• ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    10 YEARS???

I run through the top two rounds (the one in the chamber and the one on the mag) every month or so then add new ones to the bottom of the magazine.

Moisture and oil can contaminate the powder causing incomplete ignition. It's not just theory for me, I've had it happen. Luckily I was shooting a varmint with my BUG and not relying on it for self defense since the second round went pfft and lodged the bullet in the barrel. This was in a gun I hadn't changed ammo in six months but carried daily.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP, if you've not shot any, how do you know that it functions in your weapon?

Probably wouldn't be a good situation for you to need your weapon for self defense only to find that your chosen ammo doesn't feed / cycle well in your gun...

-J-

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Yeah, that's what i thought... Oops. I run through a few hundred rounds of target each month. I think I need to amend the initial post, after purchasing said self defense rounds (Federal Hydra Shock), I fired off five. I really meant that I had not used any since. Sorry, poor posting on my part. I'll run out and get some tonight. Thanks for the responses.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Rep to all for the advice. Feeling a bit irritated with myself right now. But, education is a great part of this forum, thanks. No excuse though, I should have known this already.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Rep to all for the advice. Feeling a bit irritated with myself right now. But, education is a great part of this forum, thanks. No excuse though, I should have known this already.

Don't sweat it man, the only way to learn sometimes is to ask.

I wish something like this had been around when I'd first been learning guns, it would have saved a lot of bad learning/habits.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I usually cycle my ammo about every 8 to 12 weeks. The last gun I did this on was my Sig P238 about two weeks ago. In that case, I did not wipe it down for a couple of days and fired it in the exact same condition it would be in right out of my pocket, with lint covering the firing pin and around the trigger. It functioned perfectly. Not only did I exercise the old ammo to be replaced by fresh, but I also gained even more confidence in this little pistol. About the longest I'll carry ammo is 6 months. In the summer, with sweat and all, I'll rarely go more than 2.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Old but trainable.

I run through the top two rounds (the one in the chamber and the one on the mag) every month or so then add new ones to the bottom of the magazine. (Quote from Shibumiseeker)

I have been firing off the whole magazine every six months (Gold Dot 180gr JHP) and refilling with fresh. I like this system better. Reps to ya! :D

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Just a quick note. Went to the 1500 today and bought replacement SD ammo for all the 1911's. Gonna burn up the old stuff on Monday. I'll update on whether or not my 10 yr. self defense ammo fired.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just a quick note. Went to the 1500 today and bought replacement SD ammo for all the 1911's. Gonna burn up the old stuff on Monday. I'll update on whether or not my 10 yr. self defense ammo fired.

It probably will, but hey, even a 1 in 10 chance it won't is too much for SD ammo!

Just don't rapid fire the old stuff in case you have a misfire.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    OP, if you've not shot any, how do you know that it functions in your weapon?

Probably wouldn't be a good situation for you to need your weapon for self defense only to find that your chosen ammo doesn't feed / cycle well in your gun...

-J-

good point, i actually often will shoot a few of the rounds i carry, just to remember how they feel and to cycle my ammo.
    10 years? my goodness, just turn that ammo in

Top Bottom