• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glocktoys

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    mishawaka, up north
    if the gun has a sentimental value, lock it up. get another (same gun if youy like) and carry that. depending on where the problem arises and what happens you may get it back but after alot of jumping through hooops and lawyers paperwork (depends on department you are dealing with as some love to keep the guns if used for any reason). if you are going to carry it get one you dont have a sentimental attachment to (oops the gun got scratched getting out of the car, oops i must have gotten some sweat on it and it rusted a bit or whatever). i have a few i have sentimental attachments to and they come out only for range and cleaning, i have plenty of tools for defense that are worth the loss to save my life or one of my family.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I say don't carry anything you are incredibly attached to for several reasons... theft, loss, and the possibility of confiscation whether due to using it or some other unforeseen issue. Not saying carry a POS... get something nice and reliable. Just don't walk around with grandpas GI 1911 or the handgun your dad gave you as your first etc etc.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My safety is worth more to me then any gun. I don't carry a gun that I would worry about missing. There are some(like my DE50 or one of my 44's ) that aren't practical. Way over kill. The Hi point is inexpencive enough to loose for a while. It's a great excuse to buy a second gun. Or 10 or 12 :D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It's important to me to carry a gun that works everytime.

That's the only thing that matters.

Also, I have a backup to my primary gun. That way IF it is taken away, I have a gun that I can still carry.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If it has sentimental value, don't carry it. Things happen to EDC guns, a couple days ago, I was swapping holsters or cleaning or something and I noticed gouges on one side. No idea how that happened. If you like how the gun shoots, operates...etc, then get a duplicate.:twocents:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    that's true my dad had a heart attack last night, while he OK, it got me thinking about it i dont want to lose that hi power its important. thanks fellas:yesway: i do believe a 1911 might find it way home with me.

Glad your dad is doing ok, prayers sent for a full recovery. As for me, if my Dad had handed down to me a Browning Hi-Power (or any other gun) there is no way I would carry it, I would keep it and perserve it for my children (I would shoot it, just not EDC it). My Dad passed away over 7 years ago and his hand tools and tool box were passed down to me (he worked with his hands everyday and used those tools everyday) and I will cherish those for the rest of my life. I use them everytime I can but I don't lend them out or take them anywhere just to make sure I don't lose them.

By the way, I have to say you and your fahter have great taste in firearms, a Browning Hi-Power and you looking at getting a 1911, just don't get any better!!

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    There are 2 ends of the spectrum as far as sentimental value goes. Do you want to never use it and do everything you can to preserve it as is? Or get as much use and spend as much time enjoying it as you can. It's possible, though unlikely you could loose it if you carry it, or you might be able to hand it down to your kid someday and tell them you carried there Grandfathers pistol every day. Or maybe that it save your life.

Top Bottom