• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Well, I finally used that pink paper in my wallet, and carried for the first time today. I was at the Noblesville breakfast event, and was packing my S&W .38 revolver. I only have a cheap $7 IWB holster for it that I picked up at the 1500. It worked, but I really need to get something better for it. After breakfast, my wife and I hit Dick's Sporting Goods off of exit 10. No problems carrying in there, in fact while I was shopping I forgot that I even had it on.

Next step: open carry.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    congrats man, and honestly most the time i dont even have a holster, poor man it and its usually b/c i cant open carry where i am, but more formal i use a holster for some stuff.

took me a while to carry one in the pipe though, i ll be honest, was not comfortable at first!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It takes a bit of time, but pretty soon you'll feel naked without it. Congrats on exercising your 2A RKBA!

Like Redneckpastor said...for some of us it takes a while to carry with a round in the chamber, but with a .38 revolver, that is already taken care of.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    It takes a bit of time, but pretty soon you'll feel naked without it. Congrats on exercising your 2A RKBA!

Like Redneckpastor said...for some of us it takes a while to carry with a round in the chamber, but with a .38 revolver, that is already taken care of.

Stole my line, It is hard for me to leave home with out one...

TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    Well, I finally used that pink paper in my wallet, and carried for the first time today. I was packing my S&W .38 revolver. I only have a cheap $7 IWB holster for it...

Congrats. How long have you had your pink paper before carrying? That cheap holster is better than nothing. I tried carrying a snubby without a holster one time and it didn't take long before it did a Plaxico down my thigh. Luckily I was still in the house. Without holsters, semiautos stay on the waistband, revolvers don't, in my experience.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    You didn't specify which .38 you had, but if it's a snubbie you don't have to carry it at the waist. I generally carry my S&W 642 in a Galco Ankle Glove. Not the fastest draw around, but it's never been noticed, is super comfortable, and doesn't have any special dress requirements outside of pants and a sock.

Anyway, congrats on your first time. :yesway:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    There was a good post on ARFCOM from earlier in the month ( I cross posted here ) about a guy who was involved as a victim of an attempted armed robbery. He had his 1911 on his side, with one in the pipe, and was able to return fire and injur the bad guy - and prevented himself and his friends from what could have been a very ugly end.

It took me a while to get confortable carrying with one in the chamber, as I have a 2 year old child in the house. Her safety was my main concern, as I didn't want to somehow create a chance of a negligent accidental discharge.

However, I determined that was much lower risk than any harm that could come to her or my wife if I was in a situation where I needed to use my pistol, and I didn't have it ready.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Well done!

Let me know how you plan to carry that new Ruger .44 mag. In a holster or as a decorative walking stick? :):

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    congrats. i carry all the time but not with one in the pipe.

What's faster, think about it before you answer.

Bad guy pulling a gun on you and him just having to pull the trigger, or your reaction to him then you pulling out your glock and having to rack the slide.

Notice that I did not include you pulling the trigger, that's because you're laying on the ground with a round in you.

Carrying a handgun without a round in the chamber is the same as using it as a club, because that is exactly what it is until it is ready to fire, and the time it takes you to rack the slide he can pump at least 2 rounds in you.

That in my opinion is a epic fail to carry like this.

SO if you carry that Glock around and not have a chambered round because you are not comfortable with it's TAS system, get another gun with a real safety.

Glock17 Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    N. Manchester
    I like to draw and rack the action all in one quick motion and I know someone will say what if you don't have time to rack the action but i have carried a knife all my life so if someone is to close to pull a gun on I feel just as comfortable defending myself with a knife as a gun.

Top Bottom