• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Take the word of experts who have seen real life results.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?99-Self-Defense-and-Duty-Loads-ballistics-info-by-DocGKR

DocGKR is such an expert. BBI will probably stop in too.

giphy.webp

What I'm issued. Failing an issued round, something from DocGKR's list that my gun likes. I have a strong preference for heavy-for-caliber cartridges as well.

My current carry ammo is the 147gr HST for 9mm for the Glock and Shield, 130gr .38+P PDX-1 for the LCR.

.45 is either HST or PDX-1. Critical Duty didn't do well in my P245 for some reason. I also still have quite a bit of Gold Dot 158gr for .357. Kind of a hand full in the LCR, though, and I haven't had the GP100s out for awhile.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    OK so I am wondering about carry ammo? What drives your selection and use? Does marketing play a role in which ammo you test drive for your Edc?

I listen to people who know what they are talking about as they viewed the results. I've never shot anyone and I pray I never have to so I listen to others.

I use Federal HSTs in my carry guns. YMMV.

Everything I have shot has involved rifles or shotguns (animals), although I did kill a dog with a .38 as a kid (he came after a newborn in the foaling barn), ancient Remington soft points (158 grain projectile).

My brother has shot a few animals in self-defense with a pistol. He uses Black Hills.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    OK so I am wondering about carry ammo? What drives your selection and use? Does marketing play a role in which ammo you test drive for your Edc? I was watching some you tube videos, from one of my favorite's channel. Not sure when the video was done but he was testing one of the major brands which offer range and self defense ammo which is supposed to be like using the same round. Surprisingly the round was under performing in velocity,and expansion.

Sig Sauer ammo and Hornady critical duty was also tested which appeared to do quite well. Additionally Remington green and white box jhp were also tested and performed on par with the Sig and Hornady, which really surprised me.

I use CCI SPEER gold dots... That's it... Not just because of LEOs, but its a combination thereof... After seeing how the bonded JHPs perform with my own eyes and taking them out of ballistics gelatin, seeing test after test, shooting through windows, through barriers, nothing else would hold up the way Speer did... Also for the legal debate of you having some crazy exotic "RIP" ammo, legal defense could make your life a living hell making you look like dirty Harry, I have seen that in trials.... Not so good, so if you carry what the police carry, there you go, lukewarm debate in court... All of my EDCs carry CCI SPEER, whatever +P or standard loads depending on the caliber, for my peace of mind knowing the performance I have firsthand experience of and the legal debate if I ever get into a self defense situation again... 2 fold for me.... IMHO, from my experience...

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I read online reviews. Lately all I've been using is federal hst 124 grain +P. Also have a few mags loaded with Barnes too.

Then I typically shoot about 2 mags worth through each gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom