Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have had some questions about getting better from a number of folks. Perhaps these observations will help somewhat.

One place that many, most people could improve is with their grip. The strong hand is for pulling the trigger and the weak hand is for holding the gun. The grip is about recoil management. If you have multiple shots to shoot and there is a time consideration then grip is going to matter. The more muzzle flip you have then it will take longer to shoot an aimed string. The more relaxed the strong hand grip the better chance of being able to press the trigger straight to the rear. The grip needs to be high on the gun. Most people do not do this. The grip needs a maximum amount of skin on the gun, and not on top of your strong hand thumb. Friction is your friend in recoil management.

Shot calling is a BFD. You cannot transition from one target to another without missing until the bullet has left the gun. Learn how to call shots and then do it all the time. My best and your best chance of hitting the target or the threat is calling my shots. I teach this in Gun Handling 101 and a number of other classes. Properly done you can perform this skill at a speed equal to or greater than the average point shooter with much better results.

Stacked targets. Shoot the bottom one first and ride the recoil to the top one rather than the other way around. This may not be as real world as shot calling and grip. But if doing a Mozambique or failure drill it comes into play. You cannot snap your eyes from a top target to a low target because the gun and your arms are in the way. Snapping the eyes is another skill that is a big deal. Snapping the eyes is a competition technique that should be more utilized in the tactical world.

Locked elbows is another thing I have observed in the last two carry gun matches. A locked elbow allows the recoil up your arm to the shoulder and then you get pushed around more than is necessary. Full extension is ok but not locked out.

Tension. Tense muscles in the neck, shoulders, and back work against you. Calm down and just do the shooting. Bring the gun to the eye and not the eye down to the gun. Keep your shoulders down in their sockets and try not to shrug while shooting.

Controlled shots, pairs or triples. No double taps, hammers or other such things. The myth that hammers and double taps are faster is a myth. Use the sights for each shot. Learn to use those sights faster. It can be done.

Not meaning to single anyone out. Just making some comments based upon what I have observed in two matches. Hope it helps.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All good advice, regardless of the shooting application!

Calling shots would also help reduce the desire to pull the trigger twice as fast as you can.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd also like to add:

Everyone is free to shoot whatever gun they want, but if you're defeating the purpose of the match if you don't use the gun(s) you actually carry the way you actually carry them.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    giphy.gif

good points, each and every one.

Shot calling is a BFD.

abso-freakin-lutely.

People never seem to believe me...

Q: "how do I learn to shoot that fast?"
    rvb: Shot calling
    Q: "how do I shoot more points?"
    Q: "why do I struggle on steel?"
    Q: "Why is my first shot always off?"

Kudos for teaching it in your 101 class. Most consider it an advanced skill and wait to introduce it when it's really a foundational building block.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Maybe people don't understand the full meaning of shot calling vs accuracy.

well, coach says he's teaching it. and it's not like I literally say "shot calling!" and then walk away. I'll explain it if someone doesn't understand what it is or how to develop it.

I'm interested in why you say "shot calling vs accuracy." not sure how to read that...

-rvb

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Accuracy: Hitting what you’re aiming at.

Shot Calling: Being able to tell where your shot went without seeing the hit.

Example: I called a mike last night and was able to make up the alpha because of it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I had some more thoughts this morning. Folks need to work on SHO and WHO for EDC purposes, and folks need to be able to comfortably shoot from left to right and right to left with multiple threats. We don't pick the time, place, circumstances of our gunfight but we are going to have to cope with what comes at us.

PhxCollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2017
    Indiana
    Thank you very much. Being a new shooter, there is lots to learn and without good Coach-ing, it is easy to be misled by YouTube videos.

I do do appreciate the time put into these matches, and am trying to soak up all I can.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Speed does not primarily come from pressing the trigger fast,. Draw fast, reload fast, shoot at the speed you can call shots and get hits.

Top Bottom