• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    We are in the process of looking for a new car for the wife. I have called on 4 vehicles in the area and ALL of them have not been in stock. One guy (old fella) told me the car was sold last year some time. Isn't using fake sales to entice customers illegal?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I thought is was. If they are listed on ebay, I would file a complaint letting ebay know these dealers are not stocking what they advertise.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Have you tried looking on craigslist.org? I've bought my last two cars thru there. Took me some time looking at ads, getting more info, going to look at some, but luckily I've ended up with two real nice Tbirds. As always, caution is advised when dealing with people on craigslist.org.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Every retailer does this. A great deal and a certain item and when you make the trip, go through all the crap to get in the store and none in stock....they had maybe 5 of them and they are all gone. SOP.

A Dear friend was a car salesman for several years until health issues pout him at a computer handling the inter-web sales for a given dealer. They were so full of crap he had to leave. Made him nuts.
    Find a car on the lot and look at it, drive it and if you like it buy it. Screw the internet.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I thought is was. If they are listed on ebay, I would file a complaint letting ebay know these dealers are not stocking what they advertise.
    Its called false advertisement and also a form of bait & switch which are both illegal.
    I just bought a 2003 Tahoe 4wd LT with factory tow package last month off ebay from a dealer in St. Louis. I flew there from Indy and They dropped the Tahoe off at the airport for me and I drove it home. :D
    Seller could have been a little more honest about some minor and minor+ problems(that I can fix myself but will cost me $500 total) but overall I got a fully loaded LT with sunroof rear air/heat and 3rd row all leather seats, front ones are heated even, 5 disc Bose Factory system. 128,500 miles.......$7800

Check the vin and match the title ...FIRST THING!
    Check over the vehicle before handing over the rest of the cash (put only a deposit down paid via paypal)
    Take it for a test drive BEFORE you pay for it and receive the title. Check for overheating, check engine light (minor or might be major problem), Lock the brakes up and make sure the anti locks work.
    When you first turn the ignition on (right before cranking engine) all dash instrument cluster lights should come on then go off. If they dont come on then bulb is blown OR someone is trying to hid a problem!

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Beware of the advertised "Disposition Sales" they use to lure people in.
    The marketing geniuses have learned to prey on the weak minded and greedy natures of people by advertising huge discounts on nonexistent vehicles that were repossessed.

It is all about getting you in the door and flipping you into whatever vehicle they can convince you is worth paying as much as they can get you to pay. Then it is on to the Finance guy who now knows everything about your income and credit score. He then finds any shame you may have and exploits it into charging the highest interest that he can knowing that he will be able to sell it off for the difference between the interest percentage you agreed to pay vs. the interest percentage that you qualified for with the lender. This typically is how friends of the dealership gets those great deals everyone hears about but rarely exist.
    They don't stay in business because they are giving out crazy deals..

Thankfully there are enough misinformed sheeple out there who are willing to keep making car dealers rich that you can do some modest homework and find a reliable vehicle without getting taken for a ride in the dealership.

Good luck with your purchase.

Top Bottom