• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drako

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Lawrence
    I'm sure it's probably similar to the responses on the zoo thread (in the carry issues area)

This might be helpful

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

It's probably against some sort of policy in addition.

(I quite literally copied and pasted this....i'm honestly not that smart about this stuff...yet ;-))

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    is this allowed? or has anyone carried concealed at the musuem?

Against their rules, I've carried there anyways, haven't been since they put in the preschool, I haven't seen a definitive answer as to whether the preschool there is a school according to IN law:dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I haven't seen a definitive answer as to whether the preschool there is a school according to IN law:dunno:

I'd like to see this too.

The being safe mindset doesn't easily flip on or off like a toggle switch.

Hypothetically speaking;
    I can see where some folks wouldn't mind "bumping up against" obviously frivolous "no gun" zones such as post offices and local ordinance areas such as parks. Very solid arguments can be made (and maybe need to be made,) as to why one should not have to ungun in these areas.

That said, ANY kind of exposure or tell resulting in a MWG call in a legit school is a battle that likely could not be won with today's laws.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    id love to see someone arrested for this and then fight it in court on constitutional grounds. I have said ALWAYS that the safety of my family ALWAYS comes before unjust laws. I try to avoid places that prohibit it by law, but sometimes its unavoidable and I will not be a victim.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had a confrotation with a guy one time in the parking garage at the Museum, I had a .22 in my pocket... I kept it there the entire visit to the museum! Just in case..would do so again if needed, this was about 2 years ago. Does the preschool thing count on weekends?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    As far as I am concerned there should be no restrictions on where you can carry in this state or any other except in the case of private property (owner's choice). :rockwoot:
    But in this case the museum has done exactly that! Before they started the pre-school they had signs that said no firearms. So in essence since the museum is private property they were already anti-gun. Remove all the current gun laws (as per your statement) and what you have is the same issue.

You go to the museum and they are not Pro-gun so you are going to get asked to leave. Granted their won't be able "legal/illegal" issue but with or without the current laws that museum is ANTi-GUN period!

id love to see someone arrested for this and then fight it in court on constitutional grounds. I have said ALWAYS that the safety of my family ALWAYS comes before unjust laws. I try to avoid places that prohibit it by law, but sometimes its unavoidable and I will not be a victim.

Well then how about you stop typing about it and go for it. :rolleyes: Get arrested at the museum and let us know how it goes for you in court.

I had a confrotation with a guy one time in the parking garage at the Museum, I had a .22 in my pocket... I kept it there the entire visit to the museum! Just in case..would do so again if needed, this was about 2 years ago. Does the preschool thing count on weekends?

In Indiana once a school always a school even if the school is NOT in session. The only time it (the bldg) stops being a school is when it's no longer functioning like a school. For example, in Hammond, IN on Kennedy their is a "little red school house" which was a school way way back 100+ years ago (i think). It's now a museum. So while the physcially bldg is a school its NO longer a school per IC.

Another good example is in Griffith one of the elementary schools was closed last year. The YMCA has taken over the bldg. The bbldg looks like a school but it no longer is per IC so guns are OK in there as well (lEGAL wise).

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    There are security cameras everywhere in the Children's Museum. Hundreds. They've *never* lost a child. Very secure.

So, even if you can't carry there, I would think it's about as secure as you're going to get if you're worried about someone kidnapping your child.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There are security cameras everywhere in the Children's Museum. Hundreds. They've *never* lost a child. Very secure.

So, even if you can't carry there, I would think it's about as secure as you're going to get if you're worried about someone kidnapping your child.

It's NOT about losing your child. It's about being able to defend yourself and your family. Case in point say on Monday you go with your family to the museum and while there a mom and her son are there as well.

As you enter the museum you notice that a single man walks into the bldg as well. He pulls out a gun and beings to blast away. WHY!!!!

1) could be the dad of the kis you just saw who is going thru a divorice and is pissed at the mom
    2) could be a former exmployee that was fired
    3) could be just joe who has decided since he has cancer and way too many medical bills he is going to die in a hail of bullets
    4) could be <<make up your own answer>>

bad things can happen anywhere. Is it not best to be prepared?

Why you do have a smoke alarm in your house? Do you expect to have a fire one day? Nope none of us ever do but it's prudent to have the alarm just in case right?

Why does the amtrak and the CTA bus have those red metal bars in the "emergency box" after all you can take it out and kill someone with it by hitting them on the head with it! But they are there to break the glass in case that bus/train tip over in an accident. Again it's a WEAPON but no one ever expects to you it.

Same with your handgun. You carry it and hope/pray that you never need to use it. But if the situation arises you have it.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm giving you some facts, that's all. Not saying if it were my private Children's museum my policy would be the same as theirs.

As it is it is somebody else's who doesn't want people carrying guns there.

I personally think it is foolish to do so, given the small upside to carrying and the tremendous downside if you're caught carrying in a school zone.

Top Bottom