• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Now, when I reholster, it means that the danger is over and it is safe for me to holster my gun. I look down to see if anything is obstructing the holster and then holster.

For the civilian carrier this is almost always the situation. I've even had people just set the gun on a counter or something after the adrenaline shakes hit so they didn't have to try and holster.

For LEO, the dynamics change a little. The situation could evolve to where the gun is no longer appropriate, and you need to holster to transition to a Taser or baton, etc. Of course, duty holsters are designed with this in mind. Much easier than with a collapsible IWB or the like.

GlockLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Pittsboro
    I've always carried with one in the chamber and the safety on. With my current edc there isn't a safety on the slide it's within the trigger. A lot of the striker fired guns don't have a slide safety, they have a trigger safety. Big difference.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Watching the ASP channel is what made me decide to always carry one in the chamber. I used to not like the idea but then realized that the trigger won't pull itself.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I carry with one in the chamber, no manual safety.

When I first started carrying, I carried it empty. As I got more comfortable, I kept one in the chamber. I understand you're hesitation.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks everyone for replying...OP here. I have been thinking about it more and more and I do need to carry a round chambered and in my weapon that I shoot with confidence.

I only plan on using the alien gear IWB when I can't use a coat so in this scenario I will chamber and holster the glock at home very carefully. I never take the gun out so as long as it is holstered I should be fine. If I get to wear a coat then most times I will be using a paddle holster and I will be extra careful to make sure my coat and zippers are free when holstering.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I stopped carrying a gun altogether. My phone is always at the ready to call 911.

It's better to carry a ham sammich! How can anybody be angry and mean when they are handed a ham sammich. When somebody attacks me, I say 'You look hungry. How about a ham sammich before you club me.'.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone for replying...OP here. I have been thinking about it more and more and I do need to carry a round chambered and in my weapon that I shoot with confidence.

I only plan on using the alien gear IWB when I can't use a coat so in this scenario I will chamber and holster the glock at home very carefully. I never take the gun out so as long as it is holstered I should be fine. If I get to wear a coat then most times I will be using a paddle holster and I will be extra careful to make sure my coat and zippers are free when holstering.

Something else to consider: Just keep the gun holstered all the time. Take the holster off with the gun in it...put the holster on with the gun in it. Put the holstered gun into the safe / bedside safe while holstered, too...

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I worried about it when I first carried. With a nice holster and proper training I prefer no safety now. However, I do carry a Da/sa gun. So that long first trigger pull helps minimize risk. Do what you're comfortable with, just realize if carry with a safety on the gun at all to train disengaging the safety as part of your draw stroke.

Clayton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    I realize I am old fashioned. But, I carry pistols chamber loaded with a manual safety on and the hammer down. I have trained myself to just flip the safety and pull the trigger.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I realize I am old fashioned. But, I carry pistols chamber loaded with a manual safety on and the hammer down. I have trained myself to just flip the safety and pull the trigger.

You trained? Yep, sounds like the old fashioned way of doing things. :)

The recurring theme seems to be being able to do "it" automatically. Whether it is just pulling the trigger or flipping the safety and pulling it, as long as there is a round ready to go and no fiddling around needed to get it to go.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Safeties? We don't need no stink'n safeties.

The Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer a very early carry auto had no safeties of any kind.

The design ran out of gas in the 20s.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I did some force on force training with airsofts. We were supposed to use replicas of our carry guns. At the time I was carrying a CZ75 Compact cocked and locked. I didn't have a CZ airsoft so I used a Glock 19. During one drill you walked toward a classmate with arms straight out. The instructor threw a ball in the air. When you saw the ball you drew and fired. It was usually within a few yards or feet from each other. This class was outside in the summer so everyone was in shorts and t-shirts. Airsofts hurt in shorts and t-shirts. The 1911 guys fumbled with their safeties. That's when I realized that during the stress of knowing pain is coming your way I'd never carry a gun with a safety again. But that's just me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    21 years carrying Glock pistols with a round in the chamber, never had an issue, never felt I needed a safety (aside from the three they already have). Essentially little different than a DA revolver.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I suspect you could fumble with the safety and still be more efficient than racking the slide to chamber a round. FWIW, all my carry pistols are either DA/SA (CZ SP-01, Sig P245) or striker fired (M&P, Kahr) and they have a round chambered.

Top Bottom