Car/Deer Accident: OK to Put the Deer Out of its Misery?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Price county. Phillips/Park Falls are the closest gas pumps and hardware stores. South Fork of the Flambeau. Just drop down to Hwy70 and head west.

I call it the quite side of the forest, Regardless of which forest. Less lakes means less tourists. Although I get people from all over lost in my drive while grouse hunting.

Last edited:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Price county. Phillips/Park Falls are the closest gas pumps and hardware stores. South Fork of the Flambeau.

Cool. Love it up there. I stopped in park falls to get gas on my way to clam lake hunting two years ago. You don't work at the paper mill there do you.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    No but I know people there. Obviously it's a very small community here in general. Maybe 15k people in the county? I keep telling myself I should go get a job at St. Croix rod just for the fun of it and employee discount!

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    St. Croix... that's the rod company I was trying to think of. I saw them when I went through town but I was thinking Fenwick but could not remember.

Anyway, I have jacked this thread long enough. Stay warm up there.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    St. Croix... that's the rod company I was trying to think of. I saw them when I went through town but I was thinking Fenwick but could not remember.

Anyway, I have jacked this thread long enough. Stay warm up there.
    I disagree. OP got good responses in a short amount of time and we know the outcome. Good, efficient thread. Now it's just morphing into something else.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If I was to run into a situation like this one, where is the best place to aim while using a 9mm or .380?

If you can get a shot just below the ear and behind the lower jaw into the brain and brain stem, or between the eyes, that is the fastest and probably least painful for the deer. But that could be hard to do with a wounded and scared animal that is probably trying to get away. Otherwise a boiler room shot just behind the front shoulder would take out the heart and lungs. Don't shoot the shoulder itself as depending on the type of round you are shooting, you may not get enough penetration to do enough damage to quickly euthanize the animal.

At a high level, the anatomy of a deer is not that much different than a human. Picture an adult bent down and walking "on all 4's" pretending to be a horse or a deer. You can see that behind the front shoulder opens up a nice view of the rib cage and access to the heart and lungs. That gives you a pretty good idea of about where the heart and lungs would be on a deer, which would be best case for trying to quickly kill it. Most of the time if you take out the heart and lungs the animal will die in a minute or so, once the blood is no longer pumping to the brain.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My BIL put down a lot of car hit deer with a 9mm, and was not a fan of the round.

Of course this was on a base so he probably had reg ball ammo.

Give em a pop behind the shoulder and walk away, let things finalize.

Top Bottom