• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    So this has been on my mind for a while and I have been debating whether to bring it up or how to. I am normally in flip flops and if it was do-able I would go barefoot 24/7 365. I just hate shoes. However I find it an interesting mental debate in regards to carrying. I have been called a "survivalist" "always prepared" etc. and this is true. How prepared though am I in flip flops? I have bad ankles (from being barefoot all the time) and I cant really run in sandals, or duck, dodge and scramble very well. And, if and when the SHTF I might need to do these things. So recently I have wondered if anyone else has taken footwear into account when carrying and what your view points on it are. I'm rethinking my footwear section in my closest at the moment... how about you?

Thanks,
    K

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Im the complete opposite than you, i never wear flip-flops. If you want to wear tennis shoes, the best and most comfortable ones i have ever had are Nike Shox(or whatever they are called)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Im the complete opposite than you, i never wear flip-flops. If you want to wear tennis shoes, the best and most comfortable ones i have ever had are Nike Shox(or whatever they are called)

I never pay more than $20 for tennis shoes. Cheap Walmart ones last just as long as Nike and cost a quarter as much.

My footwear choice is based on how easily I can execute a front snap kick.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Probably the best thing you can do for the least amount of money is to get some laceable hiking boots to keep on hand. I'm sure you could get a pair at Target or Walmart *shudders* to keep in your house/car. While running around, especially on softer ground, the support will keep you from twisting and spraining ankles.

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Might I offer a suggestion in the middle between Flip Flops, and honest Hiking boots? I have a pair of Keen sandals. They have a robust sole (good for walking on rocks and such), a Solid rubber toe cap (good for avoiding stubbed toes), and are pretty open (for that bare feet feel)

41ZLFLU%2BqkL._AA280_.jpg

I have a cheap pair of Hi-Tec hiking boots, a good pair of RedWing work boots with steel toes, and a few average types of athletic shoes. I am a firm believer in proper footware for any given task. Hiking at Red River Gorge in steel toed work boots isn't comfortable.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I prefer throwing shoes lest I run out ammo.

Seriously though, like SilentWarrior1 suggested, a pair of hiking shoes should serve you well. You could go with mid-hikers or light ones. Either way, look for something that is somewhat multi-season. I really like Merrell.

Would you care to explain how being barefoot "messes up" your ankles?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Would you care to explain how being barefoot "messes up" your ankles?

I have flat feet. If I walk any distance without arch supports, my ankles start to pop.

I wear sandals occasionally, but I hate having to put sunscreen on my feet. :):

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    +1 for Lars' suggestion on Keens. He wears them a LOT. They were originally designed for kayakers, who occasionally have to kick rocks when trudging through water. They're breathable (obviously) and flexible, but have great support and a solid toe so you don't hurt it if you stumble over something. I'd have some myself if I didn't need higher heels for work. :)

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    +1 for Lars' suggestion on Keens. He wears them a LOT. They were originally designed for kayakers, who occasionally have to kick rocks when trudging through water. They're breathable (obviously) and flexible, but have great support and a solid toe so you don't hurt it if you stumble over something. I'd have some myself if I didn't need higher heels for work. :)

Wish I would have had a pair of those last year when I was layaking then I probally wouldnt have lost the nail on my big toe lol

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I mainly wear Adidas or New Balance (though I have a pair of Sauconys that I like a lot) as I have since high school. Being a running shoe, they are comfortable, light, and offer decent grip. They just don't have jack as far as toe protection goes (don't drop anything on them).

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    one explanation of ankle problems from going barefoot is plantar fasciitis, the inflammation of the tendon on the bottom of your foot. this can develop when inadequate arch support is absent. the inflammation grows to include the Achilles tendon, hence the appearance of ankle problems. support your arch and your ankles (and knees) will likely feel better.

as to tactical flip flops, i wear crocs, both the clog style and the shower shoe style. i run as well in them as any. hehe.
    the keen is a great shoe. there are several makers of similar shoes. any trail or watersport sandal, of reasonable quality, would do. imho

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Ok, bad ankles from barefoot is becuase there is no ankle support. I've played basketball and football along with a few other sports barefoot (smart i know) and have messed my self up pretty bad a few times. (worst was a foot sprain... 12 am on a cruise ship played basketball in flip flops and jeans trying to show off for a young lady and ended up on crutches for the last day of the cruise...she took care of me though :D) I have also rolled them in shoes and cleats. Even when I run on the treadmill i still wear a brace on one of my ankles.

As far as shoe suggestions, I own a nice pair of asolo hiking boots. pair of Tevas similar to the keen's already suggested as well as two or three pair of hiking shoes/boots. My shoes for work are north face tennis shoes, they are more rugged than most nike type athletic soes and are completely water proof. I have a huge array of footware... sad to admit as a guy but it is true. I guess I was more interested in knowing if anyone considers footware as an essentail part to their daily load out. Like i said it's been on my mind recently and was just curious to see if anyone else saw it as a "tactical" concern.

Thanks
    -K

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I used to wear etnies or however they are spelled. Had a pair last for about 4 years, then got a new pair and love em. Then I needed something more suited for walking on concrete all day and got some new balance and love them. they were only about $80 ish and im sure they will last for years.

I havnt had luck with walmart anything. bought a set of boots, dunno what brand, and they just blew.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I love my NBs. I have a pretty high arch and they fit great. I'll occasionally buy a pair of Reebok or Nikes, but their lifespan is crap compared to the NBs. They have a few different lines as well from tennis all the way to more rugid/hiking style shoes.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I wear name brand cowboy boots almost exclusively.

Can I run in them?

No, not really...........

But I can shoot in them, and I am walking death to any cockroach in a corner!!

Top Bottom