• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    I just met with the Carmel Chief of Police for the last step in my LTCH process. I was nervous. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had been waiting since very early February to have my meeting with the Chief.

In the back of my mind this would be an attempt to talk me out of doing this since I had to wait so long. It was NOT. It was a very pleasant and short conversation. I appreciated his attitude and respect for our decision to do this. ( I say our because I was in with the Chief with another applicant at the same time and there were two other people in line behind us this morning). He answered some questions and sent us on our way. Nice guy.

Now I just have to wait for the mail to bring my little pink paper.

Patiently waiting in Carmel.

-1 for the long delay
    +1 for Carmel Chief of Police

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Just curious... how much of the following did the chief do?

(c) The officer to whom the application is made shall ascertain the applicant's name, full address, length of residence in the community, whether the applicant's residence is located within the limits of any city or town, the applicant's occupation, place of business or employment, criminal record, if any, and convictions (minor traffic offenses excepted), age, race, sex, nationality, date of birth, citizenship, height, weight, build, color of hair, color of eyes, scars and marks, whether the applicant has previously held an Indiana license to carry a handgun and, if so, the serial number of the license and year issued, whether the applicant's license has ever been suspended or revoked, and if so, the year and reason for the suspension or revocation, and the applicant's reason for desiring a license. The officer to whom the application is made shall conduct an investigation into the applicant's official records and verify thereby the applicant's character and reputation, and shall in addition verify for accuracy the information contained in the application, and shall forward this information together with the officer's recommendation for approval or disapproval and one (1) set of legible and classifiable fingerprints of the applicant to the superintendent.

If the answer is none of the above... what did he ask you? And if not, who did? And if not, why the meeting?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Whats up with that? Why did you have to have a meeting with him to get your LTCH?

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure

*snip*

The officer to whom the application is made shall conduct an investigation into the applicant's official records and verify thereby the applicant's character and reputation, and shall in addition verify for accuracy the information contained in the application, and shall forward this information together with the officer's recommendation for approval or disapproval and one (1) set of legible and classifiable fingerprints of the applicant to the superintendent.

*snip*

He's using the highlighted loophole to add an extra obstacle in the path of persons desiring to exercise their Rights.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It must be something that Chief Fogarty started. When I received my LTCH in 1996 he wanted to give me my LTCH personally. He said that Indiana is a shall issue state and that he just likes to meet the people that are getting their LTCH. Didn't say anything else, just shook my hand and gave me my LTCH. I didn't think too much about it.

It was pretty tame compared to what I had to do to get just a "Target Shooting" license in Suffolk County New York.

I guess the new Chief is carring on the "tradition".

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    It must be something that Chief Fogarty started. When I received my LTCH in 1996 he wanted to give me my LTCH personally. He said that Indiana is a shall issue state and that he just likes to meet the people that are getting their LTCH. Didn't say anything else, just shook my hand and gave me my LTCH. I didn't think too much about it.

It was pretty tame compared to what I had to do to get just a "Target Shooting" license in Suffolk County New York.

This is exactly how it felt. When I made the appointment, the Clerk I spoke with said the Chief meets with everyone. It did add time to the process but it was very pleasant. The clerk did all the leg work, the Chief didn't really ask any serious questions, just talked and completed the "investigation".

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    IME, a lot of the smaller, local PD's do this as part of their process....and it is my understanding that they can recommend either a denial or approval to the ISP...but haven't heard of that recommendation going anywhere further than just that

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    But we have been taught not to talk to cops.

you should have just said

"Am i being detained, or am I free to go?"

or

"Am I under arrest. or am I free to go?"

**Purple where needed,

*** Pink if you are fabulous

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    and it is my understanding that they can recommend either a denial or approval to the ISP

They can recommend a denial, but if there's nothing in your public record that precludes you from having a license, their denial will be ignored. In fact, the ISP will return the application to the local PD with a request for an explanation. In other words, they can't just deny because they feel like it or because they have a "bad feeling" about you. That's what "shall issue" means.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    In madison county if the sherrif is in the office when you apply he will ask you to see him if he can. I think from what he was asking me it was a vote gathering election thing. He just introduced himself and we had a handshake. That was about it.

It happened to be he was in the office when I applies for the lifetime. He was out of the office when I applied in the 1980's. Maybe the election thing is why Madison county does not do the L1 stuff and it took from July to October to get mine.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Sounds like an awards ceremony. :):

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Man it's nice living out in the "country", county sheriffs office didn't even blink!:rockwoot:

At the Noblesville PD, I never saw anyone other than the clerk. Not even for NFA paperwork. I even fingerprinted myself while she watched and laughed at my ineptness. :):

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Carmel Pd does use the meet the chief, as a way of delaying the process. I have several friends who were told the chief is on vac. So they had to wait for him to return. Funny thing is he must take ALOT of vac time. But just deal with the PROCESS and smile when getting the last step completed.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    The local dog catcher gave me my license, the Chief was busy arresting stray dogs and was too tied up to do it. I really would have liked to meet him though!

LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    Man thats a shame they make you jumpt through hoops like that. I just did a Grant county renewal from a 4 year to a lifetime ---- I went through the L1 process --- filled out my online form at 7:00am -- Electronic fingerprints at 08:00am and had my lifetime in exactly 5 business days...

Top Bottom