• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I agree with the other folks that struts are a pain. I did attempt it once, but without a strut press, its just worth the extra dough for someone else to handle that.

As far as the brakes, I know you don't wanna hear it, but I say do em yourself. Never hurts to learn a new skill or two. They are extremely easy especially on a newer vehicle. My experience at brake shops is that they will try to sell you on all sorts of BS you don't need, and will move heaven and earth to get out of honoring a warranty. What better peace of mind could you ask for besides knowing you did it right?

Check out Eric The Car Guy on Youtube or Welcome to EricTheCarGuy.com! - EricTheCarGuy- Stay Dirty!. He does VERY good videos and I am sure you will feel confident in working on your own car. It's not as complicated as you might think. I've been doing my own since I started driving and have probably saved $10,000 over that time.

Heck, I got a lot of time on my hands for the next month or so, if you're close to the NWI area, stop by and I will show you how to do em... ya know, the whole "Teach a man to fish" thing...

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Sounds a little pricey for brakes.
    You can get the lifetime warranty stuff at orielly or autozone far cheaper and just go back for free replacement when worn out.
    Brakes especially with new rotors are just bolt on parts. You don't really need any specialized tools.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts, opinions, and advice.

I am leaning towards doing the brakes myself...with assistance. Something that I think I ought to know. And yes, $575 was inclusive of labor at Car-X.

The price quoted for struts was also inclusive of labor and alignment + a "discount for doing most of your maintenance with two vehicles with us". I don't have the print out in front of me to say exactly what the parts themselves are.

I still think that I don't want to tackle the suspension myself...even with experience hands to guide me.

As far as the money into the car... We're wanting at least 200k miles out of it. Blue Book Value be damned. Plan on driving it until it won't go no mo'.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Don't forget to test the brakes out Frank Costanza style, stopping short.

XLSoTwP8SCHe0.gif

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    On my broken down estimate for the suspension is 2x Sensa-Trac Pass. Presume that means for passenger vehicle. And two different numbers for "quick-strut ass" - Presumably both left and right strut assemblies.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    On my broken down estimate for the suspension is 2x Sensa-Trac Pass. Presume that means for passenger vehicle. And two different numbers for "quick-strut ass" - Presumably both left and right strut assemblies.

Sensa-trac are Napa struts. They are pretty good quality. Quick strut is the whole assembly so you get a new mount, coil spring, and strut in one unit.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Sensa-trac are Napa struts. They are pretty good quality. Quick strut is the whole assembly so you get a new mount, coil spring, and strut in one unit.

I figured that's what a quick strut was. I'm sure way more cost-effective than buying all the parts separate and then needing to assemble before installation. Still don't want to do it myself. LOL

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is of absolutely no help to the OP but DAYUM I'm glad I do this kind of stuff myself. I just replaced all 4 rotors and new pads front and rear on my '00 explorer using Bendix parts with their best pads and spent a total of $280. It took about 2 hours and that annoying pedal oscillation disappeared!!

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I figured that's what a quick strut was. I'm sure way more cost-effective than buying all the parts separate and then needing to assemble before installation. Still don't want to do it myself. LOL

Yeah don't blame you there! Lol. I could do the brakes myself but I'd be a little worried about taking a strut apart and trying to reassemble it.

Top Bottom