. Seems unpopular, but is it really?

Same here. Carry at work is a no go for me so when traveling to and from that is my only carry. Any other time it is my back up.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Like some others, I do not leave a weapon in my vehicle...see posts all the time where vehicle was broken into and "car gun" was taken....Just personal preference I think...I did make my own rig with holster that sits directly under the steering wheel...I use it on long trips mostly and it is surprisingly easily accessed, but when I get out of the vehicle so does my weapon....

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    Myself, I typically pocket carry at work (because not everyone I have as a customer approves of the 2nd ammendment) and because of that I keep a full size pistol in the middle of my vehicle, holstered and accessible but hidden in plain sight (getting to a pocket gun in a seat belt under stress = bad)

Top Bottom