• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    I have been looking for a truck for months. The funny thing is, most of the Dealers I have been to don't want to sell unless they are getting Gold prices
    for what they have. I asked one Dealer Monday what bottom dollar was(truck was 27900) he said 27500, which out the door is almost 30,000 and is 33,000 with after market warranty. Truck books for 28,000. I just had to vent, now back to truck hunting:rockwoot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So?

What is the problem?

Many vehicles have people waiting in line to get them, those particular vehicles sell for list price. Just the way the free market works. You are lucky to get any discount if you are looking at vehicles that are actually in demand.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    So?

What is the problem?

Many vehicles have people waiting in line to get them, those particular vehicles sell for list price. Just the way the free market works. You are lucky to get any discount if you are looking at vehicles that are actually in demand.
    LOL no problem just gets a little frustrating when dealers think everybody is stupid,and they really don't like it when you know what something is worth.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Trucks seem to be hot right now. Don't know if production is down, demand up, or both. I've had 3 dealerships call me trying to trade my GMC in for something else. They REALLY want that truck. Darn thing is paid for, so I'm not trading it!

Stoops down in Plainfield did the best deal for me. Kinda far for you, though.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Trucks seem to be hot right now. Don't know if production is down, demand up, or both. I've had 3 dealerships call me trying to trade my GMC in for something else. They REALLY want that truck. Darn thing is paid for, so I'm not trading it!

Stoops down in Plainfield did the best deal for me. Kinda far for you, though.
    Ya I'm after a 1-Ton Diesel probably a dually. They have them up here, and not really moving them much.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    LOL no problem just gets a little frustrating when dealers think everybody is stupid,and they really don't like it when you know what something is worth.

I don't understand.

They have the truck. They are not budging on the price. My guess is they do know what it is actually worth.

Friend of mine picked up a new Ford RAPTOR, worked with a couple different dealers. Neither would budge on the price. Finally bought a demo RAPTOR at a slight discount because it had a few miles on it but was still technically new.

Go try buying a diesel VW and see how much discount you can get. Those things have waiting lists. I special ordered one, gave them a $1000 deposit and tried to play 3 different dealers against each other. Got $50 off the MSRP from one of them. The other 2 held at MSRP. Now I get offers to sell that car.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My brother fought this a month or so ago after he wrecked his truck in a freak accident he started looking for another one.

One dealer had a 2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins for $49k IIRC.
    He checked it out, talked to the salesman. He said his bottom dollar was $47 and they wouldn't budge any lower. My brother passed.

A week later he gets a phone call from them (he has no idea how they got his number). They tell him today only they are having a special sale on that truck and he should come take a look at it again. He gets there and the "special sale" is $48k.

The conversation goes like this.
    Him:"Uh, I thought you said it was a special sale, this is more than you said you'd take for it last week"
    Them: "Well that was last week, this is a special sale on this weeks price"
    Him:"But it's not special, it's more expensive than before, why did you even call me in here"
    Them:"Well, we're willing to throw in a paint protection wash/was job and an interior detail job for that price, that's why it's more expensive"
    Him:"I don't want those, what is your bottom dollar as the truck sits right now, without any extras thrown in?"
    Them:"We can't go any lower than $48"
    Him:"Well, it looks like we aren't going to do business then because are numbers are too far apart to even come to a compromise"
    Them:"What is your number?"
    Him:"$45k"
    Them:"Uh... let me go get my manager"
    Manager:"I'm sorry but we can't do $45k on that truck"
    Him:"Then why did you call me in here today telling me you had a special deal on this truck and I get in here and you're asking more for it this week than you were last week?"
    Manager:"Because we're including extras with it this week"
    Him:"I don't want extras, I want the truck only"
    Manager:"Well we can't do that"
    Him:"Well then that's not the truck for me"
    Manager, starting to get snotty as if my brother is the one wasting their time:"Just what kind of truck is for you?"
    Him:"A well-maintained, well-cared for Dodge Cummins 5.9L or 6.7L for a reasonable price"
    Manager:"Well you're not going to find one, everybody that has the nice ones is asking too much for them"
    Him:"Like you are?"
    Manager:"Look bud, you can keep looking for that needle in a haystack kind of truck if you want but you aren't going to find it anytime soon. You'll eventually come crawling back here and buy this one for $48k after you've realized there are no better deals than us."

