• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It looks like TIF revenues will fall well short of paying back all of the economic development loans Carmel took out over the last few years to build the city-center, Palladium, etc. It looks like homeowners will be left footing the bill to close the gap. To the tune of 8 figures.

It could get interesting at the Redevelopment Commission Meeting tonight (July 16).

Worries in Carmel: TIF revenue could fall millions short

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, it looks like the good folks of Carmel ought to brace themselves for a hefty raise on their property taxes.

Maybe it's better NOT to vote for politicians that just wanna :spend: ? :dunno:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'll be interested to hear if any INGOers are there tonight.

I don't live in Carmel but I work there and was considering moving my family there. This seriously makes me reconsider. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    They'll probably find a way to get the money from the state and we'll all end up paying.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Chickens roosting can also be a problem in Carmel:
    Chicken fight in Carmel - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

:)

But, yes, financially we are seeing the consequences of bad management. Mayor Brainard excelled at making his vision a reality. I am afraid he is less skilled in managing the resources necessary to maintain both the city infrastructure and the bright shiny new stuff.

The tax may still not be needed - developers will always be interested in Carmel, and will pay a premium to build there (both residential and commercial). The Mayor has clearly bet that will continue, and grow.

The rest of the stuff - how all the money was spent - is disconcerting.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If the city decides to default on their muni bonds then we'll end up picking up the tab.

They're not there yet, but definitely headed in that direction.

So long as the tax revenue for the city is sufficient to make the bond payments, they'll continue to carry the debt without raising taxes.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Chickens roosting can also be a problem in Carmel:
    Chicken fight in Carmel - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

:)

But, yes, financially we are seeing the consequences of bad management. Mayor Brainard excelled at making his vision a reality. I am afraid he is less skilled in managing the resources necessary to maintain both the city infrastructure and the bright shiny new stuff.

The tax may still not be needed - developers will always be interested in Carmel, and will pay a premium to build there (both residential and commercial). The Mayor has clearly bet that will continue, and grow.

The rest of the stuff - how all the money was spent - is disconcerting.

How much did you waste prosecuting Liberty Sanders?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    How much did you waste prosecuting Liberty Sanders?

None. :) For a variety of reasons not relevant to this thread, that was not a waste.

Besides, even if you think it was, it would amount to a fraction of a percent of the infrastructure costs that need to be paid.

But I understand how easy it is for some internet warriors to get butthurt.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Brainard's "vision" is to turn Carmel into the Palm Springs of the midwest and he doesn't care how much of other people's money he pisses away to accomplish it. The Radio City Music Taj Mahal (the "Palladium") is a perfect example. Carmel needed that as much as I need terminal hemorrhoids and the thing bleeds money. And how about his "action figures" littering downtown Carmel's sidewalks (and blocking them) that he paid nearly a MILLION taxpayer dollars for?

When the bill comes due he'll have retired to Florida and left us with the bill along with all the monuments he built to himself with our money. Not to mention his thuggish police department.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heya LS-

Only 2 things I disagree with you about on this topic:
    1) I'm not sure he'll ever retire. He's stated several times he's going to run again, and I'm not sure he can lose in Carmel.
    2) The comment about the thuggish PD. But, we'll have to agree to disagree on that. :)

An ongoing issue with the news coverage is that I haven't seen an real reporting on how much the City is subsidizing the Palladium. All sorts of things that you would expect a private venue to pay for are being covered by City resources, from landscaping to directing traffic.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    None. :) For a variety of reasons not relevant to this thread, that was not a waste.

Besides, even if you think it was, it would amount to a fraction of a percent of the infrastructure costs that need to be paid.

But I understand how easy it is for some internet warriors to get butthurt.

Were you working pro bono?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Were you working pro bono?
    Not on that case - salaried. So, was going to get paid whether working on that case or something else.

Although, bringing this back around to the OP, looks like special consultants get paid REALLY well!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Not on that case - salaried. So, was going to get paid whether working on that case or something else.

Although, bringing this back around to the OP, looks like special consultants get paid REALLY well!

If Carmel has the manpower to pay attorneys to surf the net for ammo in bogus prosecutions, than the case can easily be made for a manpower reduction.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Never liked braindamage's "vision"; I liked the place the way it was when I moved here 22 years ago, and I've voted against chainsaw brainard every time he's been up. Fortunately, I haven't had to vote for a 'rat in the process; there's always a libertarian or something available. Wish I could punch him in the genitals.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Never liked braindamage's "vision"; I liked the place the way it was when I moved here 22 years ago, and I've voted against chainsaw brainard every time he's been up. Fortunately, I haven't had to vote for a 'rat in the process; there's always a libertarian or something available. Wish I could punch him in the genitals.

Do you have a genital punching fetish?

Top Bottom