• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Jun 10, 2011
    I travel through Illinois alot. I understand that black powder revolvers are not legally considered "firearms" but some class of property labeled an antique or collectible or some such. You can order them through the mail.

So would it be legal to possess one in Illinois? I would feel pretty well armed with a black powder .44. If it was good enough for Jesse James I guess a man could use it to defend his life and property fairly effectively. IF it was permitted by law, of course.

spec4

Master
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    IIRC the peoples republik of Illinois considers them the same as a modern firearm. Notice on many ads for black powder guns they say no shipping to Illinois.

04FXSTS

Master
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Illinois does consider them to be firearms. Here in the "Peoples Republic" .22 caliber pellet guns are considered firearms if they shoot over 700fps. No purple text, it is real. You can't make this stuff up. Jim.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Under the new Illinois gun laws, I believe you can have a gun in your car and drive through the state.
    You can't get out of the car with the gun on your person, but you can have it in the car.

Correct?

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indyglockman, you are correct. If you have a valid Indiana LTCH, you can have it in the vehicle or on your person in the vehicle and you are legal. Lock it in the vehicle, out of sight when you get out.
    Haven't had a problem in twenty five years of doing this.

blue2golf

Expert
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Indyglockman, you are correct. If you have a valid Indiana LTCH, you can have it in the vehicle or on your person in the vehicle and you are legal. Lock it in the vehicle, out of sight when you get out.
    Haven't had a problem in twenty five years of doing this.

Whoa. Are you sure? I know you can "transport" it in your vehicle, but it must be in a locked case separate from the ammo. That's what I've always done.

I didn't think Illinois reciprocated any out of state handgun permit.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Whoa. Are you sure? I know you can "transport" it in your vehicle, but it must be in a locked case separate from the ammo. That's what I've always done.

I didn't think Illinois reciprocated any out of state handgun permit.

Technically, Illinois still does not reciprocate--at all. However, here is a snippet of their current law regarding transport by non-residents:

Section 40
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
    Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the
    vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

So, technically, you CAN transport/drive while carrying so long as you have your LTCH on you. Just be careful about where you go (they have an absurdly long list of prohibited places, and signs DO carry the weight of law over there) and make sure you don't keep it on your person once you leave the vehicle "unattended"...

Grizhicks

Expert
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I travel through Illinois alot. I understand that black powder revolvers are not legally considered "firearms" but some class of property labeled an antique or collectible or some such. You can order them through the mail.

So would it be legal to possess one in Illinois? I would feel pretty well armed with a black powder .44. If it was good enough for Jesse James I guess a man could use it to defend his life and property fairly effectively. IF it was permitted by law, of course.

Why would you trust your life to something with a 3%-5% failure rate? If everone has that rate (ie. Jesse James), then maybe okay; but a modern firearm with almost 0% failure is for me.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Jun 10, 2011
    Well... because you can't carry a modern firearm in Illinoise. And the odds of having a failure on all six cylinders would have to be miniscule. And even a 3-5% failure rate would be less chancy than shouting angry words and clawing eyesockets. To my shame I have no hand-to-hand self-defense training.

Nevertheless, it seems like my idea is of no avail.

blue2golf

Expert
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Technically, Illinois still does not reciprocate--at all. However, here is a snippet of their current law regarding transport by non-residents:

Section 40
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
    Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the
    vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

So, technically, you CAN transport/drive while carrying so long as you have your LTCH on you. Just be careful about where you go (they have an absurdly long list of prohibited places, and signs DO carry the weight of law over there) and make sure you don't keep it on your person once you leave the vehicle "unattended"...

Quite interesting. I had no idea!

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Under the new Illinois gun laws, I believe you can have a gun in your car and drive through the state.
    You can't get out of the car with the gun on your person, but you can have it in the car.

Correct?

Correct if you have a valid resident permit from a state other than IL.

If you have a valid IL permit or a non-res permit from IL then you can, of course, carry in other ways (along with a ton of ridiculous exceptions).

Top Bottom