At that point he proceeded to walk out... 2 weeks later he found an immaculately maintained '07 Dodge 3500 cummins with 43,000 miles for $22k. Found the proverbial needle in a haystack within 2 weeks... **** on car dealers that are so arrogant and full of themselves that they treat a potential customer like he is the one wasting their time when they are the ones that wasted his time...:ar15:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ... **** on car dealers that are so arrogant and full of themselves that they treat a potential customer like he is the one wasting their time when they are the ones that wasted his time...:ar15:

I agree with you that if the car dealer is being a jerk, and in the case of your brother he was being a jerk, then pissing on them is the best solution.

But if someone is trying to buy vehicle that is in demand and the supply is short, and do so at an unreasonable discount, then I see no reason to blame the dealer.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I agree with you that if the car dealer is being a jerk, and in the case of your brother he was being a jerk, then pissing on them is the best solution.

But if someone is trying to buy vehicle that is in demand and the supply is short, and do so at an unreasonable discount, then I see no reason to blame the dealer.
    I understand where you're coming from. It's one of the wonderful things about a free-market economy. If you don't like the price, don't buy. If we can't agree on a price, shop somewhere else... but at least be respectful of that. Supply & demand set the price. And "value" of a vehicle is subjective. If the OP is disappointed in the fact that he can't find a vehicle that he values as much as the asking price then maybe he just doesn't place enough value on said vehicle. OP keep looking, be patient, have cash ready to strike when the good deal presents itself and hopefully you'll find the deal you're looking for.

You won't find a good deal at a lot very often because there is nobody more familiar with going market value of vehicles than dealers. Dealers have to make money and a lot of that is by markup on trade-ins. If you can find the guy that is buying a new truck and selling his old one private party you will ideally find a price in the "happy medium" between trade-in value and car-lot asking price. Both parties win in this case and the dealer misses out on his profit...

I know this stuff may seem obvious to some but it is worth mentioning. Most of our (my immediate family) car purchases have come from private party transactions or from wholesale car auctions (family connection). I can count on 1 hand the number of vehicles my immediate family has purchased from a lot in their entire lifetime. One of those came off a lot of a family friend that took it on trade-in but wasn't the type of vehicle he typically kept in his inventory so he was going to take it to the auction anyways. He sold it to my brother at the price he felt he would get at auction. Saved him time, hassle, and auction commission and my brother got the wholesale price.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

They don't like it when they find somebody that doesn't think it's what THEY think it's worth. With hi demand vehicles they'll find some schmuck to pay list price for it.

Many moons ago I was looking for a new 4 dr dually. My manufacturer of choice happened to be the number 1 selling truck on the market at that time. When I found the one for me I asked the salesman what the out the door cash price was, he recited the sticker price. I said that I could read, but I wanted to know the out the door cash price, his response was that they were the number one selling truck in the country so they didn't have to deal.

My response was that I told him I would go talk to number 2 and MAN, THEY (#2) gave me a GREAT deal, drove that truck for 15 years.:rockwoot:

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    They don't like it when they find somebody that doesn't think it's what THEY think it's worth. With hi demand vehicles they'll find some schmuck to pay list price for it.

Many moons ago I was looking for a new 4 dr dually. My manufacturer of choice happened to be the number 1 selling truck on the market at that time. When I found the one for me I asked the salesman what the out the door cash price was, he recited the sticker price. I said that I could read, but I wanted to know the out the door cash price, his response was that they were the number one selling truck in the country so they didn't have to deal.

My response was that I told him I would go talk to number 2 and MAN, THEY (#2) gave me a GREAT deal, drove that truck for 15 years.:rockwoot:
    LOL I hear all that!!!!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    When I traded my Grand AM GT in, they offered me 4-4500 for it, less then 60k miles on a 3.5 year old car and still had life in the extended warranty. They had a one year older GA with double the miles and no warranty for around 11k.

They hated when I brought that up and told them what my number was.
    They ended up paying the Grand Am off.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    My parents rescently got a new car from Andy Mhore. Said they called all the dealers asking for a price on a particular car that they wanted and the lowest number was at Mhore so they went there and negotiated and bought.

Brushscrubber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I found that used truck prices are just ridiculous when we were looking. I couldn't believe the prices they were asking for a truck that was 6 years old with 60-75K on it with no warranty. Hell we went and bought a 2012 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 new with 49 miles on it for only 7000 more than a used truck. And the dealer worked on price that we bought it under sticker by 4500. We actually got lucky and the time was right. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom