• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Wait for the weather to warm up a little or go somewhere that it is and rent a mustang convertible and a camaro convertible. We've done this on our trips to Key West and the camaro got a resounding thumbs down for many reasons. The biggest being that you lose most of your trunk space with the top down. You also sit very low in the car and it has poor visibility with the top up.
    This is what we did last Jan when we went to Big Pine Key. We rented a black mustang convertible. We only saw about 200 of them in a week. At one point 5 cars were coming towards us on US1, 4 of them were black mustang convertibles. We drive a BMW and a Porsche, so while it was a nicer than usual rental car and a lot of fun, we still thought it drove like a truck.
    My experience driving 2-seater cars over the last 35 years is that you pay more initially, pay more for maintenance, get a helluva driving experience for a long time, and when they start to croak or maintenance gets to be an issue, you buy another one. Some of my relatives make snide comments about my owning expensive cars, but the fact is, I've only owned 3 of them since 1991 and I'm only two years into the third one. I wonder who's spent more $$ me or them?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yeah you can almost guarantee that every convertible mustang or camaro in south Florida is a rental . Only tourists would run around with the top down in 90 degree weather and 99 percent humidity! :laugh:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Very nice. If I am lucky enough to go this direction, that's exactly the experience I'm shooting for.

I don't mind working on my own vehicles one bit. Especially maintenance items. Repairs and upgrades are totally in my wheelhouse as well. I am lucky enough that my OWN car does not have to be dead-nuts reliable. Hell, I own and drive Jeeps. The only vehicle I know of where ping and pinion is considered a "maintenance item" and the only working dashboard light says "Check Engine" (I did. Still running. Good enough for today.).

I've kicked around ton of options over the last several months. Some pay homage to my late uncle's "fun cars" (His Audi Quattro or Buick Grand National), or to let my wife relive a bit of her own childhood (her dad daily-drove a 1971 454/4-speed Corvette). These would all be a ton of fun, but are getting really pricey and would end up being a fair weather car. I want a daily, and something I am not afraid to drive cross-country on a lark, without care of the weather. Just like any other DD.

While fantasizing on the above, I started to notice just how quickly some really nice cars depreciate. My current "dream car" is the Lotus. They are $75K new (hell of a bargain, IMHO), and a REALLY nice low-mileage 2000-and-something model is $25K or less now. If I were at a slightly different place in life right now, there would be an Exige in the garage. But, BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, and a whole host of other sporty luxury cars ALSO depreciate like mad over 10 years. Some of them still look fantastic. Some still compete really well on performance specs.

Soo... Dunno.

I owned my 2006 330i for the last 9 years as it was in my budget in 2010 when I bought it. It was my first BMW but NOT my first time working on cars. At first I fell for the "hard to work on" line and paid a shop to do a few things it needed. I then learned that I could do almost anything it needed and parts are cheap on line. I LOVE to drive used to race my 1987 Mustang LX 5.0 at IRP back n the day. I wanted the feeling of the 5.0 but the comfort of my 330i. I always wanted an M but until recently, they were too much money. Depreciation has finally made them affordable as I picked up my 2008 M3 with 58k miles on it for $19,500. I don't think good M3's are going to get any cheaper. They are an iconic division from an iconic brand. A well maintained M will likely always be sought after and hold value. It truly is a "driver's car". As one of my department's advanced driving instructors, I've driven all sorts of V8 police cars on road coarses. The Hemi Charger is the fastest police car I've driven but it just doesn't feel like a driver's car built for this stuff. BMW's in general and the M3 certainly does. I hope you find what you are looking for.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I owned my 2006 330i for the last 9 years as it was in my budget in 2010 when I bought it. It was my first BMW but NOT my first time working on cars. At first I fell for the "hard to work on" line and paid a shop to do a few things it needed. I then learned that I could do almost anything it needed and parts are cheap on line. I LOVE to drive used to race my 1987 Mustang LX 5.0 at IRP back n the day. I wanted the feeling of the 5.0 but the comfort of my 330i. I always wanted an M but until recently, they were too much money. Depreciation has finally made them affordable as I picked up my 2008 M3 with 58k miles on it for $19,500. I don't think good M3's are going to get any cheaper. They are an iconic division from an iconic brand. A well maintained M will likely always be sought after and hold value. It truly is a "driver's car". As one of my department's advanced driving instructors, I've driven all sorts of V8 police cars on road coarses. The Hemi Charger is the fastest police car I've driven but it just doesn't feel like a driver's car built for this stuff. BMW's in general and the M3 certainly does. I hope you find what you are looking for.
    This is the truth. Parts can be found and you can DIY for the most part. What I have found is that service information is harder to come by but it is out there. For the most part the Germans are just another car.

