• printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I can just see the developer talking to the farmer 50 or so years ago:

"What we're going to do, all those rocks you've been hauling out of the field for decades? We're going to bring them back for landscaping around the fake creeks we'll build; we're going to build outside shopping centers in a place that gets all 4 seasons; we'll have the absolute best versions of every chain store and big box store that every other community has...with much better landscaping; we'll put in roundabouts all over the place so people will think these soybean fields are European; and then we'll charge more than pretty much every other place in Indiana for building lots that range from .13 to a plush .25 acres...and we'll all get rich!!!"

Don't forget they pipe that rarefied air in too.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    While we're on the subject of round-a-bouts, the state has one planned as "future project" for the intersection of SR37 & SR54/48 here in Lawrence County. For those that aren't aware, that is a 4-lane, heavily travelled (including lots of truck traffic), divided state road with a heavily travelled 2-lane State road merging/combining. Speed limit on 37 is 55 in that spot and there is currently a traffic light. While there have been some fatal traffic accidents, the justification offered by the state is baffling. They are estimating a reduction in traffic accidents; taking it from the current 7 accidents per year (statistical average) down to what? They are also estimating a net energy conservation because the traffic doesn't have to stop; I would like to see their numbers, if you're at all familiar with this intersection it's utterly baffling how there could be ANY energy conservation by making all the traffic slow down enough to go through a round-a-bout. Last but not least, it will save an estimated $4800/yr in traffic signal maintenance and electricity usage; so we're going to spend a million plus to save $5k/year? It doesn't take a financial wizard to figure out that there will be NO cost savings, ever.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    While we're on the subject of round-a-bouts, the state has one planned as "future project" for the intersection of SR37 & SR54/48 here in Lawrence County. For those that aren't aware, that is a 4-lane, heavily travelled (including lots of truck traffic), divided state road with a heavily travelled 2-lane State road merging/combining. Speed limit on 37 is 55 in that spot and there is currently a traffic light. While there have been some fatal traffic accidents, the justification offered by the state is baffling. They are estimating a reduction in traffic accidents; taking it from the current 7 accidents per year (statistical average) down to what? They are also estimating a net energy conservation because the traffic doesn't have to stop; I would like to see their numbers, if you're at all familiar with this intersection it's utterly baffling how there could be ANY energy conservation by making all the traffic slow down enough to go through a round-a-bout. Last but not least, it will save an estimated $4800/yr in traffic signal maintenance and electricity usage; so we're going to spend a million plus to save $5k/year? It doesn't take a financial wizard to figure out that there will be NO cost savings, ever.

Any fatalities/accidents ever at that intersection?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have not read this thread at all, but want to go on record as saying "This is why I always outrun the cops when they try to pull me over"
    ETA: in a vehicle. I'm too out of shape to attempt it on foot

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have not read this thread at all, but want to go on record as saying "This is why I always outrun the cops when they try to pull me over"
    ETA: in a vehicle. I'm too out of shape to attempt it on foot

So are they. :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

THIS.

As a motorcyclist, my worst nightmare is someone turning left in front of me.

As for the efficiency, getting 50% of the cars to stop then go consumes a lot more gas than 100% of the cars slowing down to navigate.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It all looks good on paper, perhaps it's good in areas which do not see significant numbers of large vehicles, but when putting them on state highways or streets which carry heavy traffic, I don't want to hear any b*tching when I drag a semi trailer over someone because some stupid MFSB in Indianapolis thinks I should magically evolve the ability to break laws of physics on his whim.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It all looks good on paper, perhaps it's good in areas which do not see significant numbers of large vehicles, but when putting them on state highways or streets which carry heavy traffic, I don't want to hear any b*tching when I drag a semi trailer over someone because some stupid MFSB in Indianapolis thinks I should magically evolve the ability to break laws of physics on his whim.

That's the same mentality that motivates college students to walk in front of oncoming traffic because the rules say they have the right of way.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

I'm going to say yes to fatalities, there are a couple crosses up at the intersection. The state's own statistics show an average of 7 accidents PER YEAR. That is less than once a month. That being said, I don't think a roundabout is the solution to all traffic problems.

Regarding people turning left in front of a motorcycle etc, it's left turn on arrow only and I don't think I've ever seen anybody make a left on red, nor have I ever seen an accident there.

I'm no traffic flow expert but I do have a little common sense. I'm going to guess that installing a round-a-bout will do a number of things: #1 it will increase the number of accidents shearly because of the amount of traffic that will have to flow through a round-a-bout, however it will decrease the severity from "possibly fatal" to "fender bender" status. #2 It will cost the state a significant amount of money. #3 It will not save fuel/energy as they imply.

Top Bottom