• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    My wife and I sold our house and are now living in a small house while starting our new house. The carpet has obviosly had a cat peeing on it before. Any good tricks to get the smell out? We have tried natures miracle spray but it didn't help. Also rented a carpet cleaner

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Remove carpet, pad, backing, and possibly floor and/or subflooring... this may extend to floor joist depending upon how far the urine got.

Or, burn down the house.

Those are the only two reliable methods of dealing with this issue.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Spray with water, cover with baking soda, then use a small brush to work the baking soda into the carpet. Allow to dry, then vacuum. This will help reduce the smell in the carpet, however it may leave a white stain if your vacuum isn't powerful enough to pull the baking soda back out. OutdoorDad is correct that the bigger problem is the layers below the carpet and the only total solution is to remove them, particularly the padding.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Get a dog.
    The dog will saturate the cat urine in no time.
    No more cat smell. :)

Then start a thread about the dog smell....

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you can stay out for a day or two, try renting an ozone generator.
    no people, pets, or plants in the house while the machine is running.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If it is just a small area I would try the vinegar first. If you think it has been saturated you can pull the carpet back, remove and replace the pad and put the carpet back.

If you see the subfloor is stained as well then seal it with killz or bullseye. That would be a lot of cat pee tho. I have also hired a professional carpet cleaner who uses a deodorizer. That has helped with the pet smells as well.

When you pull the carpet back if you notice that the pad has a film of plastic on it then chances are you are fine leaving it. Then clean the area, deodorize it and leave a cup of vinegar there for a day or so.

I put very thin plastic down over the pad before I lay carpet. This adds life to the pad because the spills and such can't get to it and then creep back up to the carpet again. Has saved me plenty of time and money over the years. I even did it at my house.

If you pull it up and need some tools to put it back PM me and I can try to set you up.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I just did a lot of reading on this. 50/50 mix of warm water and white vinegar. Spray or pour it on problem areas. You can find problem areas with a black light. Let it sit. Once it is almost dry, put baking soda down on the area. Let that sit for a while. When it is all dry, vacuum it up. It may take several repetitions of this process but you will definitely notice a difference. If it is ridiculously bad, you will most likely want to strip all the flooring and clean, replace, or seal the subflooring then replace the floor.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I sold our house and are now living in a small house while starting our new house. The carpet has obviosly had a cat peeing on it before. Any good tricks to get the smell out? We have tried natures miracle spray but it didn't help. Also rented a carpet cleaner
    If you're sure it was a cat, get a gallon and then use the whole thing. http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Mirac...id=1447169031&sr=1-6&keywords=natures+miracle It takes a lot to get the job done. Just spraying it won't do it. Saturate everything, carpet, pad, floor, let it dry naturally. Put the pad and carpet back down then cover the area with baking soda for 20 minutes or so before vacuuming it up. It will likely take a month before all the enzymes and baking soda do their job but it worked for us.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    If you're sure it was a cat, get a gallon and then use the whole thing. http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Mirac...id=1447169031&sr=1-6&keywords=natures+miracle It takes a lot to get the job done. Just spraying it won't do it. Saturate everything, carpet, pad, floor, let it dry naturally. Put the pad and carpet back down then cover the area with baking soda for 20 minutes or so before vacuuming it up. It will likely take a month before all the enzymes and baking soda do their job but it worked for us.

I actually did use the whole gallon in a very small area. No luck. I did find a no vacuum carpet foam at the dollar store that has been a miracle worker so far. Makes it smell like some one is doing laundry. But I can handle that

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I actually did use the whole gallon in a very small area. No luck. I did find a no vacuum carpet foam at the dollar store that has been a miracle worker so far. Makes it smell like some one is doing laundry. But I can handle that

ok it's been three days.

I predict that it now smells like a cat pissed in a basket of fresh laundry.

Am I right?

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Burn it down or get used to it. Even when you think it's gone a warm day or a spot hit by the sun brings it back. People that say this or that works have just gotten used to it. If your moving out soon get some good candles and ride it out. You won't get rid of it.
    Replacing the carpet, padding and kilz might get it but in this case doesn't seem an option.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    We use a mixture of Dawn Blue dish soap and vinegar. Do about 1/2 and 1/2. It might take a few cleanings but it works for us and the dog puke.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    Do not use water! The salt in urine is hygroscopic, meaning after it has dried water will reactivate the smell further intensifying it. Best bet is to remove carpet and pad treat with a enzyme, after the enzymes have dried seal the subfloor from both sides ( if possible). Either a alcohol Or oil based stain killer. I'd recommend any of binz products. This process is time consuming, patience is the key! Good luck.

Top Bottom