• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darngolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    I was wondering after seeing the thread 9mm or .45 which do you carry, whether how many people are like me that change up the caliber that is carried quite often. I always carry either and LCP or LCR in a pocket holster, but my main gun is constantly changing depending on mood or what I am doing that day. Typically in my rotion are a .357 magnum revolver, 9mm, .40, .357 sig, .45 and for the winter 10mm since I just got my Double Tap ammo in. I feel they are all good platforms and deserve to get to be used as often as possible.

Now I do carry all of the guns in the same location around 3:30 either IWB or OWB so location is ingrained, but some guns are double/single action and some are only SA but I feel that I practice enough and remind myself which style I am carrying each day.

Am I crazy or does anyone else change calibers and platforms on a regular basis?

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Same gun every time I carry. Same position every time I carry. Same ammunition - same caliber.

No need to confuse the manual of arms when you are carrying a 1911 that day but you thought you had a Glock on you. That would be a bummer in a stressful situation.

If you can make it work then more power to you, but I'm all for consistency. I would rather just have an all around good every situation carry gun then vary.

This post is in no way a Glock related post so let's not start a which gun is easier to operate argument. :n00b:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Yeah, I carry whichever one I feel like carrying. Top 2 choices are XD40SC and S&W 327PC.
    Next is a Beretta Tomcat.

It may be a combination of any 2 of these as well.

Other options for carry: XD40 service, GP100, P95.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I also stick with the same setup as much as possible. I don't want to have to stop and think "which weapon am I holding?" if the SHTF.

I have to admit I'm not completely consistent on that point though. I generally carry a Colt Defender (1911 with a 3" barrel) as my main carry with a .38 revolver as a BUG. I'm thinking seriously about switching to my full size Kimber 1911 as the main weapon and the Defender as the BUG so that I don't do something stupid like waste timing trying to find the safety on the revolver! The Colt and Kimber are also both .45...but since they use different magazines that wouldn't make a lot of difference in a tactical situation.

OTH, as much as I trust my 1911's....there is something comforting about the reliability of revolvers, especially as a back up.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    My carry guns consist of a Glock 19, Glock 36, Kahr PM9, and a S&W 442. I swap them out depending on my dress, weather conditions, or just what I feel like carrying. While these guns are very different, they do more or less have the same manual of arms (ie double action pull, no manual safties)

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I rotate about 4 guns. CZ 75 full size, CZ 75 semicompact, Browning HI Power, CZ 82. One is a single action and the other 3 are double action. All can be carried Cocked and Locked. All of them have a bullet in the tube. How crazy is that?

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I carry three diffent guns based on my style of dress.

With a longer jacket or shirt I carry a Springfield XD40sc. This is always my first choice.

With a tucked shirt I carry a Ruger LCR in Blackhawk ankle rig.

As a final resort I pocket carry a Ruger LCP in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster.

Summer carry is difficult with normal dress being elastic waist shorts. I may experiment with a belly bank carry for the summer.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I always carry an LCP in a pocket holster everyday everywhere. Some days or most days I will carry a G19 IWB as well.
    I'm not too smart and don't need to get confused about which gun I am carrying which day. Sure it is easy under no stress but put the stress of a fight or struggle and who knows what can happen. I like the KISS theme.

But to each their own.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    I alternate aprox. monthly between my ruger p95, and my xd 40. Sometimes I rotate more often, just whatever I feel like. Kinda hard for me to not be aware of what I put on this/that day. Kinda like "what shirt am I wearing?". I also believe if the SHTF, I wont care at all which weapon it is I draw, only that it will be emptied.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    No need to confuse the manual of arms when you are carrying a 1911 that day but you thought you had a Glock on you. That would be a bummer in a stressful situation.

If you can make it work then more power to you, but I'm all for consistency. I would rather just have an all around good every situation carry gun then vary.

Bingo.

If I need my carry gun, the situation is already interesting enough. I don't need to spice it up by wondering which gun I brought.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    My main carry has always been a Sig229 .40. I just got an M&P40c for Christmas(Thanks honey) and that will become my new carry as soon as I get a holster for it. I rarely carry my PM-9, only when I need deep concealment.

All guns have same sights and manual of arms with the exception of the DA/SA trigger on the Sig. I have no problem going between triggers.

darngolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Well everyone has made some good points. And I agree that carrying in the same location all the time is a good idea, and I do too. On the manual of arms, some good points were made on keeping the same manual of arms all the time. About 80% of the time I do too, except every once in awhile my 1911's look at me and I have to put them back in the rotation. I think my biggest reason for changing guns is it is a good excuse to justify my new toys and helps me figure out the best carry gun for me. I still have not found the perfect choice. I think the LCR or LCP are great always guns, but I prefer to have a bigger gun also.

My current carry rotation of full size guns are:
    Sig 226 in .40 or .357 sig, Ruger SP101, S&W 686 2.5" barrel, PM9, Colt delta elite, and EAA limited pro in 10mm. All but the delta elite are at least double action for the first shot so a simple manual of arms.

I appreciate everyone's input and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Top Bottom