• ...and so much more!
  • XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    OK I have a group of buddies who get together for a hog roast/gun shoot at some property owned by on of them in Illinois. Can I legally carry any gun into Illinois if I am going to shoot it on private property? I took my .22 last year not thinking too much about it. Now that I have been on here for a while I have started to wonder about this. I would of course like to do it again this year and take the 700 with me. If i can't carry the pistol, no biggie there will be plenty of guys there with FOID cards that will let me shoot theirs.

GLV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Loganport
    More

I would go a bit further than the above--ammo separate from the gun/s, all magazines empty, everything cased and not acessable to anyone in driver/passenger compartment.

Do not exceed the speed limit!!!Illinois is not a :welcome:gun owners place except well south.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I was under the assumption a handgun could be brought through Illinois without a FOID card - locked in lockbox and ammo separate WHILE DRIVING THROUGH the state with no specific stops?? Is my assumption wrong here?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You are allowed to possess firearms in Illinois as an Indiana resident. Just make sure they are legal there (no class 3, AWB in Cook County). Illinois' laws on transport is unloaded, in a case, in the trunk. If you don't have a trunk it either has to be locked up, or disassembled. Loaded mags with the gun are OK, just not IN the gun.

The locked up with ammo separate laws are for FOPA '86 and are for travel THROUGH a state where you are not allowed to have something. If your firearm is legal in that state, you just have to transport according to their laws.

For example.... if I take my handgun to IL to shoot at a friend's farm (do this ALL the time), it only has to be unloaded and encased.

However, if I take my SBR and suppressors to Wisconsin through IL, when I am in IL they must be encased, locked and ammo separate.

Hope this helps.

Signed,
    A Liberated former resident of the People's Republic of Illinois.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
    Is it legal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm? Yes, so long as the firearm is unloaded and properly enclosed in a case.

IL does not regulate where ammo has to be. It just can't be in the chamber, or in a loaded magazine that's loaded into the gun.

1 and 2 are clear cut. 3 is hazy. Some cops say if it's in a case, it's not immediately accessible so it doesn't matter where it is, some say it has to be in the back seat or out of arms reach, others say it can't be in the same compartment as the passengers. Be safe and put it out of sight.

I was a resident of IL for the last 23 years until this last october.

Nothing has to be locked. A loaded mag can be in the same compartment as the gun, legally.

Illinois State Police FAQsFirearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    must be gun locks as well unless in a case that is locked. the cops are real but holes about firearms there. grew up on the boarder and jump ship soon as i could. my advise is this. separate cases for ammo and gun both that lock. put a trigger lock on the gun or brake it down (lock is best). They WILL give you as hard as atime as they can. oh and chicago is worse the calis laws.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    must be gun locks as well unless in a case that is locked. the cops are real but holes about firearms there. grew up on the boarder and jump ship soon as i could. my advise is this. separate cases for ammo and gun both that lock. put a trigger lock on the gun or brake it down (lock is best). They WILL give you as hard as atime as they can. oh and chicago is worse the calis laws.

Negative. You don't need gunlocks. It has to be completely enclosed in a case. The case has to be either tied, snapped, buckled, or otherwise fastened so as to completely cover the firearm.

If you actually read the law, it says not immediately accessible OR disassembled into a non-functioning state.

skynyrd1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My wife and I went to the NHRA races in Indy a few years back. I have a CCL in my home state of Arkansas. Before we left home, I contacted both Indiana and Illinois about carrying my pistol. Indiana said :welcome: just act as I normally would at home. Different story from IL............:nono: Better do as they say and keep the weapon unloaded and stored away. Just as we crossed into IL all we saw were LE pulling people over right and left. They are serious about their 55 mph speed limit and you do NOT want to give them a reason to pull you over.Especially with out of state plates.

That has been my experience with IL........ALWAYS check with whatever states you will be crossing when traveling.

Top Bottom