• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Im looking to find a good all around code reader. Something that does live data, srs, abs etc. i have a variety of car makes so would like something that does well with diff makes. What are you guys using?

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    I have a Matco MD70 that I use. Does a pretty good job on our stuff. We have vehicles from GM, Ford and Chrysler and it works on them all. The way the buttons are is kind of confusing and takes some tinkering to figure it all out but overall I have been happy with it. It comes with Fix Advisor which suggests components that could cause such code. It also does ABS and live data.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I use this one:
    61x1Wz7BgEL._SL1000_.jpg

$13 on Amazon, plus the Pro Torque App for $4.95.

Pretty cool stuff, way more detailed than I have pursued it. I do run some cool gauges though and have reset codes.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    the cheaper ones like that have issues with newer vehicles - it wouldnt even connect to my 06 mustang.

IMO, for bluetooth go with an OBDLink MX, otherwise get into something more serious like a real scan tool, but they get expensive quick.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    the cheaper ones like that have issues with newer vehicles - it wouldnt even connect to my 06 mustang...

I read that in a forum somewhere also, still I rolled the dice for $13. I cannot attest to minute technician sort of details, but it seems to do everything the Torque App has asked of it in my '07 Focus. :dunno:

Mine lives plugged into the OBDII port in the Focus, connecting automatically every time I open the torque app. It automatically turns on Bluetooth on the phone, but I have to turn on the location/GPS manually to use some compass and speedo features.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have this scanner at home, and I love it. I has worked on every vehicle I have tried. It does OBD-II as well as ABS codes, and it has live streaming data. I got lucky and scored in on a Cyber Monday deal for $125.

Equus 3160 Innova ABS + Professional Diagnostic Code Scanner - Walmart.com

I also have a Genisys scan tool that I got from a local high school that had was getting rid of equipment because the new shop "teacher" didn't know how to use anything and didn't know the value of anything. I only paid $100.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes and you can actually set up the Torque app with dual speedo displays to compare your car's speedometer reading to the actual phone GPS tracking reading.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would recommend checking out Matco tools website. But I would stay away from the cheapo crap if you are going to really rely on the data stream. I have a coworker who constantly buys cheap tools and his code reader is super slow on data stream. I know matco has som good stuff reasonably priced. But if you want professional quality be ready to pony up big bucks. My scan tool isn't top of the line and it set me back almost 6 grand.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Can it read info on speed sensors as well? Not sure if that falls under abs

My Equus scanner only gives live data from the ECM, so it will give overall speed, but not each individual wheel speed sensor. It will only read ABS codes, no live data for it.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I would recommend checking out Matco tools website. But I would stay away from the cheapo crap if you are going to really rely on the data stream. I have a coworker who constantly buys cheap tools and his code reader is super slow on data stream. I know matco has som good stuff reasonably priced. But if you want professional quality be ready to pony up big bucks. My scan tool isn't top of the line and it set me back almost 6 grand.

With you on that. I have a ELM, Only thing that would read my 87 Ford diesel. It is OBDII but not a normal one. The diesels were exempt on being compliant until 2000. It is a bastard system. On the other hand I picked up a Actron reader. One of the newer better ones. It came with fix advisor. Works ok. Supposed to do ABS and air bags. Will see. I think it was about $300+. Still a cheapy compared to the good ones. Actually head pretty good things about the Harbor Freight one. But even from HF it was a $1000 or more if I remember. If you want a really good one you are a couple grand on up. I guess it really depends on what you want to do. The guy at work bought one to do our new trucks. (sprinters) I think he spent 20k on it. Still grumbling it does not read them as good as it should. Plus Mercedes can lock out the trucks so he can't read them. So he told me. They wanted him to upgrade to a 30 or 40k unit. Should have heard him on that.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Oh I am clear on that. I was looking to yrade my scan tool in a couple years ago and even after the trade in value the Snap on svan tool I was looking at was going to be close to $10,000. But I couldn't justify it since I primarily only use it at home. At work we have factory authorization so we use the same lap tops the dealers have.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Slow, the answers you got to your question on IndyHP made me not reply there. Eli (from our other website) has a very professional quality scanner that gave way more info than I get from my Bluetooth adapter.

I have the PLX Kiwi Bluetooth adapter and bought the Torque pro software + bought Dashcommand ($10). Torque is nice but Dashcommand was able to clear that stubborn fake knock sensor code easier and it's not showing up now.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I have car gauge pro on android. I bought a OBDII bluetooth for around 20 bucks on AMAZON. It works great on my 7.3 Powerstroke. It will even do a buzz test on the injectors. It also reads all the advanced PIDS that are in the ECM. I can read real time boost, coolant temp, oil temp and the like. I had to buy it because I was having a problem with the motor. If you include the tablet, bluetooth thing, and the app I have less than 250 in it. Plus I can surf INGO on the tablet. -Jason

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I have car gauge pro on android. I bought a OBDII bluetooth for around 20 bucks on AMAZON. It works great on my 7.3 Powerstroke. It will even do a buzz test on the injectors. It also reads all the advanced PIDS that are in the ECM. I can read real time boost, coolant temp, oil temp and the like. I had to buy it because I was having a problem with the motor. If you include the tablet, bluetooth thing, and the app I have less than 250 in it. Plus I can surf INGO on the tablet. -Jason

What year is your 7.3?? Where did you get the Gauge pro software?? I think I got mine all set up for about $50. I got a tablet for $25 from Tiger direct before they swirled the drain. Wife had some thing to go to in Chicago a couple years ago. So I sat in the parking lot for a few hours learning how to use it. I set up all the gauges to work with boost, oil pressure, Hpop pressure. No coolant temp sensor on my 7.3. It uses oil temp IIRC. Another weird quirk on the 7.3.

Mine is a 1997 and the regular OBDII readers were all messed up. It said CEL on when it wasn't and said no codes when I knew it did.

Top Bottom