Most cars noted in this thread will have at least one enthusiast forum out there. Find it and read it to see what common problems are and what to watch out for. You might even find someone who has taken care of it and is ready to move on to another toy.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Porsche: There is no substitute!

Avoid IMS or simply get it done the minute you get a car that had the issue and it’s good to go.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For hiway miles, I opt for comfort. I also like a bigger vehicle. My wife's little SUV doesn't get as much respect on the hiway as my pickup and the pickup is much more comfortable to ride in. That being said, don't let someone talk you into a vehicle. Pick the one you like or you will always be disappointed...been there...done that!

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Thread Resurrection....

I did a thing:
    View attachment 232190
    Did you buy this? Is it an off-lease vehicle or new? Curious as a lifetime car enthusiast that likes BMW as a driver the last decade. Saw a couple other BMW owners in this thread, @Denny347 M3 looks like fun. Always wanted to drive one.

If you own this I'd like to hear about the S58 engine as I have a B58 and N54 car.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yes, I bought this 2 weeks ago, and immediately took it on a family trip to Virginia.

One previous owner. Leased, and then traded in. I got it from Fishers Imports.

It is a 2020 BMW X3 M Competition in Black Sapphire Metallic. Essentially the M3 Competition drivetrain under an X3 body. 503HP, 0-60 in 3.6 sec, and runs the 1/4 under 12 sec. Don't let the wagon/SUV body fool you. It is quick.

I don't know a ton about BMWs. Lots to learn. So far, this thing is a blast.

IMG_2319.jpeg
    Did you buy this? Is it an off-lease vehicle or new? Curious as a lifetime car enthusiast that likes BMW as a driver the last decade. Saw a couple other BMW owners in this thread, @Denny347 M3 looks like fun. Always wanted to drive one.

If you own this I'd like to hear about the S58 engine as I have a B58 and N54 car.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Yes, I bought this 2 weeks ago, and immediately took it on a family trip to Virginia.

It is a 2020 BMW X3 M Competition in Black Sapphire Metallic. Essentially the M3 Competition drivetrain under an X3 body. 503HP, 0-60 in 3.6 sec, and runs the 1/4 under 12 sec. Don't let the wagon/SUV body fool you. It is quick.

View attachment 232225
    They each have their own personality. And the cold brings out their moody side a bit.

My M5 loved throwing codes in the cold. But the system(s)was not actually wrong or broke. She was just moody.

I think the biggest headach was the power steering hoses i hung on to for to long.

Was my fault for not changing them sooner.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We ran it thru a car wash the day after we got it. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. My wife asked "What have we DONE?????". Let it sit for a bit while we ran into Costco. When it re-started, all was well.

So, yeah, I think she has a temper.

On the flip side, it cruised 80+ MPH on the highway for hours, got flogged up and down a mountain road, and hit the highway for 4 more hours. Didn't miss a beat.

Still has 2 years of warranty and a year of service. We'll let BMW deal with any issues.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL

Very nice. That will be years of fun. I've have several sports cars that I modified but when I bought both my BMWs off-lease, I didn't want to change anything. Personally I think they are a well rounded drivers car and not wanting to change the OEM configuration told me something. I especially like the feel of the road and handling feedback, the overall drivability as you mention. I have an 08 335i and 18 640i GT.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I was originally looking for a 3 or 5 series. My wife was really NOT interested in a sedan (or coupe). We have been truck/SUV people for a long time. While snooping around the lot, she came across an X5M. It was too big, but that turned us on to the fact these things even exist. That lot also had a couple of X3Ms, and this Competition.

