• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have read this thread before but I guess I never did comment on it. Just wanted to say that its very good stuff BBI, I always like reading what you have to say. Thanks for putting this out there even if it was awhile back!

You know the sad thing? I've seen so many more people shot since then that I don't remember half of those cases any longer. Seriously half, I just went back and looked at them again to see if I could remember specifics beyond what I wrote. This is why I have to keep notes, they all run together.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Packing a Glock-19, have not since I did back in the day 92-97. Always carried a
    22/23/27 combo always , 98-till today.
    Don’t worry . 40 fans, just trying the back in the day look.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Lovely read.

Id be interested in a similar write up from you on the statistics of successful defensive scenarios based on mode of carry.

I have a lot of co-workers getting interested in carrying, Im sure many people here are hearing the same thing these days.
    the amount of “Im gonna get a gun just to throw in my dashboard/purse/pocket” and “Ill probably carry with out one in the chamber”
    ideas ive heard are crazy.
    Plenty of guys trying to throw 500 bucks at a gun, but know nothing of them. And dont event consider a belt or holster.

Anyway, thanks for the write up. Good stuff. Should be top page material.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Lovely read.

Id be interested in a similar write up from you on the statistics of successful defensive scenarios based on mode of carry.

I have a lot of co-workers getting interested in carrying, Im sure many people here are hearing the same thing these days.
    the amount of “Im gonna get a gun just to throw in my dashboard/purse/pocket” and “Ill probably carry with out one in the chamber”
    ideas ive heard are crazy.
    Plenty of guys trying to throw 500 bucks at a gun, but know nothing of them. And dont event consider a belt or holster.

Anyway, thanks for the write up. Good stuff. Should be top page material.

From the sticky in this category... https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...96940-random-violence-stats-ive-compiled.html
    Excellent material!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've always sort of had 3 pistols in the rotation...mostly as I've gone through my 'phases' of handgun carry over the years!
    I've tended to go for 2-3-4 years in a 'phase' where I'm focused on a particular caliber or pistol that I like...and then my approach will change for one reason or another...mostly due to having heard someone I respect make a statement or from personal experience.
    I started with revolvers and CC'd a 4" Ruger GP100, then a Ruger SP101, both in .357, through most of the '90's...
    I've been through the 'snub-nosed' phase (still have a S&W 360J) as a 'quick throw in the pocket and run to the store' revolver.
    I've been through the short-barreled, semi-auto phase, in .357SIG and .40 S&W...and that lasted for about 10 years.
    In the midst of that, I had my 1911-phase, where I carried a Colt 1991-A1 Officer's model for a few years...2000-03.
    Then I was in the .357SIG phase for about 7 years...still love the caliber, just not feasible cost-wise, although it's improving.
    From about 2013 on, I've been in a .45 acp phase, which is a caliber I'd always liked, just never invested in...and I love it.
    My wife likes 9mm and since I've been involved on the Safety & Security team at our church, tasked with the development of a Safety & Security Plan, I've begun to carry more 9mm, as most of the guys at church carry that caliber. It's not so much that I like 9mm, it's actually the 'least' or 'lightest' round I consider 'viable' but it's compatible with what others are carrying.
    Now, these past few years, the more I study and understand ballistics, the more I'm leaning towards longer-barreled pistols...especially in lighter calibers...attached is my latest build, a Glock 19 frame and a Brownells Glock 17-length slide and barrel to make it an Glock 19 'extended'...nice shooter and very accurate!

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
    5eiEEI7.jpg
    [/FONT]

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Very interesting read BBI. Im a fan of the 45 also. Im a thin person and have carried a XDs 45 4" with a 8rd mag and a comfortable iwb holster now for about a year. Back up 8rnd mag is packed too. Warm or cold its been pretty easily concealed without imprinting too much. A CRKT in this combo, it has kept me warm and fuzzy for the most part.

Last edited:

mechmc17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Zionsville
    I see the victims who live long enough to make it to the hospital. Bullet design is far more important than caliber. I have been able to identify police involved shootings before getting confirmation by history or seeing the bullet by what it does to the tissue - police are typically using quality HP rounds, while the vast majority of civilian perps use basic range-type ammo, ball or FMJ. Massive difference in terminal ballistics between the two, regardless of where the bullet would is located.

Top Bottom