• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    It’s time we had a serious discussion on car control. Every year, thousands of Americans are killed in auto accidents, and we need to look long and hard at how to drop that number. From 2001-2010, there were approximately 434,000 fatalities in auto accidents, an estimated 5% of those fatalities being children aged 2-14. These numbers cause auto accidents to rank as the number one killer of children during that time period.

In order to combat this horrible statistic, I propose some reasonable restrictions on autos in the US. Now, lest anyone get upset, no one is saying you can’t have a car, nor is anyone saying you can’t drive. But, I believe there are some common sense changes that can be put in place to lower the number of tragedies from these dangerous machines. Also, due to their need, these restrictions will not apply to automobiles being employed by the Police, Fire Department, or other Government agencies, local, state, or federal. With that said, on to the list…
    1. Due to their origin in racing, all import, sale, or transfer of any model from the following manufacturers shall be banned. These vehicles have no practical purpose in everyday life, as their high output engines and limited passenger compartments are not conducive to regular commuting and travel.
      • Ferrari
      • Maserati
      • Porche
      • Lamborghini
      • Lotus
    2. Specific models of automobile from domestic manufacturers are also similarly restricted for the same reason.
      • Chevrolet Corvette
      • Ford 500GT
      • Dodge Viper
    3. All domestic auto manufacturers must restrict passenger cars to less than 350 horsepower. Foreign auto manufacturers must meet the same requirement for all models imported to, or manufactured in, the US.
    4. All domestic auto manufacturers must install a governor on any model that does not fall in the above categories, with a factory 0-60 time of less than 7.5 seconds. Foreign auto manufacturers must meet the same requirement for all models imported to, or manufactured in, the US.
    5. The following features designed to enhance horsepower and increase speed are no longer to be offered on any domestic car model. Foreign auto manufacturers must meet the same requirement for all models imported to, or manufactured in, the US.
      • Supercharger
      • Turbocharger
      • 6-speed Manual Transmission
    6. Similarly, manufacture, sale, and transfer of all aftermarket products mentioned in (4), as well as the below items is banned
      • Cold Air Intake
      • Exhaust Kit
      • Aerodynamic Rear Wing
      • Nitrous Oxide System (NOS)
    Please, join me in ridding our country of these death dealing machines, and making our roads safer for our children, before any more lives are lost to them.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I see where you are going, but since many of these restrictions would not impact the "average" American, I think you need to go farther.

Chauffeur Requirements for all driver's with more than one passenger, and all drivers's of "high capacity" vehicles
    As passengers are often a distraction, especially when they are children, and as the death rate in high-occupancy vehicles would be higher, all drivers taking passengers must be certified by the State. Additionally, owning a"high capacity" vehicle (any vehicle capable of carrying more than 3 passengers) would require additional training and licensing.

"Speed Kills" restrictions on all vehicles
    No one needs more than 100 HP. Vehicles will be GPS monitored and governed to the posted speed limit. Vehicle acceleration will be limited to 10 second 0-60 MPH or the equivalent. All highway speeds are set at 50 MPH or lower. As passing is now unnecessary, you may not switch lanes unless merging into/out of traffic.

Intersection Safety Program
    As most collisions happen at intersections, all intersections with stop-lights nation-wide will be replaced with round-abouts. Smaller, side street intersections will be right-turn only. You will no longer be allowed to turn left or proceed straight. Adjusts your routes accordingly.

Distracted Driving Prevention
    The following are perma-band from all vehicles: radios, iPods, cell phones, small children, coffee, make-up, newspapers, GPS devices, aftermarket gauges, and food of any kind. HVAC controls must be set prior to shifting from park, and cannot be adjusted while in gear. Cameras must be installed to monitor eye movement, and looking anywhere but forward, to the side, or at a mirror will engage the flashers and horn.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I get the analogy, but forget Ferraris, Maseratis, and Porches for a minute.

LOTS of ordinary cars are used in crimes every year. How do you think criminals get to and escape from the scenes of their crimes? People are kidnapped with cars. People rob banks with cars (i.e. the getaway vehicle). These are federal crimes people!

In addition to crime, cars also have an outrageously negative impact on the environment and contribute disproportionately to our dependence on foreign oil!

We need common sense car control. Now that I think of it, there's really no reason for anyone to own a personal car of any kind. We can handle it all with public transportation of various kinds.

The time has come.

(The goal is a total ban, don't forget that; even though we may have to implement controls little by little, or phase them in.)

[Purple to all implied if you didn't pickup on it.]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The speed limit is 70mph so do we REALLY need cars that go 150mph? Why on earth would someone need a car that goes that fast??

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Don't be surprised if in (20? 50?) years, when computer controlled cars are a reality, that restrictions like this are in place for human driven vehicles. Don't believe me? Autonomous computer controlled aircraft are *very* close for airplanes that aren't carrying people.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    rep to both of you.
    I reposted and e-mailed.

Anyone want to take a stab at list of what banning items or "controlling items based on

medical malpractice,
    Medical errors
    pharmaceutical overdose,
    pharmaceutical counter indications (mixing meds)
    alcohol,
    cigerettes
    food alergies
    drowning (lets ban water)
    military "training" accidents

should also be considered since they all cause serious injury and death as well.

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Don't forget Jeeps and Hummers, since they were originally intended as military vehicles, so they don't belong on the streets in the possession of civilians.

Top Bottom