• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrclean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I am waiting for my permit and was wanting to know best type of holster for CC that will keep the sweat away from the gun. Will be carrying a glock 19 or a lc9 ruger.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A stainless steel handgun will help a bit. Sweat is salty by nature and salt water and blue steel is not a good mix. Also in the sunlight black as a color attracts sun shine and gets hot. Good question as I am a fan of leather holsters and they are sweat prone.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have always had this problem with my guns. I sweat like crazy. My very first carry gun was a Sig 226 and it rusted within 2 weeks. I've even been known to rust a Glock. I talked to a guy several years ago at the 1500 (i think it was the Glock armourer that is always there) and he suggested Turtle Wax. I have since heard of several guys who hunt in the swamps in Florida using Turtle Wax to protect from the salty air. Whatever type of holster you decide to go with, try to apply Turtle Wax to the exposed metal parts of your gun at least once every 2 months. Let it dry over night and buff it clean the next morning. If you think about it, it makes sense. If it can protect your car from the elements, it can protect your gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I sweat more than I care to...

But I've carried in a standard cow-leather holster (high noon split decision) without any ill effects.

I also have a Raven Phantom. Or two.

The BEST thing from a comfort standpoint that I've found is to always wear a t-shirt if I'm going to carry IWB.

-J-

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

THIS right here. I have the MTAC. It's a GREAT holster. Very comfortable. I can carry all day and it's like it's not even there. Hot days, or even at work, when I'm sweating a lot, it doesn't affect the holster AND my gun.

Raven Concealment makes a great holster as well. Many people on here just use it as an OC holster instead. And, using the search function, MANY use the MTAC.

RedCell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    s7_227754_999_01

Here you go! Only works if you're wearing white shorts or are old. Otherwise it's painfully obvious.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    One thing about sweat... Everybody's is different. I sweat a ton, but it doesn't seem to hurt my gun or holster.

I play guitar, and my sweaty fingers to tear up the strings... But if mt buddy gets his sweaty hands on a guitar, those strings gotta be replaced. Straight gunked up, no time flat.

... Turtle wax... Never would have thought of that!

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    I also use a Crossbreed Supertuck in horsehide. Stands up to work at a stable all day in late summer. I get drenched and could wring out my clothes but the holster is fine as is my weapon. Hope you give it a try. Repels moister and is very comfortable!!!

Top Bottom