carried today for the first time most unnerving thing ive ever done.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    so i got my lifetime a week or so ago i finely got the nerve to carry outside while i only went to hardees and rual king i felt like i being starred at the whole time. my cousin said no one noticed me even though i had a 686 in a cheap holster on the outside of my belt, but i felt nervous as all get out at first but after a hour of of walking around rual king i felt a little better. but i did learn some stuff today rubber grips grab t shirts and people are oblivious ill i had was a t shirt and a light jacket on and no one looked at me im sure cause i was watching everybody else trying to not look nervous. im sure this feeling will go away but now i know what everybody was talking about now.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I can understand where you are coming from. With all the anti-gun in the press these days it can make you a bit self conscious at first. I would recommend that you start carrying at home all the time. Get used to it being there, get used to the weight. It's a big deal if you have never carried before and you have to become comfortable with it. Kinda of like when you first started driving. Just learn to relax with it being on your side.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    It will fade, and quickly. Biggest issue, stop caring if anyone sees and have a few prepared statements ready if anyone were to say anything! "I carry because throwing bullets doesn't seem to work as well!" Try to make sure your statements are more ice breaking then defensive. It's worked well for me.

Just keep carrying! It will become second nature and eventually it'll feel like a watch, you'll feel naked without it!

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I remember that day I first carried. I was as concerned as you but it did wear off after a couple of days. Congrats on exercising your right not to be a victim. If you haven't yet, take some training, it helps build your confidence and might just keep you from making a mistake.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    It will fade, and quickly. Biggest issue, stop caring if anyone sees and have a few prepared statements ready if anyone were to say anything! "I carry because throwing bullets doesn't seem to work as well!" Try to make sure your statements are more ice breaking then defensive. It's worked well for me.

Just keep carrying! It will become second nature and eventually it'll feel like a watch, you'll feel naked without it!
    i was worried about people saying anything, there a lot of very um "odd" people around newcastle, i was worried they call the police i have to take up there time and mine. just last year i was carrying a ak i bought up the driveway toward my house on my way inside and some lady driving by called the cops they were nice when they showed but he said some lady called irate about there's some guy with a machine gun by the road the cop personally thought it was kinda funny and we both went about our day but thats the kinda of ignorance i have to put up with around here.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Did you feel "Kind of Dirty"?? HA..

"i had a 686 in a cheap holster on the outside of my belt"
    ^^^You REALLY need to change this part.

Buy yourself a GOOD leather or Kydex holster for your method of carry. OC or CC matters not, just be sure to invest in a quality rig..It is true--You get what you pay for..Bill.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county

Buy yourself a GOOD leather or Kydex holster for your method of carry. OC or CC matters not, just be sure to invest in a quality rig..It is true--You get what you pay for..Bill.
    its not what i like honestly i like in the waistband, but the only one that would fit the 686 my good holster is only for my hi power. i could tell it was cheap if i didnt have a gun belt the gun would of probably been on the floor. but since the 686 is rather large i might have to go outside the waistband.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    You'll get used to it.

I started carrying in October, it was already getting cold then, so it wasn't as nervracking for me. I had a big winter coat on that made concealing even a large gun very easy. Well, I have a new, smaller carry piece and new holster now. Today was warm, so I left in a button up dress shirt without the big bulky coat and it was a bit nervracking at first. After Lowes, Wal-Mart, resturaunt, gas station, etc I realized no one can see or notice a damn thing.

Just keep on carrying, you'll certainly get used to it. Only issues you may have is bending over to pick something up off the ground or reaching up high to get something off the top shelf. Worst case scenario someone sees your gun. Not like that is illegal or anything... just blow them a kiss and you'll be fine. ;)

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    First off...Congrats for taking the plunge! Second, I echo what the others have said. After a while you won't give it a second thought. Just like putting on the holster for your cell phone, throwing you pocket knife in your pocket, etc. It's just something you do. I OC quite a bit of the time and print like a fiend when I CC. I REALLY don't care if someone knows I'm carrying or not now.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Congrats for exercising your 2nd Amendment right. I was a bit nervous the first few times I carried as well, but that was several years ago. Now it's just second nature and I feel naked without one.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you're starting with a S&W 686 you've on the right track. Let me know if you ever want to trade it for a Colt Detective Special and a cheap nylon holster.

Seriously, get a good rig and carry on.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, get a good belt and a good holster, and work on some training.

Pretty soon you will be more concerned when you don't have it with you for some reason.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Wait for the feeling you get after you are comfortable carrying and for what ever reason you are NOT armed !

Compare the two and get back with us .

Also, you get a big old Ata Boy !

Now start looking for like minded friends and family to join you in your appreciation of fine arms .

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    so i got my lifetime a week or so ago i finely got the nerve to carry outside while i only went to hardees and rual king i felt like i being starred at the whole time. my cousin said no one noticed me even though i had a 686 in a cheap holster on the outside of my belt, but i felt nervous as all get out at first but after a hour of of walking around rual king i felt a little better. but i did learn some stuff today rubber grips grab t shirts and people are oblivious ill i had was a t shirt and a light jacket on and no one looked at me im sure cause i was watching everybody else trying to not look nervous. im sure this feeling will go away but now i know what everybody was talking about now.

Congratulations!

Like others have said, we've all been there but you get used to it.

Welcome to the club.

Top Bottom