• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtrent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    I looking to get a concealed carry gun. I'm torn of if I should go single or double stack. What are the advantages and disadvantages besides capacity. What is recommend barrel length. I've been looking at the compact and sub compact guns.
    Thanks,

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You pretty much said half of it. Single stacks are easier to conceal but you give up capacity.

Same with shorter barrels. They are easier to conceal but give up velocity and sight radius.

I carry a 3" 1911 in .45acp so you can see where my priorities lie. I often OC a full size PT92 in 9mm and 17 round mags.

The point is carry what you are comfortable with. If you want a bigger gun and higher capacity buy a better holster and dress around the gun. I recommend a hybrid leather/kydex IWB tuckable for CC.

A Kel Tec in a pocket holster works pretty much anywhere too.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I looking to get a concealed carry gun. I'm torn of if I should go single or double stack. What are the advantages and disadvantages besides capacity. What is recommend barrel length. I've been looking at the compact and sub compact guns.
    Thanks,

Buddy, we could not possibly answer this question without a lot more info (like your height, weight, hand size, what you wear on a daily basis, etc).

More importantly, you need to find out for yourself. Go to a local shop and try out different pistols and holsters. Any gun store I'd ever give my business to will let me try out a firearm + holster to see if it's comfortable.

IME, the only difference between single/double stack is the capacity and maybe slightly concealment (I'm 6'6 and 250 lbs, so I can conceal a lot easier than a short, skinny guy/gal)...No reliability issues.

A single stack .45 fits nicely in my hands, but a double stack 9mm fits as well...I like having the extra capacity without losing comfort, so I usually carry a G19.

Last edited:

jtrent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    I'm 6' 200 lbs. I wear jeans and a shirt most of the time. I a full size 45 double stack and it fits my hand fine. I'm just concerned about how big it is.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    Get one of each. I carry larger guns in the winter because of what I'm wearing. I carry a smaller gun in summer for the same reason. I also carry different kinds of ammo depending on the season and the amount of clothes needed for the weather.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    6'3", 225. Single stack Glock 36 in the summer, double stack Sig 228 in the winter. I like mexican food and long walks on the beach.

Pisces.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Most gunfights end after two to three shots. I carry either a single stack Kahr or 5 shot snubbie and don't feel under armed.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Not to thread-jack, but there's got to be a write-up somewhere about getting a first gun for yourself, your SO, your kid, your dog ...whatever. Just seems like this question comes up almost daily anymore. ...does INGO even have this in a FAQ? There is a FAQ around here, isn't there??? :dunno: :D

jtrent, the good news is that there are several good carry options in all calibers by quite a few manufactures ...and, in semiauto and revolvers! So the question sounds sorta like: "I want to buy a vehicle."

Everyone here can recommend their choice for either CC or OC, and give you several good reasons. I'd recommend that, if you're just getting into the idea of carrying a firearm, give it some time, read a lot, ask questions (which, you are doing here :yesway:), find some friends and/or INGOer's in your local area who would be willing to take you to the range a few times. Visit some gun shows and stores, hold onto as many firearms as you're able to (though, not all at one time! :D). It's all in the name of research, however much fun the process is!

If you had to buy a gun today and didn't offer any criteria, I'd recommend a Glock G19 for a double stack 9mm or a Kahr PM9 for a single stack 9mm, or something on that order (then again, I don't even know your budget). Of course, all the 1911 and revolver guys and gals are shaking their heads and rolling their eyes now. :rolleyes: :D

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Try as many as you can, in order to find the gun that fits you best, and you are most comfortable and confident shooting, and fits your budget. A lot of folks will say Glock 19, and that's a great place to start for at least 75% of people.

Once that has been determined, find a good, sturdy holster and spare double mag pouch, and figure out how to make them fit into the way you dress.

Some compromises may have to be made on style of dress, and style of carry. The most important thing is to use a quality holster. That makes a big difference when it comes to comfort. Keep in mind though, that comfort is relative. You don't carry a gun because it is comfortable, you carry it because it is comforting.

Whatever you do, don't go to the 1500 with a wad of cash, and walk out with a Ruger P95, and a nylon holster that has the spare mag pouch on the front of it; or some useless $25 nylon shoulder holster. Holsters should be leather or Kydex, not nylon. (I hear the Ruger is reliable, but it is my favorite example of a behemoth to carry)

If you are planning on making these purchases at the 1500, go talk to the INGO representatives there, or INGO supporters who don't sell pistols or holsters. Explain your situation, and they'll be able to give you unbiased advice, because they are dis-interested third parties.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I certainly wouldn't plan around that assumption, even if it were true.

Most gunfights don't end until at least one party bows out. I haven't read in the new 2012 rule book how many that's supposed to be. Then again, some people cheat.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Lots of good choices out there. As alludded to above, you have the happy chore of choosing what you like best! I'm 5' 7", 220. Short n fat. I carry a P32 in a cheapie DeSantis pocket holster or a spiffy kydex clip on I picked up from Buckshot in Winchester. I often carry a Springfield Ultra Compact in a Bianchi paddle holster. On holidays and for barbeques I carry my baby, a lovely Sig 229R in .40, .357 Sig, or .22, in a top of the line holster. It's a Crossbreed Supertuck. Makes a big ol 229 disappear iwb.

Top Bottom