• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    so i got this hi power that i wouldn't part with for the world, i love it but i dont want to carry it cause i herd if you ever have to use it you never see it again, is that true?:dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Never" is a long time, but it can be lengthy depending on the circumstances. If used in a shooting, it will be held long enough for the investigation and any resulting criminal and civil trials to be completed.

It could be "never" if you were to be found guilty of a crime, the court can order the gun destroyed.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    so i got this hi power that i wouldn't part with for the world, i love it but i dont want to carry it cause i herd if you ever have to use it you never see it again, is that true?:dunno:

I'm not sure about the "never" part but you will likely be without it for some time and may need to go to court to get it back.

If it's sentimental like a gun your Dad gave you, then you might want to get a dedicated EDC gun that doesn't have any such significance.

Of course there is that whole "carry what you shoot best" idea. You don't want to be handicapped by a 2nd rate gun just because you don't want to have to be without it if you need it. Dead men don't need guns!

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I'm not sure about the "never" part but you will likely be without it for some time and may need to go to court to get it back.

If it's sentimental like a gun your Dad gave you, then you might want to get a dedicated EDC gun that doesn't have any such significance.

Of course there is that whole "carry what you shoot best" idea. You don't want to be handicapped by a 2nd rate gun just because you don't want to have to be without it if you need it. Dead men don't need guns!
    that's true my dad had a heart attack last night, while he OK, it got me thinking about it i dont want to lose that hi power its important. thanks fellas:yesway: i do believe a 1911 might find it way home with me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Never" is a long time, but it can be lengthy depending on the circumstances. If used in a shooting, it will be held long enough for the investigation and any resulting criminal and civil trials to be completed.

It could be "never" if you were to be found guilty of a crime, the court can order the gun destroyed.

As to criminal, true if you are talking about the OP, as the shooter, going to trial. This would not apply if the guy you shoot is the only one facing charges. If criminal charges are not brought against the shooter, he should have it back pretty quick.

Also, the police could not care less about preserving evidence for a civil trial.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would not carry a rare or valuable firearm. Whatever I carry HAS to be extremely reliable, and has to be something I can naturally shoot well without much thinking about operation. If you are really a High Power fan and are confident about your skills with one, I would consider a second one for carry use. I had a High power clone that was very dependable, even if it lacked the beautiful deep blue and the fit of the real deal. .

Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    I have a nickle colt series 70 from my grandpa. I very very rarely carry it, hell I don't even wanna holster it, it's too darn pretty!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Jump on gunbroker. For $339 you can have another one just like the one you have. Last time I checked, he still had 3.:D

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As to criminal, true if you are talking about the OP, as the shooter, going to trial. This would not apply if the guy you shoot is the only one facing charges. If criminal charges are not brought against the shooter, he should have it back pretty quick.

Also, the police could not care less about preserving evidence for a civil trial.

That's why I said "depending on circumstances" and "any resulting trial". You may get it back fairly quickly, you may not see it for years. There is no blanket answer, so don't carry something you aren't willing to let sit in an evidence room for months or years since you don't really know what those circumstances are going to be up front.

You are right the police don't care about preserving evidence for a civil trial, but we do tend to care about court orders and if there is a request through the court for the gun to be held pending civil litigation, the OP still isn't getting it back regardless of who's safeguarding it for trial.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple of guns that I truly love and I would not carry them. When I shoot them, it's because I want to take my time and enjoy them. They don't get shot as much as my carry guns, but I do really like shooting them when they are out of the safe.

My carry guns have largely become Glocks. I like shooting them, but if one where lost to me, I'd be out $500 and that is it. I can replace any of my Glocks and not notice the difference. My 1911s and CZs are quite a bit different to me. It would hurt to lose any of those for any length of time and the thought of one of them getting cut up instead of handed down to my sons would really hurt. God gave us Glocks so we don't wear our 1911s out or lose them to the government.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I am banging around in my service truck I am not carrying any of my nice 1911's. I have a Taurus 24/7 Tactical for this duty. It feels similar to a 1911 except the trigger sucks. Runs like mad if you need it and if I did need it, and it ended up in an evidence locker no worries.....keep it.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    If it is an inherited piece or extremely collectible I'd consider carrying something else. I try not to be abusive but all the guns I've ever carried show signs of wear from being carried.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I agree with others who have said buy another Hi-Power. If you like it and you shoot that platform well, stick with it. Otherwise you have a new learning curve to overcome with a different platform. And you will loose your efficiency with the Hi-Power.

Now...with all that said...this would provide you a good excuse to get something else. I mean...you have to do something...don't ya? :D ;)

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I agree with others who have said buy another Hi-Power. If you like it and you shoot that platform well, stick with it. Otherwise you have a new learning curve to overcome with a different platform. And you will loose your efficiency with the Hi-Power.

Now...with all that said...this would provide you a good excuse to get something else. I mean...you have to do something...don't ya? :D ;)
    your impling i have to justify to myself that i need another pistol, when it more like convincing myself why i don't need so dont buy every one i see.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    your impling i have to justify to myself that i need another pistol, when it more like convincing myself why i don't need so dont buy every one i see.
    You are kinda in the same place I'm in. But I'm one of those guys that thinks he has to have two of all the guns he really likes. Hence 2 870s, 2 Super Blackhawk 44 mags, 2 lever action 44 mags, 2 4" .357s 2 snubnose revolvers and of course 2 Hi-Powers. Some stuff I have 3 of, but caliber or make very. I think in this case, as much as you like your Hi-Power, you really need to buy another. I have a CM9 coming and I'm afraid it might be really difficult to stop at just one.:laugh:

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but clarify please:

You are very concerned about replacing an inexpensive pistol in the case you have to use it to protect your life?

Really? Seems like a small price you MAY have to pay for your life. Plus, the odds are probably good that you will never have to do that.

Top Bottom