• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    i wish i had the problem of which gun to wear today... im still stuck at being able to afford guns on my real wish list.

-zack-

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    i wish i had the problem of which gun to wear today... im still stuck at being able to afford guns on my real wish list.

-zack-
    Hang in there, take your time, only buy the ones you really want, not the ones that are like the ones you want. We've all been there before. At least, I have.

RD3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I carry g23 all the time that i can. i wan't to not have to think about which gun I have with me. Lcp in the back pocket as well. I have several others I love to shoot for for self defense I want to have no hesitation

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I expected to see the ususal posts about muscle memory, consistent manual of arms, etc. I wasn't disappointed. It all makes logical sense. I just don't buy the importance of it.

I have four guns I carry at different times depending on time of year, what I am doing, and whim. Three out of four are pull-the-gun, pull-the-trigger kind of guns: loaded w/ no manual safety to purposefully activate -- a G-19, S&W60, Sig p232. The preferred carry is a Kimber Compact.

I've never been at the range to find myself fumbling with the Model 60 to use the (non-existent) de-cocker. I've never tried to push the (non-existent) thumb safety on the Glock.

The technical types are probably right. But, I been doing this a long time and don's suspect I'll be changin' any time to soon.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Whatever I want.

My carry gun changes with the weather and dress as does the location. I usually (90% of the time) have my pocket 380 but the primary weapon changes. Maybe my thought process is wrong but if i am going to carry I am aware of what and where I carry. I also practice with my carry guns enough that I am very comfortable with them. This is a personal choice, do what works for you.:twocents:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I always keep the Colt .357 magnum in my sock drawer. For carrying, only use my Glock 19 and 21. I love both of them, but it just depends on what I'm doing or where I'm going that day. I find I can hide the 21 almost as easy as the 19, but the 19 is so much lighter if I'm gonna be on my feet a lot. I feel more comfortable with the .45 though, I find that I can hit just about anything with it.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    My carry gun changes depending on the season/climate and the expected environment. I should keep it more consistent - I recognize that. I just LOVE variety and can't seem to stick to just one. Wait... didn't Tiger say that?!??!

There are duplicates for the roles of deep concealment, small carry, midsize carry and high-cap service.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm a one gun guy. 1911 IS the gun. Sure, I have a MKIII that mimics the controls and a 38 snub in the safe for emergency, gun cleaning, etc.

I found out the hard way recently. After 3 hours of training with an airsoft Glock, I forgot the 1911 had a safety! First time in many thousand rounds I didn't use the "thumb rest" appropriately. Lucky it was a training class, otherwise I would have been dead.

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have a Rock Island Officers model clone (short barrel) that I picked up this summer that I've been carrying IWB, but am thinking of switching back to the full size Rock Island 1911 for the winter. I have also pondered carrying my Sccy 9mm in a jacket pocket with the 1911 IWB. This way if I need a weapon in a hurry and my jacket is zipped I have something easier to get to.

And before I get s**t for having a Sccy, I have put 500 rounds through it without a FTF; I trust it.:)

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I expected to see the ususal posts about muscle memory, consistent manual of arms, etc. I wasn't disappointed. It all makes logical sense. I just don't buy the importance of it.

I have four guns I carry at different times depending on time of year, what I am doing, and whim. Three out of four are pull-the-gun, pull-the-trigger kind of guns: loaded w/ no manual safety to purposefully activate -- a G-19, S&W60, Sig p232. The preferred carry is a Kimber Compact.

I've never been at the range to find myself fumbling with the Model 60 to use the (non-existent) de-cocker. I've never tried to push the (non-existent) thumb safety on the Glock.

The technical types are probably right. But, I been doing this a long time and don's suspect I'll be changin' any time to soon.

I think the muscle memory argument comes from folks with knowledge about high stress situations.

When somebody is attacking you is not exactly the time to discover that the gun you are carrying today DOES have the external safety.

I recently went rabbit hunting for the first time. I was carrying my father-in-law's 12ga. The safety is on the top, whereas my 12ga has a safety next to the trigger. Sure enough, when that rabbit popped up, I fumbled with the trigger and the darned thing didn't shoot. Good thing that rabbit wasn't packin!

That said: I have two carry guns. G19 & P3AT. Neither have an external safety. Pull trigger, go boom. I'm comfortable giving up consistency with the G19, because having the P3AT is better than nothing (when I can't practically carry the larger).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do rotate through 4 different carry guns, but they are only of two types and all 4 have safeties that operate identically. Depending on where I'm going and how I'm dressing, I carry either a full size 1911, compact 1911, Bersa 9UC or Bersa 9HC. The 9HC is mainly the nightstand weapon but does get out once in a while. Which one I carry pretty much depends on what I'm wearing and how I feel that day. Lately, I've been carrying the Compact 1911 but do switch out the 9UC with it regularly.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Actually, it depends on what I am wearing. Right now, it's winter time. Being in NWI, I need to layer, constantly. So, depending on what I am wearing, I will carry the appropriate weapon. For examples:

1. If I am wearing my leather motorcycle jacket, I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm SC in an IWB. Reason being that the jacket is high waisted and an OWB or larger weapon would be obvious.

2. If I am wearing my Cabelas Fleece Jacket, I carry my Glock 17 in a Blackhawk Serpa. It's just easier, and the coat is long enough and big enough that printing is a non-issue.

3. If I am wearing my Black leather P-Coat, I wear my 1911 in a Yaqui belt slide. The coat is long enough, but slim fitting, so the bottom of the barrel won't show, but printing would be a problem.

Anyways, that's my point, I rotate depending on what I am wearing, and also the situation. Plus, I don't want my guns to feel lonely and unloved.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Around town I go with some class and carry my new (to me) Combat Magnum 357, 4inch barrel and 6 shots of amazingly accurate 357. For work I go for my M&P 9mm. I only have S&W handguns and like to mix it up a bit to keep life interesting, but again ive been called a little weird before. :)

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I do change my carry piece from time to time. It is determined mostly by the season and sometimes by the occasion. Each different weapon has its own carry location and I am comfortable with the different draw and shoot habits from each.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was wondering after seeing the thread 9mm or .45 which do you carry, whether how many people are like me that change up the caliber that is carried quite often. I always carry either and LCP or LCR in a pocket holster, but my main gun is constantly changing depending on mood or what I am doing that day. Typically in my rotion are a .357 magnum revolver, 9mm, .40, .357 sig, .45 and for the winter 10mm since I just got my Double Tap ammo in. I feel they are all good platforms and deserve to get to be used as often as possible.

Now I do carry all of the guns in the same location around 3:30 either IWB or OWB so location is ingrained, but some guns are double/single action and some are only SA but I feel that I practice enough and remind myself which style I am carrying each day.

Am I crazy or does anyone else change calibers and platforms on a regular basis?

Yer crazy.

Top Bottom