• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    I CC'ed yesterday w/a Don Hume IWB holster... Carried for about 2 hrs --- OUCH! Not comfortable. Slide kept scratching my side. Do most wear a t-shirt or tank top under to pad skin from holsters when IWB carrying? It got to the point wear i wanted to to just pull it out and put it in my pocket... Thinking maybe my frame is not made to IWB carry.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    :twocents:

CC is not an exact science because everyone has different body types, carry weapons and holsters. I would suggest that you try an undershirt to limit the "scraping" of the slide, using your existing holster.

Some other possiblities would be

A different holster, the crossbreed supertuck is highly regarded. I personally use a Galco summer comfort at 4 o'clock with a full size semi automatic. It's pretty comfortable and I can carry like that with cargo shorts and a thin leather belt, securely.

Placing your existing holster on a different part of your body and wearing it for a few hours. You may have to try a few different positions to find a comfortable spot.

A smaller sidearm would be more comfortable and easier to carry. I don't necessarily recommend it, but it's an option.

I would not recommend carrying it in the small of your back. While this may be very comfortable, it is a bad idea. It is directly on your spine, should you fall. It is difficult to reach quickly, should you need to draw your weapon. It prints very badly when you lean over. The printing is not a deal breaker, but the other two issues are, imo.

Experiment, don't give up hope if you want to CC and if all else fails, just OC if you are determined to Every Day Carry.

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I CC'ed yesterday w/a Don Hume IWB holster... Carried for about 2 hrs --- OUCH! Not comfortable. Slide kept scratching my side. Do most wear a t-shirt or tank top under to pad skin from holsters when IWB carrying? It got to the point wear i wanted to to just pull it out and put it in my pocket... Thinking maybe my frame is not made to IWB carry.
    Check out Cross Breed IWB. I have owned one for about three months now and wow it is great. I am a small frame about 130 lbs. So I usually wear a tank top and then a t-shirt over that not tucked in. Very comfortable I cannot even tell I have it on. I carry a Glock 22 .40cal which I feel is not a small gun, the cross breed hides it very well. I drive with it on. Once you get it broken in to your shape of your body. I have never been more happy with it.:popcorn:

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Thanks for the replies... i am carrying an XD 40 4", which is not small either. I will try again today. Might try more of a 4 o'clock position too

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is why people who carry pistols have a drawer full of holsters. Or at the very least they post some of the extra kydex/leather on INGO. If you ask 10 gun owners what types of holster they prefer you will get 10 answers. Keep that in mind as I give you a few suggestions that worked for me.

1) Start buying your pants one size bigger around the waist.
    2) You have to support the weight of a gun. Get yourself a good 1.5 inch wide gun belt. Something double thick. I have a belt from the BeltMan and it is very comfortable and high quality.
    3) Invest in a good holster that spreads the weight of the gun. The CompTac MTac adn CrossBreed SuperTuck are two that get mentioned a lot. I have a CompTac Spartan (similar to the MTAC), and have found it to be comfortable in the 4-5 oclock positions. You can adjust the ride height and cant of the firearm.
    4) Wear an undershirt to keep the gun from rubbing the love handles.

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    This is why people who carry pistols have a drawer full of holsters. Or at the very least they post some of the extra kydex/leather on INGO. If you ask 10 gun owners what types of holster they prefer you will get 10 answers. Keep that in mind as I give you a few suggestions that worked for me.

1) Start buying your pants one size bigger around the waist.
    2) You have to support the weight of a gun. Get yourself a good 1.5 inch wide gun belt. Something double thick. I have a belt from the BeltMan and it is very comfortable and high quality.
    3) Invest in a good holster that spreads the weight of the gun. The CompTac MTac adn CrossBreed SuperTuck are two that get mentioned a lot. I have a CompTac Spartan (similar to the MTAC), and have found it to be comfortable in the 4-5 oclock positions. You can adjust the ride height and cant of the firearm.
    4) Wear an undershirt to keep the gun from rubbing the love handles.
    Very good advice. He is right. I have just as many holsters as the wife has shoes and handbags. You just have to keep on trying different things and over time you will find what works for you.:popcorn:

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    I CC a Beretta 9 in a 4 oclock CrossBreed on a 1.5" Beltman belt and Perry suspenders. Yes, suspenders! Worn over a tee. The suspenders are wide, flat, adjustable and link to the belt, so the weight of the gun/holster is supported very comfortably without the constant adjusting. A tip learned from Jim Floyd. Perrys are available at WalMart for around $10. Small investment for so much comfort.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I've had a few XD's. Loved them all...

You might check out the ClipDraw ( The Clipdraw - SpringfieldXDStore.com )
    Some guys don't like it, but I loved it! It is versatile, gets the weapon close to the body (to reduce printing) and it is easily removed. It was secure enough to feel confident even when riding my motorcycle.
    Over the years, you too will accumulate at least one drawer full of holsters. Just keep trying new things until you find what's best for you!

Also, concealed carry isn't necessarily always comfortable, but it is always comforting. :twocents:

rayf268

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    ft wayne
    I carry a snubbie but the only holster I have used and love is a uncle mikes IWB carried in the 9 0'clock. I am active in work ( bending and reaching in public) and have worn it for 20 hours plus and don't even notice it. gun is close too 2lbs loaded and I have freaked out thinking I lost my gun for a sec till I feel it on my side.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I carry my XD 45c daily in a Crossbreed ST on a Beltman belt with the stiffener insert built into the belt. Very comfortable and easy to make the weapon disappear. The leather does make a differnece against my skin, as I do not wear an undershirt. If you get a CB ST, don't be afraid to spend the extra $ to get the horsehide option.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom