• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It's pretty darn easy. Don't over think it.

Get yourself a NICE lockable case that can't be pryed open while locked.

Put unloaded gun in the case. Ammo can be in the same case but must be in a box that keeps the rounds from touching each other. I had my rounds in a MTM case since they were reloads.

If it is Hangun you can put it in your checked suite case after you declare to a ticket agent at check in.

Go to the ticketing counter and tell them you want to check in a firearm. They will have you open the case. They won't even touch it. They give you a card to put inside stating it's unloaded. Then you lock it up, give them the gun case if it's a long gun or put in your suite case and wait until they run it trough the scanner.

If all is good you pick you firearm up at your destination. Mine was put right on the baggage claim carousel for all the world to grab if they beat me there so don't linger around once you get off the plane. Get to baggage claim asap

The delta agent gave me crap about my locks not being TSA approved. I told him they didn't have to be. He said that's true but you have to wait 10-15 minutes for them to scan it before leaving the ticketing area before heading to security.

Just allow extra time when you get there in case you get a noob that doesn't know what to do.

My trip was a year ago so check the links already provided in case of changes.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Perfectly fine in CHECKED baggage as long as you claim it at check in. Check your airline's website. Also, while rare, if you get to a half way point such as New York, New Jersey, California, or Illinois (to name a few) and your connecting flight gets cancelled DO NOT CLAIM YOUR BAGGAGE if you are stuck there! You may then be in possession of a firearm unlawfully, and BS arrests have been made in these states for such.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Like Kirk Freeman said, read the link to the TSA rules he gave you AND read the rules for the airline you are going to fly -- they can be more restrictive than the TSA rules. For example, TSA says it's ok to pack the ammo in the same locked box as the gun as long as it is in a container that secures the rounds, but some airlines require the ammo to be separate from the box the gun is in.

Arrive early and be flexible. TSA and the airlines will tell you the procedure is the same across the US, but it's not. They may have the same policies, but the procedures, the way they implement them, vary from airport to airport. Some of the variances are minor, some are a pain in the kiester (like when I have to follow my bag all the way across the airport to a TSA inspection point, then follow it all the way back to the check-in where it's put on the luggage conveyer. grr.)

Minor stuff includes that card you will have to sign -- sometimes they agent wants to put it inside the box, sometimes not. I have a handgun case that has half-dozen of those cards taped one-on-top-of-the-other on the outside, which is OK by me since the case is inside a regular piece of luggage. I just flew to Pennsylvania and back for Christmas, and nobody wanted to look inside the locked gun case at all -- never opened it.

I did get an apparently inexperienced TSA inspector in San Antonio who just had to look into everything other than the locked gun case (grrr), and when he came across the ammo he had to call his supervisor to come tell him whether loaded magazines inserted into magazine carriers was legal (it is, and he should know that. Note that current wording requires them to be in a hard-sided case or a box also). That burned up more time waiting for the supervisor to show up. (grrr).

The warning about being careful if your flight is diverted to one of the unfree states, like NY or NJ, is no joke. FOPA is supposed to protect you on 'your journey' until you reach your destination, but the federal antigun judges appointed in those jurisdictions have ruled that if you are dumped in La Guardia or JFK or wherever because of flight problems no fault of your own, you are no longer on your journey even if you haven't reached your destination yet, even if the airline is putting you up in hotel and intends to get you one a flight the next day. If you pick up your bags and then try to check in the next morning and announce you are checking a firearm, the agent will call the cops and if you don't have a NY or NYC or NJ license for the firearm, you will be in trouble. If you can get the airline to keep your bag, great. If you have to pick it up, I'm thinking find another way to get that firearm out of state inconspicuously.

Trump and the new Congress have many things to fix, but I hope the TSA and the FOPA can be worked into the line-up...

Don't let all this discourage you though. We are talking exceptions and outliers here. My wife and I have flown with handguns many times, and it is usually no big deal, just be prepared time-wise for the outliers, read the rules closely, and stick to them. Exercise your rights vigorously, protect yourself, have fun on your trip.

Bon voyage.

Top Bottom