Some of the online reviews were concerning. Things like "too harsh" and "too loud". Coming from a Jeep Wrangler, the X3 is smoooooth and quiet! I suspect they were comparing to the M3 or the regular X3.

I can see where BMW gets the whole "driver's car" thing from. After 2 days on highways and byways, it was still super comfortable. It was just as happy eating up the miles as roaring around twisty mountain roads.

We debated on the X3M or the Competition. My wife finally pushed for the Competition. If we were going to go a bit "over the top", may as well get sprinkles.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ve always been a VW guy. I had a few Bugs and a Ghia and a Mazda RX3 during High school and the Navy. Had a Camaro and a 74’ Z28 back in the 70’s, and a few Explorers when I traveled for work but mostly VWs starting in 03’ when I bought a 24vVR6 Jetta GLI. That was a fun car. Pretty comfortable and a fair amount of power and man that VR sounded so good with a Magnaflow cat back exhaust! Had a half dozen Corrados, older MK2 and MK3 VWs and tinkered on all of them.
    In 09’ I had my first heart attack and a 5 vessel cardiac bypass and that knocked me off my feet both physically and financially for a while. Had to sell a couple cars and lots of my other fun items. Have had 8, I think, heart caths and numerous stents placed since then as well as other surgery and back issues so my tinkering in cars has been greatly reduced. I still love em though.
    My first Audi was an 03’ Avant but I lost it after my heart surgery. Kept my GLI and bought n sold a few other VWs during that time. Finally sold my beloved GLI in 2012 I think and got an 09’ Audi A4. It was nice but kinda boring. Still had a 92’ Corrado VR6 that I played with so it wasn’t too bad. I don’t remember the exact deals but since then I’ve had a 15’ Audi Q5 TDI that was a blast to drive but traded it fo a 17’ A4 Avant that was really loaded and fun but again kinda boring. There was a 15’ S3 in there somewhere that was really fun but sorta small and didn’t have a lot of the options I had become accustomed to. Another A4 SLine that was nice and then an SQ5. Man that thing is a blast to drive and can go from mild to wild with a push of a button! 3.0 Turbocharged V6 with 8 speed automatic and paddle shifters and Quattro. Factory air ride, sport different, 20” wheels and huge brakes! Had an 09’ VW GTI that was my daily but with the coilovers and bad back it was just too low for me. It was going to need some work so I sold it and started to look for a bigger car.
    I then stumbled on the almost perfect car for me, even though I had to sell my last VW, the Corrado. I owned that car around 10 years and really loved it but I just couldn’t tinker on it like it needed to be kept up. First time without a VW in over 20 years. My perfect car is a 17’ Audi A6 Competition. Big, luxurious and loaded with modern options. Being a Competition there were very few made and it’s sorta rare. It has a 3.0 Supercharged V6 and 8 speed automatic with paddle shifters. Comes lowered on factory suspension, sport differential, giant brakes and of course Quattro. It has every option Audi had that year except Night Vision. It does have Heads Up Display though and I’m not sure how I like that but it can be turned off when I don’t feel like using it. It’s really an old man sleeper. I plan on having a Stage 1 APR tune done on it to add around 100HP. I’m old but not dead yet lol.
    A Porsche 911 was always my Dream Car but I doubt that’ll ever happen now, but I am pretty happy with the Audi. I plan on keeping it as long as I’m able. Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

• 72A6EF3D-D0B4-42D0-AB74-75B508038BE3.jpeg
      72A6EF3D-D0B4-42D0-AB74-75B508038BE3.jpeg
      930.4 KB · Views: 2
    • F678F054-FB43-4949-9D60-A28BFCBDC293.jpeg
      F678F054-FB43-4949-9D60-A28BFCBDC293.jpeg
      177.1 KB · Views: 2
    • 7A2808F0-414B-4D0E-9FF3-642CF67740F8.jpeg
      7A2808F0-414B-4D0E-9FF3-642CF67740F8.jpeg
      791.5 KB · Views: 2
    • 730CF43E-0638-4E87-99D3-C2A048C46774.jpeg
      730CF43E-0638-4E87-99D3-C2A048C46774.jpeg